• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What should i get?

Skittlebisquit

Just keep trying, victory brings glory
V.I.P Member
I just spent the last several hours reading about fortnite and Roblox. These are two things that before tonight I've never heard of before. The one platform has 150 million users and the other is described as the most popular video game the world has ever known. I only just got online with a cheap phone from the Department Store about 4 months ago. I really enjoy being able to have a reliable communication that worksanywhere, even though I may not have a lot of people to speak to as yet.
I really enjoy being allowed to participate in this forum here thank you all for being so kind and positive and supportive.
I know there must be many other types of forums around and I'd like to learn about that. I like being able to send emails I like being able to text I like being able to send pictures and links to sites to people that I know. I typically go through my 32 gig of whatever's of data within about 20 days or so. The Service provider that I have doesn't allow a higher amount of data use than that for any price.

Here's my question and the part I really need help with. I need to know what kind of computer should I have. It seems like a laptop would be a better choice in some ways and I do have an auxiliary keyboard. but then in other ways it seems like a tower would be the better choice. Much of my knowledge base about IT Hardware is about 10 to 12 years out of date. Any suggestions or advice that you have would be well appreciated thank you

Have you been living in a cave? Or voluntarily dodging the total surveillance tech?

I'm not very good with techy questions, being older, I just use laptops at home, have a tablet, cos smartphone screens are too small for my aging vision, I use the tablet for portable access, my phone is a numberpad type, not a smart phone.

I personally recommend laptops. You can take them anywhere and many of them do come with a lot of built-in storage if needed.
Some are even convertible and can be used as tablets with a touchscreen.

You can get a normal pc very superior to a laptop for the same price i would say.
Laptops are just good for the mobility not anything else.

Have you been living in a cave? Or voluntarily dodging the total surveillance tech?

I'm not very good with techy questions, being older, I just use laptops at home, have a tablet, cos smartphone screens are too small for my aging vision, I use the tablet for portable access, my phone is a numberpad type, not a smart phone.
Hmm a cave? Not exactly i just stopped wanting to have the internet at home. It became all i did, and my health suffered. I have the tablet as well thank you for reminding me. I've never had a laptop, at one time they were fragile, under powered,had only limited storage and were very difficult to repair..... i think most of that is changed now and the lap top is on par with the tower. Except for being fragile that is. Is the tower type cheaper? It seems as it should be.

Hmm a cave? Not exactly i just stopped wanting to have the internet at home. It became all i did, and my health suffered. I have the tablet as well thank you for reminding me. I've never had a laptop, at one time they were fragile, under powered,had only limited storage and were very difficult to repair..... i think most of that is changed now and the lap top is on par with the tower. Except for being fragile that is. Is the tower type cheaper? It seems as it should be.

Sadly, they're STILL fragile, underpowered, and nigh-impossible to repair. If anything they've gotten worse as the manufacturers have gotten more stingy and shady, and of course Windows itself has gotten DRAMATICALLY worse, which just complicates things even further.

I've had laptops, multiple, and every single one has been a very special level of terrible. They *suck*. I dont know how anyone puts up with the godforsaken things. Though, it's telling that every single person I know who uses one either A: uses it strictly for very simple business reasons, like typing emails, or B: uses it for everything, but also then complains a lot about how slow it is and how much they want a better machine because it never works right and cant run most things.

Currently, as computers go, I have this tower I'm using now... which works perfectly at all times... and then my bat#$@* insane laptop that occasionally works if the planets are aligned during a blue moon on Friday the 13th. The laptop is not old, either, it's very recent. It's just junk. EXPENSIVE junk, too. Useless thing probably cost a good $1300, yet it's worth maybe 2 candy bars. Frankly I'd rather have the candy. I picked up the ridiculous contraption to be able to play some PC games when I'm not at the main house. In the end though, it is only really used to watch Youtube when I'm travelling and dont feel like putting up with the iPad's awful Youtube app.

Laptops are for exactly two things: *Very* casual use (usually meaning non-demanding business-related stuff, or watching videos), and travelling. Any use beyond that makes it immediately a terrible purchase to buy one. Well... in this age of phones that can handle both the casual/business AND the travelling, a laptop aint gonna beat one of those anyway, so....

In case you cant tell, what I'm getting at is: Get a proper tower. If you must have something portable... get a proper tablet (iOS or Android) instead.

As for cost: You can get a good quality tower for much less than what it would cost you to get a rather bad laptop.

There's something else to consider though: What do you want to DO with the machine? Even if you were to go and buy a tower, that's great and all, but you want to make sure you buy the RIGHT tower. For instance, it's silly to buy an expensive one with high-end video cards and all that sort of thing if you dont do any gaming. And equally silly to buy a low-power business-oriented desktop machine if you ARE into gaming. There's all sorts of stuff to consider when it comes to which of the bazillions of different models to get. If you're out to buy a computer of any sort... you gotta really do the research here. It's gonna take a bit more than just asking on a non-tech forum. I mean, we can offer advice and opinions here, but you should base a major purchase on more than just what we say here.

If you don't need a laptop, desktops are a better deal. I personally love my laptop because I can use it on the couch, lying down in bed, in the car, whatever.

Sadly, they're STILL fragile, underpowered, and nigh-impossible to repair. If anything they've gotten worse as the manufacturers have gotten more stingy and shady, and of course Windows itself has gotten DRAMATICALLY worse, which just complicates things even further.

I've had laptops, multiple, and every single one has been a very special level of terrible. They *suck*. I dont know how anyone puts up with the godforsaken things. Though, it's telling that every single person I know who uses one either A: uses it strictly for very simple business reasons, like typing emails, or B: uses it for everything, but also then complains a lot about how slow it is and how much they want a better machine because it never works right and cant run most things.

Currently, as computers go, I have this tower I'm using now... which works perfectly at all times... and then my bat#$@* insane laptop that occasionally works if the planets are aligned during a blue moon on Friday the 13th. The laptop is not old, either, it's very recent. It's just junk. EXPENSIVE junk, too. Useless thing probably cost a good $1300, yet it's worth maybe 2 candy bars. Frankly I'd rather have the candy. I picked up the ridiculous contraption to be able to play some PC games when I'm not at the main house. In the end though, it is only really used to watch Youtube when I'm travelling and dont feel like putting up with the iPad's awful Youtube app.

Laptops are for exactly two things: *Very* casual use (usually meaning non-demanding business-related stuff, or watching videos), and travelling. Any use beyond that makes it immediately a terrible purchase to buy one. Well... in this age of phones that can handle both the casual/business AND the travelling, a laptop aint gonna beat one of those anyway, so....

In case you cant tell, what I'm getting at is: Get a proper tower. If you must have something portable... get a proper tablet (iOS or Android) instead.

As for cost: You can get a good quality tower for much less than what it would cost you to get a rather bad laptop.

There's something else to consider though: What do you want to DO with the machine? Even if you were to go and buy a tower, that's great and all, but you want to make sure you buy the RIGHT tower. For instance, it's silly to buy an expensive one with high-end video cards and all that sort of thing if you dont do any gaming. And equally silly to buy a low-power business-oriented desktop machine if you ARE into gaming. There's all sorts of stuff to consider when it comes to which of the bazillions of different models to get. If you're out to buy a computer of any sort... you gotta really do the research here. It's gonna take a bit more than just asking on a non-tech forum. I mean, we can offer advice and opinions here, but you should base a major purchase on more than just what we say here.

Ok then thats like alot of what i thought confirmed thank you. I appreciate your patient support m so tech ignorant as to be luddite in recovery. So its like a caveman tryin to buy a business suit.

Roblox is not one game, but platform with many games created by users, you can also make them. Fortnite is a very popular game, but never played it and don't know exactly what it is.

id say pc. you get more power per money. laptops die, either their screen or battery dies or both. you can't upgrade them when they slow down, so you have to buy whole new laptop instead of new parts. I tried doing the whole laptop for gaming and finally just built a pc. I just built it and still follow all the pc builders on youtube and such. if you want to get one or build one I can suggest a few to watch and follow.

I was chained to a desk for 9 years in office work, ended up with a bad back, so I wouldn't use a desk computer. If you're a desk person or not might be a big factor.

I was chained to a desk for 9 years in office work, ended up with a bad back, so I wouldn't use a desk computer. If you're a desk person or not might be a big factor.
my back hurts from years of not using proper posture due to not sitting at desk and chair. its been hurting less since i got computer chair.

New Threads

Top Bottom