• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What’s everyone think of RTX 3070?

You mean other than I want one? :)

I bought a VR headset and kind of went nuts. Like researching myself sick and learning how to overclock. OMG, people who don't game, they try to get the best benchmark score (liquid nitrogen cooler?)

I was okay with Oculus Quest Link with my 2070 Super. Then I added Liv (mixed reality) and OBS and things lagged pretty bad. I guess compelling statistics for the 3070. I can upload my overclocking benchmark score to this website and compare what I have, to see if I am CPU, memory or GPU bound. I think upgrading from i5 to an i7 or i9, then getting the card.

Watching videos of people talking about their 1080 Ti and how much they love it. What is that like $1,600? Watching benchmark videos. I thought I was a gamer, what is this obsession with graphics power?

BTW, I have RT and Tensor cores in my 2070 Super. So I downloaded Minecraft Beta with Ray Tracing (RT). What am I going to do with those Tensor cores? Obviously Reinforcement Learning. I already learned Markov Decision Processes and Objective functions. I tried Anaconda. Now I am working on native Python libraries. Joining Kaggle didn't seem to help.

Last edited:

I bought a VR headset and kind of went nuts. Like researching myself sick and learning how to overclock. OMG, people who don't game, they try to get the best benchmark score (liquid nitrogen cooler?)

I was okay with Oculus Quest Link with my 2070 Super. Then I added Liv (mixed reality) and OBS and things lagged pretty bad. I guess compelling statistics for the 3070. I can upload my overclocking benchmark score to this website and compare what I have, to see if I am CPU, memory or GPU bound. I think upgrading from i5 to an i7 or i9, then getting the card.

Watching videos of people talking about their 1080 Ti and how much they love it. What is that like $1,600? Watching benchmark videos. I thought I was a gamer, what is this obsession with graphics power?

BTW, I have RT and Tensor cores in my 2070 Super. So I downloaded Minecraft Beta with Ray Tracing (RT). What am I going to do with those Tensor cores? Obviously Reinforcement Learning. I already learned Markov Decision Processes and Objective functions. I tried Anaconda. Now I am working on native Python libraries. Joining Kaggle didn't seem to help.
I also find water-cooled systems overrated. While they may perform better, the extra maintenance work and extra cost just isn't for me. The only maintenance I want to do on the computer itself is thoroughly spray it down with an air can. Plus air cooling systems are much simpler to install and maintain properly.

I sent a picture of my see-through PC to some guys at work. One guy asked why I liked the XX CPU cooler. I didn't remember the brand or model, or how much it cost. I said the water coolers are pricey and require customizations. He said they were easy (yeah, for him). I am okay. I am always under 60C. I bought extra thermal grease and smeared it all over. I have no idea if it helped.

This sort of thing always both fascinates and confuses the hell outta me.

On one hand, after having gotten into VR myself, I can see some of why people want these sorts of things... when PC graphics get good, they get REALLY good. VR in particular is the cream of the crop (as far as I'm concerned anyway), but it aint just that.

On the other hand, sometimes I wonder what the point of going so far is. I'm already running a mega-beast of a machine. The one and only thing that is capable of creating even a slight dip in framerate is the new Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020, and that's only because EVERYTHING is running on Ultra settings in that. Maxed out everything, because I bloody well could. And even with that... it's still darned smooth. Actually took me awhile to notice that the framerate wasnt as high as everything else.

But literally all other things I've run on here, including full VR? An Oculus, specifically (not the Quest). Runs perfect. PERFECT. Always at fully maxed-out settings, no matter what it might be.

Yet I know there are aspects of the thing I COULD upgrade, but.... in my mind, I just dont see the point. The thing is already insanely powerful. Why does it need MORE power, when that power would have next to no practical effect? Yet I know quite a few in this situation would absolutely do it.

Granted, there will be an exception if the VR aspect of the simulator... once that's out... doesnt run as it should. That'll lead to an immediate upgrade if that happens (VR *needs* to run at absolute perfection, or you can get major problems). But outside of that possibility, I've no need to do it, so I dont.

So... where's the appeal? Why do it, when in so many cases the actual effect of it is incremental and hard to even notice? Dont get me wrong, I know for plenty of people when they do upgrade it's not an incremental thing, but a major jump. But for those that do expensive updates that wont have much real effect.... why?

I don't think there are many cases where an RTX 2080ti wouldn't be enough in most games, apart from VR games.

I have trouble. Things seem to go wrong a lot. It might be buggy games but Asgard's Wrath and Blades and Sorcery can drop the frame rate suddenly. The controllers are not recognized sometimes. Sometimes link won't start and I have to reboot everything. I am not 100% happy with it. I almost never stop because I am done, it is to quit and re-start. CPUID monitor says all 6 cores were maxed at some point (lots of physics in Blades and Sorcery). Maybe a Rift S would be better. When I started recording with OBS, the fps dropped. Liv made it unusable. When I overclock I expected no effect yet I felt something, like it was smoother, so I left it on. I don't think this is diagnosable, considering all the links in the chain. I future proof my stuff, I overbuild for what I need. Software bloats and always has. If Ray Tracing becomes a thing (it is eye candy) Nvidia will have a clear edge with hardware acceleration. I already see the writing on the wall, I have to upgrade. Also, I have some money. Many people on this forum likely don't. They can't build a PC for VR, or they have to spend too little and live with it. So I don't want be insensitive and tell people to buy a $650 graphics card.

I had pondered the pro's and con's of all 3 current Ampere cards for my next build. It was hard to justify the expense of a 3090 when my builds are around £2000 for the PC alone and a 3090 would eat up 75% of the build budget. The 3080 seemed like it'd be the sweet spot for me.

At the end of the day, all I think an expensive PC build buys you is time. You get more time being able to play your games on ultra - but eventually a game will come along that cripples your system, and then slowly but surely there's more and more games you have to compromise on settings. That is when I start to look at potentially doing a new build.

For all the time with this PC build (over 4 years) I dabbled with 21:9 and 32:9 monitors and then went onto 4k. None of these really played to my GPU's strengths. It was only last month that I found the sweet spot - a 16:9, 1440p monitor with G-SYNC.

My current build and 1080GTX has every game running on ultra @1440p except for two games (Fallout 4 and No Man's Sky). So, whilst I have considered new builds for a few years now, there isn't really any dire need to do so. Realistically I could keep this PC for another year or 2 - provided nothing goes wrong with any components.

Right now I want to see how my 6700K quad core will cope with the new games being optimised for consoles with double the amount of cores that my CPU has. If I do hold out another year or 2, there'll probably be a newer generation of CPU's and for the same cost as my initial 6700K purchase, I could probably buy an octa core with well over double the performance.

I believe the next build will focus on finally cracking 4k with enough headroom to futureproof the system for 4+ years like my current build has.

Ed

Last edited:
lets hope that nvidia has sufficient stock. then again i only have $35usd in change. But i have a decent gpu a 1070, and a r52600 so i probably wont upgrade

Friend sent me an Amazon link this morning for a 3070 being resold by someone for over £1000. It's predictable behaviour that people price gouge, but it's pretty disgusting behaviour.

Ed

I game at 1080p and am not interested in ultra settings on games, so my GTX 1070 Ti will be enough for the next few years.

Reading articles by people who bought the 2080 Ti surprised me. I expected some regret, or at least an acknowledgement it wasn't rational. Instead they loved it. They talked of their frame rates never dropping, the things they could do, and kind of, the pleasure they felt about it. They weren't even geeking out about the card itself! Gaming, movies, shows, sports, etc are entertainment and are supposed to be fun. Geeking out over graphics cards should be fun. Bragging with swagger about your knowledge and stuff feels good, but pretty soon your audience will disappear.

Scalping graphics cards is dishonest. But talking someone out of doing something foolish clues me into their motives. If you buy a card for double price from a scalper, I not seeing them as a victim so much. I personally would wait. Once I had a date, and the concert was sold out, and I bought scalped tickets. I was pissed, but the other option was pissing off my date, so I was ambivalent. I felt it was my mistake. I always buy tickets in advance, never at the door now. This however, is a huge problem for graphic card companies, as it attaches negativity to their brand. Worse, if they put up 1000 for sale, and I buy them all and hold them hostage, OMG, I am destroying their product. Even if they were super evil mega corp, it wouldn't matter they got their money.

do you mean 2080ti? the 1080ti is old so i don't think its more then $400. I don't have the space for VR.

I sent a picture of my see-through PC to some guys at work. One guy asked why I liked the XX CPU cooler. I didn't remember the brand or model, or how much it cost. I said the water coolers are pricey and require customizations. He said they were easy (yeah, for him). I am okay. I am always under 60C. I bought extra thermal grease and smeared it all over. I have no idea if it helped.
I'm using a All In One water cooler. Its a NXZT x63 kraken. I've got a I9-10900k, so I wanted to make sure it keeps cool.

Slyfox - I live in an RV. There is a stationary mode in VR. But screw that. I made these VR gloves out of old motorcycle gloves so I can bash my hands into things and it won't hurt:

Attachments

• IMG-2510.JPG
    IMG-2510.JPG
    712.8 KB · Views: 116
I wanted 3080 but they out everywhere and will be for months. I did manage to get a 3070.
Dont rip my head off please, but i dislike the price tag. IMHO RTX "ray tracing" is far to expensive and unoptimized for my taste. I think the performance to price ratio is not good either. Weary about new cards on the market.

The performance leap on this gen is huge. But prices will continue to rise. Things aren't ever going to get cheaper. But with the Ti's coming out, you might be able to get a bargain 3080 from someone selling one to upgrade.

Ed

I feel like a 3080 (even the regular version) would be overkill for most games, considering most game's recommended GPU is still 1080 or 1080 Ti (or whatever the AMD equivalent is).

Dont rip my head off please, but i dislike the price tag. IMHO RTX "ray tracing" is far to expensive and unoptimized for my taste. I think the performance to price ratio is not good either. Weary about new cards on the market.
mean its same price as a 2080 but better performance then a 2080ti. if itd followed past trends it should have gone up and been priced at 800-1200. I have a 3070 though and will just use it til it doesn't work good enough for me then try to get whatever ones out at time.

I feel like a 3080 (even the regular version) would be overkill for most games, considering most game's recommended GPU is still 1080 or 1080 Ti (or whatever the AMD equivalent is).
for playing 1080p mabye.; the 3070 will be a 1080p card in few years :( it does 1440p pretty well for now, 4k forget about it. even 3090 struggles with cyberpunk. future games will push cards more and more sadly. just like 4core cpu use to be enough then it was 6 core now games will be using 8 cores soon. I can play most games at ultra settings on my 1440p monitor, but seems in few years ill be playing on low so ill need to upgrade. hopefuly my 10900k cpu will be good for longer.

New Threads

Top Bottom