• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What to do for a career when QA isn't for you?

dhl02

I worked at two companies that specifically hired autistic people for QA positions. Neither worked. I worked at the first company for 5 years, but got let go after they started putting more of an emphasis on getting the job done quickly. I tried to get another job at another company, and then I ended up over correcting based on that. I missed stuff because I was trying to get through all of the work instead of trying to capture defects. Therefore, I was let go from that position.
What can you do for work if you can't even keep those jobs? Am I completely useless as a human being?

No. You are not useless as a human being.

If you have attention to detail and like to be thorough, maybe investigations would work for you?

I do not know you do it is a total guess.

It took me years to get a job that I like and that I am good at.

Don't give up on yourself.

I believe in you.

I'm not depressed or anything, I'm not letting myself go there anymore.
I'm just really confused on what the hell to do going forward.

Can you do the Quality assurance job remotely? As in working from home on an independent or free-lance basis. I've noticed a few on job websites that mention remote work.

Can you do the Quality assurance job remotely? As in working from home on an independent or free-lance basis. I've noticed a few on job websites that mention remote work.
This last one I failed at was a work from home job. I've tried both an in-office and from-home QA job and each had their own issues for me. Mostly communication and understanding expectations. I guess I'm so socially inept that I don't even realize when I'm doing something unacceptable, even at a place that employs autistic people.
I'm no longer nearly as enthusiastic about the idea of doing QA. I don't want to do it anymore.
I might good at repetitive tasks, but I hate them. I might be good finding weird details, but I hate it.
I hate "everyday is exactly the same" I want variety, different things at work.

Last edited:
Have you considered going down the development rather than testing route? You get to work on different projects, since a lot of jobs are contract. You are constantly learning/revising different languages and technologies. It's still very logic based work, but possibly more creative than you are used to with QA. There are also a lot more developer jobs out there than purely QA ones (since a lot of QA is done by the dev team these days). Just an idea.

Have you considered going down the development rather than testing route? You get to work on different projects, since a lot of jobs are contract. You are constantly learning/revising different languages and technologies. It's still very logic based work, but possibly more creative than you are used to with QA. There are also a lot more developer jobs out there than purely QA ones (since a lot of QA is done by the dev team these days). Just an idea.
Yeah, I've thought about it. I don't know a lot of languages, my BS is in chemical engineering. I had the misfortune of graduating into the teeth of the recession. I've been out of college for 7+ years now. I don't think software development is for me. I'm concerned about being able to find another job because I have exactly zero positive references. If anyone called my former employers, they'd tell them not to hire me. I'm wondering if I've run out of chances. There used to be no such thing, but it seems there is these days.

Hello - I wish I had some good ideas for you- I’m trying to find my own niche in the job world, too. It seems like I don’t fit anything I try. Some of what you said sounded familiar to me—either missing details or paying too much attention to certain details.

I’ve mostly worked jobs that dealt directly with customers, like general office work, fast food service, restaurant, grocery store, and at a bank. I like people but it’s exhausting trying to act a certain way constantly.

One of my favorite jobs was when I was a temp at a technical college. I really liked the atmosphere and it made me happy to see all these people from all ages and backgrounds applying to further their education. It’s like they all shared the same hope and goal to do something to improve their lives - it just kind of seemed to give the place a positive vibe.
The work was kind of repetitive though which is something you mentioned wanting to avoid.

I currently work at a little reason as a hostess and busser. It’s an open restaurant so you’re right there with nature. It gets a bit crazy sometimes as restaurant life normally does but I’m actually happiest when I’m left alone to bus tables because I’m busy and I can zone kind of zone out while still moving around. Plus they are very flexible with the employees with scheduling which helps a lot when you have school age children.

What about IT work? I was thinking about going back to school and pursing IT because I like tinkering with computers and I’m good at it- not in a genius way or anything but I’m usually persistent enough to fiddle with an issue until I figure it out. Not sure if that’s enough to go for it. But that might be something that could get repetitive, too.

Another favorite job was many years ago I worked at a little chocolate shop. It was the best chocolate ever- a bit on the expensive side but worth it. Best smelling place ever—besides the coffee store nearby it (it was in a mall). Unfortunately I’d gained about 20 labs working there. What can I say- I had no willpower around all that chocolate. Haha!

Not sure if any of these ideas are any help but keep searching, you’ll find something that fits you - I’m rooting for you!❤️

Have you thought about seeking a career counselor? They've helped me in the past and should be able to help you find out what you want to do. I wish you good luck.

Decided to give it one more chance with SAP. If this one doesn't work, I'll have to figure something else out.

You could try doing lab work or possibly forensic work (like a latent fingerprint examiner).

You could try doing lab work or possibly forensic work (like a latent fingerprint examiner).
I'd love lab work. I just haven't done it in so long I'd have confidence issues. Also, I probably wouldn't be able to meet the physical demands of that job atm.

New Threads

Top Bottom