• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's up with Disney buying everything?

SL JediKnight

Let's see they own Lucasfrim witch is Star wars they own marvel they now own fox some question if that was legal or not what's next will they buy star trek?

Let's see they own Lucasfrim witch is Star wars they own marvel they now own fox some question if that was legal or not what's next will they buy star trek?

I doubt Disney would buy Star Trek for a multitude of reasons which are covered here: WI: Disney Buys the Star Trek Franchise
On top of that, I doubt Disney will be doing much more buying since their acquisition of Fox and set up of Disney+.

As for why they're buying so much, they're doing it because they're a business; their goal is and always has been to make money, with that task sometimes involving the purchase of other companies/businesses as long as they can make you a good profit.
To quote from Quora, "Disney is a business that was established to capitalize on the feeling of happiness that derives from being entertained. To generate profits. Disney, as a business, is achieving the very purpose it was meant to."
So whether it's entertainment made from acquired properties like Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars, brand new content (be it Live action or animated) or remakes of old content, Disney will be happy as long as the money keeps rolling in.

Funnily enough, I was reminded of this fan made villain song for Disney regarding their remakes of old movies:

As much as I hate Disney's trilogy for Star Wars, I'm glad they bought the rights to it.

Imagine if George didn't sell it to them and just ended it. The thought of Star Wars being done is something I don't even want to think about, it's a massive part of my life as an interest and obsession.

The company I work for has for many years systematically bought up it's rivals, but it reaches a point where it has to stop, often when monopolies commissions get involved in their latest purchase.

Disney has brought new life and new fans to Star Wars just like the prequels did. Even if some purists don't like it, it's still a force to be reckoned with (no pun intended).
Whilst it may have got off to a rocky start, The Mandalorian is primo stuff and most fans seem to agree. Perhaps the teething troubles are over.

I doubt Disney would buy Star Trek for a multitude of reasons which are covered here: WI: Disney Buys the Star Trek Franchise
On top of that, I doubt Disney will be doing much more buying since their acquisition of Fox and set up of Disney+.

As for why they're buying so much, they're doing it because they're a business; their goal is and always has been to make money, with that task sometimes involving the purchase of other companies/businesses as long as they can make you a good profit.
To quote from Quora, "Disney is a business that was established to capitalize on the feeling of happiness that derives from being entertained. To generate profits. Disney, as a business, is achieving the very purpose it was meant to."
So whether it's entertainment made from acquired properties like Pixar, Marvel and Star Wars, brand new content (be it Live action or animated) or remakes of old content, Disney will be happy as long as the money keeps rolling in.

Funnily enough, I was reminded of this fan made villain song for Disney regarding their remakes of old movies:
I never forget employees at disneyland florida calling the company mousewitz and the company threatened them so they thought up Duckhau

The Walt Disney Company is a vertical conglomerate. So it's no accident that whatever mergers and acquisitions they are involved in, are all interrelated to help and develop other entertainment oriented operations within the corporation itself. This arrangement is enormously advantageous in that the parent corporation has total control from top-to-bottom of most forms of product development and services offered.

It's like the equivalent of a command economy in the public sector. Effectively operating like a dictatorship, but in the private sector. With present government regulators more prone to giving Disney a blind eye in considerations of monopoly business practices as long as their competitors maintain a certain level of profitability.

Though none of this inhibits the possibility of collusion between one major studio and another...o_O

Last edited:
The company I work for has for many years systematically bought up it's rivals, but it reaches a point where it has to stop, often when monopolies commissions get involved in their latest purchase.

Disney has brought new life and new fans to Star Wars just like the prequels did. Even if some purists don't like it, it's still a force to be reckoned with (no pun intended).
Whilst it may have got off to a rocky start, The Mandalorian is primo stuff and most fans seem to agree. Perhaps the teething troubles are over.

Not yet. There's a lot of resentment towards disney over how the last two movies were done. This next one may finally lead to positive changes if it fails badly enough.

Anyone know if the clone wars series they announced a few months back is actually coming to television anytime soon?

They deal less with monopoly laws if they vertically morp, but horizontally morphing will get the feds up their mini mouse hole pretty fast.

Not yet. There's a lot of resentment towards disney over how the last two movies were done. This next one may finally lead to positive changes if it fails badly enough.

To plenty of others those sour grapes sound just the same as those who complained that the prequels were rubbish and totally destroyed the Star Wars mythos. TPM wasn't what I hoped it would be but it set the scene for 2 much better movies. Post Disney - TFA was great fun - full of all the ingredients it needed to reel in a new generation of fans and TLJ took risks - risks that were worthwhile. I like bitter old Luke. He was realistic and good riddance to Snoke - he was just Palpatine lite anyway.
Me - I just enjoy it for what it is - escapist nonsense. It's not to be taken seriously, it's to be enjoyed - entertainment. I've got tickets booked for luxury seats at a 3D showing of TROS on the 20th and I'll walk out of that cinema with a grin like a Cheshire cat whilst laughing at the young 'uns trying to analyse the living daylights out of what is nothing more than a bit of fun.
Best Star Wars movies (IMO) are Star Wars and Rogue One with Empire a close runner up, but I enjoyed every one of them.
Now as to what they'll do with the Alien franchise...

To plenty of others those sour grapes sound just the same as those who complained that the prequels were rubbish and totally destroyed the Star Wars mythos. TPM wasn't what I hoped it would be but it set the scene for 2 much better movies. Post Disney - TFA was great fun - full of all the ingredients it needed to reel in a new generation of fans and TLJ took risks - risks that were worthwhile. I like bitter old Luke. He was realistic and good riddance to Snoke - he was just Palpatine lite anyway.
Me - I just enjoy it for what it is - escapist nonsense. It's not to be taken seriously, it's to be enjoyed - entertainment. I've got tickets booked for luxury seats at a 3D showing of TROS on the 20th and I'll walk out of that cinema with a grin like a Cheshire cat whilst laughing at the young 'uns trying to analyse the living daylights out of what is nothing more than a bit of fun.
Best Star Wars movies (IMO) are Star Wars and Rogue One with Empire a close runner up, but I enjoyed every one of them.

Fair enough. Still hope they make something better. Wouldnt mind one about the great hyperspace war. Minus the infusion of real world poltics

Well, you're always going to get people who get engrossed in every part of a major franchise. Outside of the movies, Star Wars has had books, comics, TV shows and video games (both before and after Disney de-canonized a majority of it) that either serve to continue the stories laid out around the main characters of the Original/Prequel Trilogies or expand the universe by exploring the past/present/future with other characters old and new at the forefront - all of which kept the franchise alive when the movies stopped.
For people who become fans and get sucked into all this, it's a treasure trove of great material to learn more about the franchise and - through the resources and their imagination - they can enter into a fleshed out and magical universe whose lore consists of wizards with laser swords, a mega-menagerie of various worlds and species, epic space battles with ships that can destroy worlds and more, all wrapped up complete with soldiers, pirates, witches, robots and so on.

It can be very easy to get sucked into the lore, not only to the point where you're buying all the merchandise and attending the cons, etc. but to the point where when anything new comes out that's related to this universe you've grown to love you will scrutinize it for every detail; not because you're a "sour grape" but because you want this franchise to succeed and be the best it can be.
For me I got annoyed with the Disney Trilogy as Rey and Kylo just seem like secondhand versions of the much better established characters Jaina and Jacen Solo (Han and Leia's twin children) that were been shoved into Luke and Vader's character roles in a copy-and-paste of A New Hope (almost like we were just been fed table scraps rather than been given something new with potential, like George Lucas' planned ideas for the Sequel Trilogy that were ignored).
The Last Jedi had some good stuff - I did like the score in particular, the special effects were good and I agree that Luke been a bitter man after seeing everything destroyed was an interesting idea - but I felt a lot of the decisions both in that movie and what lead up to it aren't done well at all and it shook me out of my suspension of disbelief.
Outside of the trilogy, I did like Rogue One: A Star Wars Story as, while it had flaws and "bringing back" Peter Cushing even though he's been dead since 1994 was a controversial decision, Rogue One genuinely felt like a Star Wars film and the final scene with Vader was definitely one of my favourite Star Wars moments. As for Solo, I haven't seen that one yet so I won't pass comment.
(Outside the movies, Rian Johnson calling those who posted criticisms of his movie "basement-dwelling manbabies" was bang out of order - especially as most of those people he criticized were likely people whose continued love and support kept the franchise going long enough for him to be given a crack at making a film in the series).

Anywho, I've rambled long enough.
If you just choose to watch the movies purely for sci-fi/fantasy escapism and without looking deeper into it, then all power to you and I hope you enjoy the next film (your viewing arrangements alone sound impressive).
Just understand that for me and a lot of fans who are deep into the lore and aren't happy with Disney's Trilogy, the majority of us aren't happy not because we're sour grapes, manbabies, woman haters or whatever other insults gets thrown at us - we just want this award-winning franchise we have grown to love (and whose first two films have been inducted into the National Film Registry for been "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant", no less) to be the best it can be, with it feeling like Disney and Lucasfilm have let us down with the sequel trilogy.

Well, you're always going to get people who get engrossed in every part of a major franchise. Outside of the movies, Star Wars has had books, comics, TV shows and video games (both before and after Disney de-canonized a majority of it) that either serve to continue the stories laid out around the main characters of the Original/Prequel Trilogies or expand the universe by exploring the past/present/future with other characters old and new at the forefront - all of which kept the franchise alive when the movies stopped.
For people who become fans and get sucked into all this, it's a treasure trove of great material to learn more about the franchise and - through the resources and their imagination - they can enter into a fleshed out and magical universe whose lore consists of wizards with laser swords, a mega-menagerie of various worlds and species, epic space battles with ships that can destroy worlds and more, all wrapped up complete with soldiers, pirates, witches, robots and so on.

It can be very easy to get sucked into the lore, not only to the point where you're buying all the merchandise and attending the cons, etc. but to the point where when anything new comes out that's related to this universe you've grown to love you will scrutinize it for every detail; not because you're a "sour grape" but because you want this franchise to succeed and be the best it can be.
For me I got annoyed with the Disney Trilogy as Rey and Kylo just seem like secondhand versions of the much better established characters Jaina and Jacen Solo (Han and Leia's twin children) that were been shoved into Luke and Vader's character roles in a copy-and-paste of A New Hope (almost like we were just been fed table scraps rather than been given something new with potential, like George Lucas' planned ideas for the Sequel Trilogy that were ignored).
The Last Jedi had some good stuff - I did like the score in particular, the special effects were good and I agree that Luke been a bitter man after seeing everything destroyed was an interesting idea - but I felt a lot of the decisions both in that movie and what lead up to it aren't done well at all and it shook me out of my suspension of disbelief.
Outside of the trilogy, I did like Rogue One: A Star Wars Story as, while it had flaws and "bringing back" Peter Cushing even though he's been dead since 1994 was a controversial decision, Rogue One genuinely felt like a Star Wars film and the final scene with Vader was definitely one of my favourite Star Wars moments. As for Solo, I haven't seen that one yet so I won't pass comment.
(Outside the movies, Rian Johnson calling those who posted criticisms of his movie "basement-dwelling manbabies" was bang out of order - especially as most of those people he criticized were likely people whose continued love and support kept the franchise going long enough for him to be given a crack at making a film in the series).

Anywho, I've rambled long enough.
If you just choose to watch the movies purely for sci-fi/fantasy escapism and without looking deeper into it, then all power to you and I hope you enjoy the next film (your viewing arrangements alone sound impressive).
Just understand that for me and a lot of fans who are deep into the lore and aren't happy with Disney's Trilogy, the majority of us aren't happy not because we're sour grapes, manbabies, woman haters or whatever other insults gets thrown at us - we just want this award-winning franchise we have grown to love (and whose first two films have been inducted into the National Film Registry for been "culturally, historically, or aesthetically significant", no less) to be the best it can be, with it feeling like Disney and Lucasfilm have let us down with the sequel trilogy.

Have a very bad feeling about this new star wars movie. Especially given the latest news from geeks and gamers and the quartering.

@AGXStarseed Do you think I haven't read countless Star Wars books, comics and websites? Played countless video games based on the franchise? Do you believe I don't recognise most Easter eggs before some YouTube pundit points them out? Have I not bought the movies on VHS then DVD & Bluray and watched all the TV shows, including the Tartovsky ones? Have I not got an old VHS bootleg of the Holiday Special?
I have grown up with Star Wars as I have Doctor Who and Star Trek, but it's folly to take them as seriously as many do simply because they are fiction and fiction is malleable. Canon is NEVER sacrosanct. I love many of the (now) Legends tales but the current owners of the property have expunged them from Canon.
Trek is chock full of continuity errors and has 2, possibly 3 distinct timelines, but I enjoy them all for the entertainment they are. We have a problem in this world today wherein news media and politicians treat fact as being as subject to whim as fiction. I will save my concerns for that and enjoy my fantasy stories for just that.
I can love Luke Skywalker as much as a bitter, crotchety old git as his swashbuckling, First Order vanquishing alternative. They're stories to help me escape from the bitter truths of reality. I love them for that and cannot get wound up when they don't do what I want them to, especially when I see younger generations engaging the same way I did.
One can love a franchise and be absorbed within it's fantasy world without taking it too seriously and forgiving it's lesser moments for the sake of enjoying it's triumphs. I don't do sport, but I know that no team or player wins EVERY game.

Disney has realized that the number of ways to distribute media has exploded and that the best opportunity to make money is in owning the content that is distributed to theaters, TV, streaming services, etc. So, they have been buying up companies that own the most content.

New Threads

Top Bottom