• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What's her problem

OrdinaryCitizen

Looked at this video at TED and this female seems very angry and/or aggressive, i know she did time behind the bars is that the reason?

I think you are misreading her body language, facial expressions,
and elocution. She said, at the outset of her talk, what her
"problem" is. She is ASD.

She is not behaving aggressively.
She is not expressing anger.
She is speaking as clearly as possible in the hope that what she says will
be understood.

This “female”?

It’s a great speech. I love this line: “I have come to realize that although I am not normal, no one else is, either.”

She’s not angry or aggressive. She’s trying to speak firmly and with conviction so that she’ll be taken seriously.

I thought she did good. The parts I watched she seemed good. Our differences make us special was quite the line and very true.

This “female”?
Why " "female" "?

I don't feel she aggressive either. It does look like she's making an effort to communicate clear and loudly, which for most people is hard to do in public in a natural and relaxed matter, let alone someone on the spectrum.

Looked at this video at TED and this female seems very angry and/or aggressive, i know she did time behind the bars is that the reason?

if ?your first language isn’t English ,try getting someone to translate YouTube videos for you !may I ask why should a woman not be aggressive?

@OrdinaryCitizen

You ask 'what's her problem?' I don't believe the woman on the video has a 'problem'.

She's not aggressive or angry. Your interpretation seems to be awry.

Perhaps it would help you to listen/watch it again, but before you do that, park your negative bias and view it in a neutral mindset, if possible.

OH MY GOSH. I'm laughing so hard, not at her, but because HER BODY LANGUAGE IS MY BODY LANGUAGE!!!

It's like looking in a mirror. The exaggerated eyebrow and mouth movements, showy hand movements - she's overdoing it, trying to be sure that she is understood. She's crossed that line where "making your point" becomes "bad acting".

She's speaking slowly and forcefully because she knows she's giving a speech and is putting in a lot of extra effort to make sure that she's understood by the audience.

I don't have a clue who this woman is, but I love her. :tearsofjoy::hearteyes::tearsofjoy:

Agree with @tree. Misreading her mainly elocution as aggressiveness. She doesn't seem aggressive to me.

@Trophonius @Kalinychta - Why not "female"? It's accurate, albeit perhaps a bit clinical.. I think @OrdinaryCitizen is just being analytical (which incidentally the presenter was too at 2:14, "males are 4 times more likely than females").

I don't find her aggressive either. I have aspie female friends who present way more aggressive than her.

She's the bumble bee whispered lol.

This is a good video. I might share it.

Agree with @tree. Misreading her mainly elocution as aggressiveness. She doesn't seem aggressive to me.

@Trophonius @Kalinychta - Why not "female"? It's accurate, albeit perhaps a bit clinical.. I think @OrdinaryCitizen is just being analytical (which incidentally the presenter was too at 2:14, "males are 4 times more likely than females").

The accurate word is woman, not female.

6 Reasons You Should Stop Referring to Women as "Females" Right Now

• 1. Because the words "female" and "woman" mean different things.
  • 2. Because reducing a woman to her reproductive abilities is dehumanizing and exclusionary.
  • 3. Because nobody casually refers to men as "males."
  • 4. Because it is most often used to imply inferiority or contempt.
  • 5. Because it's grammatically weird.
  • 6. And most importantly, because the word you're looking for already exists.
Gender and the Law Blog: Why You Should Stop Calling Women

• 2. Because reducing a woman to her reproductive abilities is dehumanizing and exclusionary.

I'm not disagreeing with your major point. However;

I identify as nonbinary. I refer to myself as "female" frequently, because I don't (usually) identify as a woman and I'm biologically female. So "female" is accurate, whereas, at times, "woman" is not. I am not a woman, I am a nonbinary person who happens to be female.

I cringe every time I see this debate come up and hope that my (and presumably, others') identities aren't going to get wrapped up in this.

cringe every time I see this debate come up and hope that my (and presumably, others') identities aren't going to get wrapped up in this.

Most peoples identities arent affected at all by someone posting something.

You consider yourself non binary which is great for you.
The great part of life is having the freedom to be able to live the way you want - within limits.
The physical reality never changes, how you think about yourself will always change.

As you learn,grow older and live your life.

The best thing I can hope for is you dont let your identity lead you into activities that will cause your body actual harm.

If your identity is always changing,hopefully with patience you will find the right course.

You may already be on that course.

If so,best of luck to you.

Bingo. I've only ever seen/heard "female" used in a contemptuous manner. Except by scientists and the like. If I posted a video of a man whom I didn't like and asked what this male's problem is, more than one person would likely take offense. I believe OrdinaryCitizen's second language is English, though, so he may not have meant anything by "female."

Where I went to school, the preferred term was "female."
It eliminated any status difference in whether the person was
to be considered a "girl" or a "woman," which mattered to
young students.

Bingo. I've only ever seen/heard "female" used in a contemptuous manner. Except by scientists and the like. If I posted a video of a man whom I didn't like and asked what this male's problem is, more than one person would likely take offense. I believe OrdinaryCitizen's second language is English, though, so he may not have meant anything by "female."

Interesting.. I guess I've never seen/heard "female" used in a contemptuous manner. I use it regularly in some conversations (non-contemptuously) particularly if I want to avoid the "girl" vs. "woman" thing as tree mentioned. I am rather scientifically minded though, so I often speak in a more clinical tone too.

I agree with the last sentence of @Juliettaa's second link though: "I would argue that by allowing virtually every word that can be applied to women, except women, as negative we are helping men box us in with their “male gaze” of the English language, as Green puts it. "

The thing that bugs me about PC debates in general is this:
If a person uses a word in a derogatory way, that does not change the literal meaning of the word. Changing the word to be "non-PC" does not in any way correct the underlying problem. The underlying problem is the mindset of the person who used the word in a derogatory way. Quibbling over language doesn't solve attitude problems. I would rather find a way to correct attitudes thereby solving the real problem.

The thing that bugs me about PC debates in general is this:
If a person uses a word in a derogatory way, that does not change the literal meaning of the word. Changing the word to be "non-PC" does not in any way correct the underlying problem. The underlying problem is the mindset of the person who used the word in a derogatory way. Quibbling over language doesn't solve attitude problems. I would rather find a way to correct attitudes thereby solving the real problem.

THIS. So much this. Policing language doesn't solve the problem, it shifts the problem and allows the original problem to continue unabated.

yay! Thanks Bumble Bee Whisperer!
Throughout my existance, I hear people say something is "the bees knees". After hearing you speak - It clicked!
I went from not getting it - to understanding on a whole 'nother level. Bees can only sting once, because if they use their stinger, they lose it and die.

New Threads

Top Bottom