• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What would make housing autism friendly?

the_tortoise

V.I.P Member
What specific things (design features or on-site amenities/services) might make housing autism friendly?

Please note: The purpose of this thread is NOT to discuss what is and is not possible with respect to autism friendly housing. It is NOT to debate whether anything suggested in this thread could or will ever happen. It is not even to discuss ways to make it happen. It is to discuss what “autism-friendly housing” would look like to the users of this forum.

An example of what would make housing autism friendly in my view:

Very high caliber sound insulation. This is so loud vocal stimmers could stim without bothering anyone; So those of us who scream and make a lot of noise during meltdowns wouldn’t have the additional fear/problem of bothering or frightening our neighbours; For those of us with severe sound sensitivity to retain a level of sanity and basic freedom from pain and distress that normal people take for granted and thus improve our daily functioning and quality of life.

Quiet cabinets and doors and appliances. Sound proof room. Wait- a bunker for those really bad days. No harsh colors. Sound machines that you flip a switch on.

Dimmer switches in every room would be a nice touch apart from sound and insulation considerations.

Quieter appliances would be nice as well. Washer/dryer and refrigerators all tend to be noisy and grate on my nerves.

I build my own desktop computers. I can barely hear this one I'm using at the moment, and it's no accident. :cool:

Last edited:
It depends on the autistic person really.
I think my housing situation is perfect for me (or as close as possible), but probably wouldn't be for someone else. Of course there are some constant hums that I could do without.

At one facility I worked they had some pretty cool looking rooms that blocked in (and out) RF (radio frequency) waves. They had foam patterned walls. It seems they also make them for human audible sounds.

This is one type of barrier

Anechoic-chamber-2.jpg

But the 'cooler' looking one was spikes. Though it might seem like living in a Iron Maiden. :D

anechoic-chamber-3.jpg

I believe whether a building is masonry or frame or other types of construction, it is indeed possible to make a building relatively soundproof- to or above condominium specifications no matter what the location limitations may be in terms of the type of construction.

That much if not all of this is possible, though at an additional cost.

super vent in the kitchen to exhaust cooking odors. a quiet super vent...

Great point. I use my cooking ventilation system to no avail. Always smelling my last meal the minute I return home. I even shut up the doors to the rest of my rooms to limit such smells. I shouldn't have to deal with that!

a vacuuming system where the motor is behind an insulated wall also the dirt bag is somewhere where it can be easily emptied and not get stinky dust everywhere.

Quality of double-paned windows counts a great deal as well. I know firsthand that some manufacturers and installers are better than others. Insulation for both sound as well as the elements.

somehow the cooling and heating doesn't require the air to be blown directly onto the occupant's neck or other exposed body parts

Agree about the sound insulation, double pane windows would help as well.
Noise can be both distracting and annoying, with the inability to ever relax.
We removed ceilings and insulated for sound first thing. Also gave us a chance
to embed hundreds of wood screws in the upper sub-floors to lessen the sound of creaking.

-Fewer square corners in homes, wider doorways, quieter windows.
-Fewer hard surfaces or open areas in homes that sound can permeate.
-Sound and light filtering curtains.
-Walls of plants that absorb sound and provide food. So less shopping.
-Lighting that's not too bright or glaring or noisy and becomes slightly orange in the evening.
-Outside venting with a fresh air exchange that's warmed in the winter.

-Thick high hedges surrounding the home, for noise reduction and animal habitat.
-Wildflowers and local plants for insects and other creatures, their sounds calm me.
-Water wall or stream or lake or bubbling fountain nearby.
-Exterior windbreaks to lessen snow and blowing wind sound, these could be trees or fences or rock walls.
-Speedbumps or roundabouts in residential areas.
-Quieter electric snowblowers, lawnmowers, and heavy equipment.

I believe whether a building is masonry or frame or other types of construction, it is indeed possible to make a building relatively soundproof- to or above condominium specifications no matter what the location limitations may be in terms of the type of construction.

That much if not all of this is possible, though at an additional cost.
well, that's part of the problem - they build as cheap as possible. That's why floors tend to act as amplifiers to those living beneath.

well, that's part of the problem - they build as cheap as possible. That's why floors tend to act as amplifiers to those living beneath.

True, but then I think one can take for granted that such construction concerns while not all that extravagant wouldn't be approached by those involved with tract-housing or apartment buildings. Where all kinds of construction "short cuts" abound to keep costs in line.

Though one also has to concede that in some circumstances structural "give" is required to meet earthquake standards depending on the location. Where 100% structural rigidity can be potentially disastrous.

No secret that I won't live beneath another tenant under any circumstances. A lesson I had to learn only once.

Though all these considerations coming at a cost for less than two percent of the population are likely to be looked upon positively by even non-autistic people.

Last edited:
Landing lights on the walls for night navagation. Several blasters within easy to reach places. Self powered water filter and robot ninja butler.

-Fewer square corners in homes, wider doorways, quieter windows.

A guide in Germany once told us that in medieval times there was a belief that the devil lived in perfect 90 degree angles, so that things were not made quite square. I don't know if it was true or just pulling our leg, but often certainly looked that way.

11_1STO_F728ed.jpg

Controllable everything.
Lighting.
Temperature.
Ventilation.
Humidity.
Curtains.

Soundproofing a must. Visual intercom and automatic locks on all doors and windows so I can trigger them all instantly to feel safe & secure.

Would be quite partial to having a floatation tank in there too.

Personally I'd love to have motorized retractable blinds in a home. :)

Light or pitch blackness, all with a push of a button.

Hanging a 49ers blanket over my bedroom curtain rod just doesn't quite cut it. :oops:

Last edited:
True, but then I think one can take for granted that such construction concerns while not all that extravagant wouldn't be approached by those involved with tract-housing or apartment buildings. Where all kinds of construction "short cuts" abound to keep costs in line.

Though one also has to concede that in some circumstances structural "give" is required to meet earthquake standards depending on the location. Where 100% structural rigidity can be potentially disastrous.

No secret that I won't live beneath another tenant under any circumstances. A lesson I had to learn only once.

Though all these considerations coming at a cost for less than two percent of the population are likely to be looked upon positively by even non-autistic people.
Yeah, I know a lot of shortcuts they take when building apartments and such (not highrise. :) ) The cheaper materials does not change the price of the sell, just increases the profit. I don't like the noise, but I'd rather live below than above for the reason I'd rather put up with someone elses noises than someone have to put up with mine. :) (Just like I'd rather have to wait on someone than have someone have to wait on me).

New Threads

Top Bottom