• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's YOUR definition of disability?

Marianna Jimenez

Take_Me_To_Your_Leader
Hello Everyone!

I hope you are all having a good day. I would like to ask your opinions or experience with the term disability.

I've seen many documents for employment and media that have a vague definition of what is considered disabled. There are visible and non-visible disabilities. Those who are high functioning and low functioning. Even including those partially impaired. If you all can share your internal definition or have links to share, I greatly appreciate it.

Good question. Always a lot of threads arguing this point. Having given it great thought over a number of years, I think such a thing is ultimately a matter for the beholder. I don't think there can be a truly objective definition of what constitutes a disability, though it's no secret what legal definitions entail pertaining to government entitlements.

People in general can have any number of traits and behaviors that can impact their lives defined in terms of everything from minor discomfort and disappointments to failure and complete ruin. With or without entitlements.

In my own case, I've never felt that my autism and comorbid conditions have disabled me, though they certainly have limited my possibilities for optimal living. That said, nevertheless I've managed my own affairs as an adult entirely on my own. I've also had a string of failed relationships and I know I will die quite alone.

I guess in the final analysis rather than to contemplate whether it all constitutes a "disability", I'd prefer to lament that my life has been a steady stream of "being both the bug and the windshield". :oops:

I have no doubt I know have a disability, issues walking distance, due to stroke, being an Aspie never a problem from my perspective. I can now park in the disabled parking spots.

Last edited:
When you are unable to meet your own needs - whether that be physical ior mental or emotional, then you could be said to have a disability. But I know this is too simple.

When you are unable to meet your own needs - whether that be physical ior mental or emotional, then you could be said to have a disability. But I know this is too simple.
To that I would add an inability to work or be self supporting somehow

I use the social model. A disability is when you are unable or have difficulty doing something, and our society assumes that people are supposed to be able to do that thing, and the mismatch between your abilities and society's expectations causes problems in your life.

I use the social model. A disability is when you are unable or have difficulty doing something, and our society assumes that people are supposed to be able to do that thing, and the mismatch between your abilities and society's expectations causes problems in your life.

I actually really like this model. Initially, I'd argue that any condition that affects your abilities in a negative way would be a disability, but that would include myopia, yet people aren't seen as disabled when they're short-sighted (if only because we've got glasses that fix it).

Your definition fixes that flaw in my definition quite elegantly, though, since short-sighted people are still able to meet society's demands quite easily.

New Threads

Top Bottom