• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What would you say is the true meaning of the word Hero?

Wolfnox

V.I.P Member
The other day i heard someone get very upset. He was angry because people were calling a basketball player a hero. " All he does is shoot a few balls into a hoop. Thats all it takes and people heap praise on him. He gets paid millions of dollars for that spectacle." He went on to say that is someone found a cure for cancer. Or saved the life dozens of people that they wouldn't get half the attention.
It bothered me somewhat. I dont really see it like that. People are good and when possible they true and help each other. But is he wrong to be angry?

If one looks at the dictionary definition of such a term, it has quite broad implications, whether one thinks they are appropriate or not. One can say what they think the word means, but they cannot arbitrarily change such official definitions either.

noun: hero; plural noun: heroes; noun: hero sandwich; plural noun: hero sandwiches
a person who is admired or idealized for courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.
"a war hero"

Yes, I guess we all have our own heroes. My definition of hero also does not include someone who can throw a ball for millions of dollars. I don't get angry over it, but I don't get it. He's a self hero - doing and reaping for himself. In my book the true heroes are the dads who stay with his wife and children and cares for them. The neighbor who ran into a burning house to save his neighbor. The person who performs acts of kindness without having to film it for praise. It's the person who is thinking of the other person over himself.

I don’t think it’s something to get angry over, but I do think the word ‘hero’ is used too liberally and it sort of diminishes the word for me. For me, a hero is someone who has performed an outstanding, selfless feat of great benefit to others, without expecting anything in return. This can be in the form of direct action - pulling someone out of a burning car at risk for your own life - or on a more administrative level, such as fighting for change in legislature that benefits marginalized people, in an environment where it’s dangerous to express such opinions.

It annoys me that there seems to be a tendency - I feel like this is mostly a USA thing - to call many people heroes because of their occupation. Not every soldier killed in the line of duty is a hero. Not every cop or firefighter is a hero. They’re doing their jobs, with all the risks those jobs entail. Sure enough there are plenty of soldiers, cops and firefighters that perform heroic feats, but having such an occupation doesn’t make you a hero by default. Let’s say for instance that a rookie soldier is killed in the line of duty on the first day of his first deployment. Does that make him a hero, or just a soldier with tragically bad luck? It’s a very sad situation and something to be mourned, but I don’t see anything heroic about it. I understand that this will probably offend some people around here. I don’t mean to be offensive. I respect police officers, fire fighters and soldiers a great deal and I couldn’t do what they do. I just don’t think their occupation automatically makes them heroes. It should be earned rather than assigned by default, in my opinion.

There are cowards and people of low morale in all walks of life so I feel like giving accolades for what someone has accomplished, rather than what job they have.

I’m a doctor. I’ve saved lives in crisis situations. Does that make me a hero or does that just make me someone that does their job like they’re supposed to? I feel like it’s the second. I haven’t done anything beyond the call of duty. I just do what I’m paid to do.

As for calling people heroes because they’re good at sports or singing or acting, I don’t believe in that. They can be your personal hero, but calling them heroes overall is not something I can get behind.

They're just abstract words with indefinite meaning... It doesn't matter how you define the word, others will see it differently.

I don’t think it’s something to get angry over, but I do think the word ‘hero’ is used too liberally and it sort of diminishes the word for me. For me, a hero is someone who has performed an outstanding, selfless feat of great benefit to others, without expecting anything in return. This can be in the form of direct action - pulling someone out of a burning car at risk for your own life - or on a more administrative level, such as fighting for change in legislature that benefits marginalized people, in an environment where it’s dangerous to express such opinions.

It annoys me that there seems to be a tendency - I feel like this is mostly a USA thing - to call many people heroes because of their occupation. Not every soldier killed in the line of duty is a hero. Not every cop or firefighter is a hero. They’re doing their jobs, with all the risks those jobs entail. Sure enough there are plenty of soldiers, cops and firefighters that perform heroic feats, but having such an occupation doesn’t make you a hero by default. Let’s say for instance that a rookie soldier is killed in the line of duty on the first day of his first deployment. Does that make him a hero, or just a soldier with tragically bad luck? It’s a very sad situation and something to be mourned, but I don’t see anything heroic about it. I understand that this will probably offend some people around here. I don’t mean to be offensive. I respect police officers, fire fighters and soldiers a great deal and I couldn’t do what they do. I just don’t think their occupation automatically makes them heroes. It should be earned rather than assigned by default, in my opinion.

There are cowards and people of low morale in all walks of life so I feel like giving accolades for what someone has accomplished, rather than what job they have.

I’m a doctor. I’ve saved lives in crisis situations. Does that make me a hero or does that just make me someone that does their job like they’re supposed to? I feel like it’s the second. I haven’t done anything beyond the call of duty. I just do what I’m paid to do.

As for calling people heroes because they’re good at sports or singing or acting, I don’t believe in that. They can be your personal hero, but calling them heroes overall is not something I can get behind.

I have great respect for doctors. When I was really sick and scared. They helped make me feel better and hope that i would get better. So to me you would qualify. But i understand your point. Still thanks for helping people.

Last edited by a moderator:
But is he wrong to be angry?
Well it's a pretty stupid thing to be angry about, but he's entitled to devote his emotional energy to whatever he wants so it's not "wrong". The word has too vague a definition and is too based on subjective perception to have One Twue Meaning. I definitely wouldn't consider a basketball player to be a hero, but plenty of people do so whatever.

I think we have the ability to be heros everyday. It sounds corny, but when you help someone out, it sends out ripples and sometimes causes a chain reaction and people start to acknowledge we are all in this together. I truly have no idea where this is going. ☺

The term is over-used to the point of becoming meanlingless. A 'hero' is a person who has done an outstanding deed, at great risk or sacrifice, like Heracles who had to perform his 12 labors, or in real life terms, someone who has put themselves in great danger to do good. Sports people and celebrities aren't heroes, they are professionals doing their job and who happen to be in the public eye. Being in the public eye doesn't make you a hero. I have some people I admire for one reason or another, but I still wouldn't call them heroes.

New Threads

Top Bottom