• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's your thoughts on Jonathan Mitchell?

I underwent TMS like the character in his novel but not to care my autism like his character did, I wanted my depression treated.

I read part of his "Undiagnosing Gates, Jefferson and Einstein". I didn't find his arguments convincing. With Einstein, he talks about how studies on Einstein's brain were at odds with some other study of autistic brains. From what I know this is not a good argument. Anyway, very few of us are Einsteins. I recently noticed Bill Gates rocks back and forth when giving interviews, too. Even with that he still tries to undiagnose him with things like he does too well with women. Tell this guy to read the DSM instead of using stereotypes.

I mean agree to some extent. Autism is a disability. And that's the end of what I agree with. Why does everything need a cure? Yeah even if the world changed in some ways I might still struggle but I like myself and I find no need to change it.

I think for some autistic people it is just a brain difference however my situation means that I won't be able to access things like some jobs and higher education and I can be slow to learn new skills. Nevertheless I like myself.

Also I don't get why people care about saying "I am autistic" do they not know how adjectives work? Ah yes I have 17, I have funny, I have woman.

While I can't always relate with a lot of the neurodiverse advocates on social media I don't doubt their stories nor do I belittle them because they didn't have my life. It's called a spectrum for a reason. A lot of parents and people like him only remember the suffering.

I was the kid having 1+ meltdowns a day, in all sorts of therapies, could not understand or talk about my feelings, very clumsy etc but I grew. I am not perfect and I am certainly not cured but I have changed with help. If parents want to help their kids why not accept them as they are not a person trapped in an autism shell but as a full human compete as they are autism and all. I did OT and DBT among others but those helped the most. My parents allow me to stim and have my interests and live my life and I am much more regulated than before.

When he keeps talking about a "cure" he is going against everything that is known about autism. He needs to stop using that misguided word just as even Autism Speaks did.

New Threads

Top Bottom