• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's the appeal of Overwatch?

BrokenBoy

戯言使い(Nonsense User)
Seriously I really hate that game. It's a very blatant ripoff of TF2 and the developers are SJW's. I also hate how generic the games aesthetic is. It's just the same Sci-fi FPS look we see in every game although I haven't played it the game doesn't seem the game adds anything new to the table gameplay wise. So in general you'd rather be better off playing TF2.

So why do people like it again?

So, because the game has 2 Characters that are Gay makes the Overwatch Dev Team SJWs? ok kiddo

And, who cares if it's a supposed Team Fortress 2 ripoff, it's a fun game. That's what matters most.

I don't know that's up with you bashing video games people enjoy (See: your Nintendo Games thread) but it's be nice if you'd just let people enjoy what they want in peace without bashing them. Plus, you're hating a game that you haven't even played. Which says a lot.

I'm into it because it has a Fungbot (My nickname for Zenyatta, seeing as he reminds me of Master Fung from Xiaolin Showdown). Yeah: The majority of my love for Overwatch comes from the fact parts of it remind me of Xiaolin Showdown. With a dash of X-Men, courtesy of Winston.

I had a lot of strong opinions at your age too, so I ain't judgin! :D

And I have so many students that love Overwatch! I don't know anything about it, though. They ask me if I play and look like this when I say that I don't: :mad:

One kid said, "UGH WHY DONT YOU KNOW ANYTHING??"

I wish there was a laughing face in this set! :);):cool::D

I don't know - what's the appeal of TF2?

Since Fortnite I just decided to not bother with such questions regarding popular FPS.

Seriously I really hate that game. It's a very blatant ripoff of TF2 and the developers are SJW's. I also hate how generic the games aesthetic is. It's just the same Sci-fi FPS look we see in every game although I haven't played it the game doesn't seem the game adds anything new to the table gameplay wise. So in general you'd rather be better off playing TF2.

So why do people like it again?

...Dont do the "SJW" thing. Seriously. No matter who uses that term, and no matter the reason, it never paints that person in a good light.

The internet pulls that derpage enough as it is, dont need even MORE of it, and it has literally nothing to do with the game. That's one term that needs to go the way of the dodo. The fact that it isnt already long-dead baffles me. I know the collective internet is about as bright as a box of hair, but that one is getting ridiculous. They could at least come up with some new stupid thing to focus on and whine about.

AHEM. Anyway....

As for the game itself, it's a few things:

1. It's Blizzard. Many people will buy almost anything Blizzard spits out, even despite the link to Activision. They are freaking legends in the industry, with a legacy that reaches all the way back to the SNES era. Very, very few other developers can even hope to match that level of sheer renown and status.

2. Bright, colorful, memorable characters, well animated, in a bright and colorful world. It's pretty hard to do this in such a way that makes it memorable, in game design. But they pulled it off. It's a subjective thing, but many would agree that they did it right. If anything, TF2's characters are a bit more generic than these guys. That game was conceived in a bit of a different era, and in this day and age, it really shows.

3. SHOOTY BANG BANG

4. It's designed for e-sports type play, which means a really extreme focus on a specific sort of competition that encourages people to form permanent teams. TF2, on the other hand, is more designed for chaotic multiplayer. Believe me, there IS a difference between those two concepts, and it's a big one. It'd take way too long for me to describe it though.

5. As much as I hate to say this, I do suspect that some players have reached the point of genuine addiction. The lootboxes and all. Note that TF2 can do this too, albeit with different tactics. But Activision is one of the two most evil publishers, so Overwatch is more effective at that type of treachery.

6. There's a bit more depth to it. TF2's combat is a bit on the simplistic side. And yes, I've played it, and Overwatch, before. Overwatch however goes quite a bit further with the character gameplay designs, giving them more abilities, and more importantly, really VARIED abilities. TF2 never did that very well. Overwatch does it REALLY well. I dont like Activision-Blizzard one bit, but I gotta hand it to the devs: They did one hell of an amazing job on this aspect of the game. That's not too surprising though. Blizzard is considered to be a legendary developer for a reason, even if they have started to tumble hard in the last few months as Activision's corruption of them enters it's final phase.

7. The e-sports style of focus means that things such as tournaments are broadcasted alot, giving the game alot of added visibility and getting consumers interested. Activision-Blizzard may be evil, but they are a very active sort of evil. They do push those tourneys and such, and the Blizzard name alone adds alot of extra muscle to it. For Valve, TF2 kinda just sits on the horizon for them, watching from a distance. They stopped focusing on it long ago, and shifted their full focus to things like Dota instead (makes sense, with how that exploded. They would have been utter fools if they didnt focus on Dota like they have). Not to mention that Valve is an alarmingly lazy group in alot of ways. I say this as a very long-time Steam user.

8. Overwatch is new. TF2 is old. That one is an incredibly simple point, but when it comes to multiplayer games, it's also one of the biggest points. The longer something has been out, the further it inches towards becoming a dead product. That TF2 has lasted THIS long is nothing short of amazing. But that age means that it has little chance against such a juggernaut.

9. Youtubers and Twitch streamers scream about it alot. Like, ALOT. That's even more coverage and more consumers tempted towards a purchase.

10. In a way, the things that have been done with the characters and such also affect it. When people think of characters from Overwatch, they will then specifically think of Overwatch, the game. Makes sense, right? But when people see TF2 characters, that may not be the case. They may think of Garry's Mod, or the 5 quintillion videos/skits/memes/whatever that those characters have appeared in. Valve did a good thing, I think, in allowing basically anyone to use their characters for basically anything. But this also shifts focus away from the main product by associating it with too many other things. Which didnt matter too much when TF2 was alone, but now that it has direct competition, they're starting to feel the side effects of it.

I could probably keep this up for awhile, but I think you get the point. I will always repeat the idea that gameplay is more important than anything else... but gameplay alone isnt what drives sales or pulls in attention from consumers and actually holds it there. There's so much more to it than just that. Much to my constant annoyance.

So, because the game has 2 Characters that are Gay makes the Overwatch Dev Team SJWs? ok kiddo
That's not what I mean. I'm bi myself and usually enjoy LGBT respresentation. But the way it was handled it in the case of Overwatch was kinda horrible. And also theres other types of fictional diversity, not just LGBT respresentation.

Now I'm mad IRL, thanks a lot.
But when people see TF2 characters, that may not be the case.
That's blatantly incorrect and everyone knows it.
2. Bright, colorful, memorable characters, well animated, in a bright and colorful world. It's pretty hard to do this in such a way that makes it memorable, in game design. But they pulled it off. It's a subjective thing, but many would agree that they did it right. If anything, TF2's characters are a bit more generic than these guys. That game was conceived in a bit of a different era, and in this day and age, it really shows.
You're wrong. Totally wrong! TF2's characters are all very distinct from eachother in terms of design. Also TF2's world can also be very bright and colourful and it has a distinct steampunk look to it unlike Overwatch's generic futuristic sci-fi look. Just because the playable cast is all male doesn't make it generic. I'd argue Overwatch is more generic because it tends to give most of it's female characters the same general body type.

Now I'm mad IRL, thanks a lot.

That's blatantly incorrect and everyone knows it.

You're wrong. Totally wrong! TF2's characters are all very distinct from eachother in terms of design. Also TF2's world can also be very bright and colourful and it has a distinct steampunk look to it unlike Overwatch's generic futuristic sci-fi look. Just because the playable cast is all male doesn't make it generic. I'd argue Overwatch is more generic because it tends to give most of it's female characters the same general body type.

I'm afraid that you being angry is your problem, not mine.

Here's the thing about this.

This stuff is subjective.

YOU cannot see why people like the game. But millions of others absolutely can.

YOU cannot see why people dont play TF2 over OW. But millions of others absolutely can.

YOU think OW's characters are generic, but a bazillion die-hard fans of freaking Tracer would not only disagree, but probably shriek at you while doing so. And it sure aint just that character that has fans.

Your own views represent YOU. And you arent the fulcrum of the industry. You arent even trying to look at it through the eyes of others, not even trying to think of WHY they form different views than you. Think hard about that one, because it's important.

The reason I list the things that I do, is that I have no actual bias myself. Frankly, both games could vanish off the face of the earth, and I'm not going to care. I've played both, but only because certain friends of mine wouldnt shut the hell up until I spent a bit of time with it, since they "wanted friends to play it with them". I dont actually LIKE either game.

However, my dislike of both games doesnt prevent me from being able to take into account the design aspects, the various advantages and disadvantages of each, design flaws and major selling points, things like publishing processes and competition, and DEFINTIELY sales tactics. Let's just say I learned THAT one from a master. I fully recognize that both games are quality products, even though I personally dislike them.

I also do not look at these from an emotional standpoint, and this is the part that's the most important here. This stuff I list is all based on pure logic, observation, experience, and so on. No anger, no pouting, no jealousy, no free-floating hate for the "other guys", none of the sorts of tribalistic emotions that are typically associated with one "team" hating and not understanding the other (because that's what this actually is about). That same sort of crap that pushes fandoms to argue with each other, is something I've always been immune to. Frankly I find the very idea of things like game fans competing with each other to be alarmingly baffling. And really, consider where your anger here is coming from. There's no reason for you to be angry that OW is bigger, or that someone might say negative things about TF2 (particularly when that same someone has stated that they hate *both* of them). Why should you even be bothered by ANY of that? Does it damage your experience with the game? Prevent you from playing it? Methinks not. It's still a huge game, is it not? That it isnt AS huge as the other shouldnt matter. Fun and enjoyment are what matter here. It's a video game!

That sort of attidude you keep displaying is going to go a long way towards the negative, and cause you lots of trouble, if you arent careful. This is coming from someone with ALOT of experience with that, by the way. I dont call myself "Misery" for nothing. That's a name with alot of history at this point.

Hmmm, and thinking further on this.... that's where this ends.

I'm not going to allow this to devolve further into some sort of damn silly arguement. I really dislike conflict.

I've said all I need to at this point... what you do with all of it is, in fact, up to you and you alone. Take it and think on it, or ignore it entirely. Up to you.

But one way or another, if you decide to push this into actual arguement territory... which is where it sounds like that anger is about to take you... it wont be with me. In the interests of preventing a silly war of words, I shall now step out entirely. So much easier that way.

And with that, I bid you good day, sir. And the rest of you as well.

I really dislike conflict.
Is that why you chose to argue with me instead of just ignoring it and moving on?

That's some serious hypocrisy coming from someone who claims you can ignore things that bother you. Not that ignoring things that bother you isn't a valid option as well. It just goes to show what a what a insensitive, hypocritical jerk you are.

Frankly, both games could vanish off the face of the earth, and I'm not going to care. I've played both, but only because certain friends of mine wouldnt shut the hell up until I spent a bit of time with it, since they "wanted friends to play it with them". I dont actually LIKE either game.
I'm supposed to know this how?

How am I supposed to know you're indifferent to it?

Me assuming that you were a Overwatch fan is totally reasonable due to the post came across like it came from the perspective of a fan trying to defend it. Nothing about your first post indicated that you didn't like Overwatch.

I'm not a mind reader so it's weird that you off on me for assuming you did like it even though I had a good reason to assume so.

Is that why you chose to argue with me instead of just ignoring it and moving on?

That's some serious hypocrisy coming from someone who claims you can ignore things that bother you. Not that ignoring things that bother you isn't a valid option as well. It just goes to show what a what a insensitive, hypocritical jerk you are.

Not gonna work.

I have but one response:

i-said-good-day-sir.jpg

In any thread about video-games, Misery is epic. :D

Neh, I just have waaaaayyyyyyyy too much free time to think about stuff like this. Frankly I'm constantly surprised anyone even reads the stuff I write. It's very..... long.

I appreciate the sentiment though. Is that actually the right phrase? The word "sentiment" seems odd there.

Someone disagreeing with you is not 'arguing' or 'conflict'. It is possible to disagree with people without making conflict. Misery was actually perfectly reasonable, made their point with getting emotive, and then exited when it seemed that a discussion looked like it was heading in the direction of an argument they wouldn't enjoy. That is being self-aware and mature, not an 'insensitive, hypocritical jerk.

When you make a topic on a diverse public forum it is generally assumed that people will respond with both agreement and disagreement, if you can't handle disagreement without getting angry then you should really take that into account beforehand, and take your comment to an echo chamber where everyone will agree with you.

Anyway, personally I think both Overwatch and TF2 are pretty rubbish games, but if given the choice between the two I would choose Overwatch because it isn't painfully dated like TF2 is. As to what the appeal of either game is, I wouldn't know, but people have different interests and preferences and that is great, if everyone liked the same things life would be very dull.

Bruh...Bruh...

I mean, I know I'm desperately trying to prove to people Xiaolin Showdown beats Avatar: The Last Airbender and Disney's Mulan, but...

Bruh.

Neh, I just have waaaaayyyyyyyy too much free time to think about stuff like this. Frankly I'm constantly surprised anyone even reads the stuff I write. It's very..... long.

I appreciate the sentiment though. Is that actually the right phrase? The word "sentiment" seems odd there.

Written in a certain way, it doesn't matter what is talked about and it'll be interesting!

And I googled it to make sure and it said something like "view or attitude toward" blahblah, so yeah, I think it works!

New Threads

Top Bottom