• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's on the menu?

Shiblom

Being a self-diagnosed Aspie, embracing my differences from others has it's amusing side. I tell people routine is my lifeline. Upsetting my routine disrupts my whole day. Things I noticed about me is my habitual menus, I can eat the same thing for days, months & years. I went through the 'hot pockets' phase, then the chicken cordon bleu phase, all beef hot dogs (years before my health problems) & many others - soups, lean cuisine,,,etc.

I was diagnosed with Type II back in '15. Charted everything, shots, meds, meals, readings. My PCP just couldn't get over the 6 month detail, he hadn't ever had anyone keep such complete charts. I've finally broken away from that somewhat since the management routine is second nature after 4 years, I can cope while others just shake their heads. My A1C is below 4, my avg glucose count runs about 85. I'm still on the same med doses as I was back in '15, but with exercise (walking) I have to watch the dumps. A piece of candy is my constant companion.

I hate going to a new restaurant, never want to 'try' something different, I tell others what works for me, stays. My mantra is eat to live, not live to eat. I keep telling my wife, you think it's fun? Try living in my brain. She was a teacher, whom dealt over the years with autistic children so she recognized my quirks & actions early on. She never confronted me about it but she did learn to live with me. 50 years this Mar. She is the most tolerant wife anyone could ask for.

I eat the same foods day in and day out, too, basically. Well, breakfast and lunch. Banana sandwich has been my lunch for quite a while now. My dinners change daily but won't try anything new either. Some of my kids were the same way - and I couldn't really complain about it. Kind of funny. I'd try to talk them into just tasting something - spit it out if you don't like it. There they'd be, mouth closed tight shaking their heads no. Then later they'd come in wanting me to try something - "Come on mom, try it." There I'd be, mouth closed tight shaking my head. lol We still do that to each other occasionally - not deliberately.

I go through back to back phases of food.

Right now it is pasta, pineapple, sauce, and eggs.

Broccoli and sweet potatoes have become long standing foods.

Currently all I want to eat is toast. I'm gluten intolerant so it is Glutino brand English Muffins that I favour. I have a major carbohydrate addiction and would live on bready things with a bit of dairy and fruit if I could but I make a big effort to keep middle-aged middle away.

Being a self-diagnosed Aspie, embracing my differences from others has it's amusing side. I tell people routine is my lifeline. Upsetting my routine disrupts my whole day. Things I noticed about me is my habitual menus, I can eat the same thing for days, months & years. I went through the 'hot pockets' phase, then the chicken cordon bleu phase, all beef hot dogs (years before my health problems) & many others - soups, lean cuisine,,,etc.

I was diagnosed with Type II back in '15. Charted everything, shots, meds, meals, readings. My PCP just couldn't get over the 6 month detail, he hadn't ever had anyone keep such complete charts. I've finally broken away from that somewhat since the management routine is second nature after 4 years, I can cope while others just shake their heads. My A1C is below 4, my avg glucose count runs about 85. I'm still on the same med doses as I was back in '15, but with exercise (walking) I have to watch the dumps. A piece of candy is my constant companion.

I hate going to a new restaurant, never want to 'try' something different, I tell others what works for me, stays. My mantra is eat to live, not live to eat. I keep telling my wife, you think it's fun? Try living in my brain. She was a teacher, whom dealt over the years with autistic children so she recognized my quirks & actions early on. She never confronted me about it but she did learn to live with me. 50 years this Mar. She is the most tolerant wife anyone could ask for.
I was a very picky eater when I was a kid. I've "grown" out of it for most part. Tacos I only ate the meat until I tried one at Taco Bell. I proceeded to the counter 3 more times for another Taco. This was back when they were 59 cents if anyone here remembers that jingle. 59 79 99! I ate bologna sandwiches EVERY day for lunch at school for about 5 years. In middle school I ate donuts or fries EVERY day. Yeah real healthy. I agree with the restaurant thing, it's scary to try something new cuz if you don't like it, you're stuck with it. Another one, when I was kid I ate nachos without the cheese. I loved cheese but it couldn't be melted. Don't say melty, that's crap, melty is not a word. Sorry I just said it . Twice. Update. Nachos with cheese are the SHIZZLE! We should all try new foods. You just never know what you've been missing your life. Go eat lefsa. You'll love it. It scared me as kid. Lol. I'm half Norwegian. And it's okay for different foods on your plate to touch each other! Took me years to figure that one out.

I rarely feel hunger. So simple plain foods are fine.
I do go through food phases where I crave only certain foods for extended periods of time.
Then it fades away and something different becomes a staple.
I don't care much for anything sweet.
Most people can't imagine someone who doesn't care for chocolate.

Yes, I go through food phases, I don't cook every day, but cook in batches and eat the same thing for 3 or four days in a row until it finishes. Also, if I find something I like on special offer or in limited supply, I bulk buy or stockpile, and eat it every day until the supply runs out. The other day I found some cheese I like reduced, now I have about five packs of it and I'll just keep eating it until it's gone.

Yep, food phases for me too.

Right now it's yoghurty, fetta cheesey scrambled eggs with tiny tomatoes, red capsicum (I think you Americans call them red peppers) and a green vegie of whatever variety I have.

I also have a thing for chorizo at the moment and soda water with a wedge of lime in it.

Although, tonight I am going to have some bok choy and chicken sesame stir fry.

I'm also a food-mixer. It's more about economics rather than taste, I hate to throw out something that is still fresh but nasty tasting. I try to experiment with combinations. Latest has been plain Greek yogurt. By itself the taste is bitter and bland. But for the health benefits over the non-fat carb laden other brands I refused to throw it out. I found that mixed with unsweetened apple sauce or cinnamon the taste is tolerable. Good complex carbs no added hidden sugars & keeps my bowels working properly. One thing in the past that I must say was a bust, using pepperoni as a meat additive to spaghetti, really messed up there.

Also as a type II I tried sweet potatoes rather than the normal starchy kind. Great taste almost like a dessert, but can spike my glucose to pre-diabetic levels (over 100). My latest staple during the last 6 months has been a modified 'Sheppard's pie' beans rather than potatoes, Mrs Dash, diced chicken breast. Heated in the microwave. No cheese, maybe a little real butter, & somewhat healthy (if the internet can be believed!).

We should all try new foods. You just never know what you've been missing your life. Go eat lefsa. You'll love it. It scared me as kid. Lol. I'm half Norwegian. And it's okay for different foods on your plate to touch each other! Took me years to figure that one out.

I love Norwegian food - open face sandwiches, all kinds of fish dishes, smoked salmon and haddock, lamb, and pickled shrimp. There's a cooking show on PBS called New Scandinavian Cooking with Norwegian and Swedish chefs. Yum.

I love Norwegian food - open face sandwiches, all kinds of fish dishes, smoked salmon and haddock, lamb, and pickled shrimp. There's a cooking show on PBS called New Scandinavian Cooking with Norwegian and Swedish chefs. Yum.
Funny you mentioned this, my father was from Bergen Norway, came to US at age 17. I know for a fact he hated most fish plates, unless it was toasted tuna, he was a meat n potatoes guy, ate eggs every day, drank coffee until bedtime & consumed anything as long as it was covered in chocolate, smoked 2-3 packs a day & lived to age 94, passed from a fall. He outlived every doctor who told him he needs to change his ways. My mother possibly died from meanness at age 89.

Funny you mentioned this, my father was from Bergen Norway, came to US at age 17. I know for a fact he hated most fish plates, unless it was toasted tuna, he was a meat n potatoes guy, ate eggs every day, drank coffee until bedtime & consumed anything as long as it was covered in chocolate, smoked 2-3 packs a day & lived to age 94, passed from a fall. He outlived every doctor who told him he needs to change his ways. My mother possibly died from meanness at age 89.

Your father must have had good genes! Norwegians drink a huge amount of coffee, I guess to offset the cold weather. We are planning a trip to Norway, Sweden and Denmark for next summer and I'm already excited. I've never been that far north in Europe.

Your father must have had good genes! Norwegians drink a huge amount of coffee, I guess to offset the cold weather. We are planning a trip to Norway, Sweden and Denmark for next summer and I'm already excited. I've never been that far north in Europe.
Went there in '66 while in service, at a Copenhagen sidewalk cafe, me & 2 others couldn't read the menu, the pictures helped. We ordered what looked like a sampling of different Danish treats, turned out it was mostly raw fish. I drank my coffee & dined on the great bread side dish. Never really touching anything on the tray. Can't remember much but did go to Bergen & met my distant cousins, they spoke English, we had nothing in common so it was a short visit. Good genes, yes he had 8 siblings him & 6 others passed away from accidents, all were in the 80's or 90's. A doctor told me I can't use him as an example, he didn't fit the norm.

Last edited:
I am a big guy and a big eater. I will eat almost anything and like to try new foods. However, in my old age I have type II diabetes and GERD. So now I have to watch what and when I eat. Getting old is not for sissies.

As a type II I found that I personally had glucose problems with breads, pastas, certain fruits among others. I cut out all breads & pastas. I do have old fashioned oatmeal every morn with Stevia, cinnamon & whole milk half n half. None of the fat free for me it has fructose & other added sugars to improve the taste.

The quick oatmeal has all the nutritional value removed so they cook quicker. The tomato sauces are also loaded with empty carbs bad for diabetics. Eggs are my staple for lunch with a side bowl of Chobani plain whole milk greek yogurt either with cinnamon/Stevia or unsweetened applesauce, Walmart's brand is best (lowest carbs nothing added). Whole milk dairy products (4% cottage cheese) are best. I cut out most cheeses, get obsessed with that, not unlike potato chips I can't just eat one.

My fruit choices are again unsweetened apple sauce & most berries, peaches, cherries were ok in moderation. Melons, bananas (high carbs) are avoided. Peas, carrots are bad for me. Sweet potatoes, avocados are good again in moderation. White rice is too be avoided & just found out brown rice is not healthy. This is my choices & may to tolerated by others but it doesn't work for me. Eat all the cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower you want, onions on the other hand can spike your BS. Good luck to all.

Last edited:
I'm very habitual about my food. I'm trying to get away from that because it turns out I like a lot of things that I didn't know I would like because I refused to try them.

For instance I hadn't ever eaten a burger until college well guess what? I live burgers! I wish I had tried them when I was younger!

For me a lot of issue is texture but I'm also kind of picky with taste. On my burger cheese and pickles and a bun. Nothing, absolutely nothing else.

I eat the same things all the time. Bread, cheese, sausage, and eggs. It's really hard to keep fit on this diet, but it's what I like.

I am one I can't stand certain textures but I love Chinese, Mexican, and Italian food. Of course if I found a lady who was nice and wanted to date me, who could cook these foods and loved cooking them I would be in hog heaven lol.

For breakfast I'll have either cereal, eggos, or oatmeal. For lunch it's something out of a box or a hot dog/burger. For supper I'll have whatever Mom is having.

New Threads

Top Bottom