• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What scared you as a child but makes laugh now?

Ameriblush

Violin player.
I notice a trend with people being scared of the oddest things when they were younger but now finds them hilarious upon reaching adulthood or near adulthood. Do you have any experiences like that? Post pictures or videos if you want, keep it PG and Safe For Work.

Mine is this random as crap scene from The Marvelous Misadventure Of Flapjack-- a weird late 2000s cartoon that used to terrify me as a child, but now I love it for its weirdness--with this scene where someone looks like a little kid...
But ISN'T.

The original 1978 Jaws movie, scared the wotsits out of me back then, because I didn't know the Shark was fake.

Some Ninja Turtles knock off 90's cartoon about these anthropomorphic mice that rode motorbikes. It was something one of that characters said that scared me. Something about removing someone's brain.

06-24-06bukkake.gif
And this... It's from a Nintendo game based on a Robin Williams movie called Toys. I never saw the movie but always watched my older brothers play video games. When this came on the screen, there was a horrible noise and this thing. Whenever I saw it, I would have panic attacks that my mom swore up and down that she thought I was having a heart attack and she was really close to calling 911 a few times. I didn't start to be afraid of it until after my brother was explaining to someone that whenever this thing came on screen you were supposed to "poke its eyes out". And ever since I had panic attacks whenever it came on screen.

Last edited:
I was also afraid of a lamp in my parent's room when I was about five years old. The lamp base was simply a a statue of an Asian woman holding a fan, but her eyes terrified the hell out of me. So one day, I was standing next to my mother at a bus stop, and this Asian woman came to wait for the bus. I started screaming and hiding behind my mother. I feel both amused and embarrassed at that memory. :oops::laughing:

I was a child of the Cold War, so the threat of nuclear annihilation frightened me on a daily basis. Now I look back on that period with -- oh, wait -- thanks to Kim Jong Un and Donald Trump, that still scares the crap out of me!

28aa681e661172a5bd68fd2aa68fba2b--rosemarys-baby-chat-board.jpg

Oh yeah, Biker Mice from Mars, one of THE most pants Turtles clones of the early 90's IMHO.

I loved Biker Mice from Mars.

As for things that scared me as a child that make me laugh now...nothing. I'm still scared by most things that freaked me out as a child :p

The Wolf from Disney's Peter and the Wolf.
While I don't so much laugh at it, I used to run out of the room in fear whenever it first appeared and roared. Nowadays, I see it and don't even flinch.

(Fast forward to 3:32)

This:

upload_2017-12-9_13-59-24.jpeg

Find it really hilarious and quite ugly now. It's a children's savings bank, that terrified me as a child. Now I find it funny. It's still really creepy looking though.
The yellow stuff on it was always there, it had pieces of tape keeping it together. The face itself, always lacked one eye, which gave me nightmares.

Last edited:
When I was really young I was scared of the foot of the bed under the covers. I thought it was some sorta Bermuda Triangle and things disappeared forever. I remember getting really brave one day and crawling under the the layers of quilts and blankets to find a lost toy. And I didn't disappear or die or find monsters.

I loved Biker Mice from Mars.

As for things that scared me as a child that make me laugh now...nothing. I'm still scared by most things that freaked me out as a child :p

I liked them a little bit after I realized I was going to have to "desensitize" myself a few months later seeing how popular they were and I was never going to get away from them. Anything with their image would trigger a panic attack. About every boy in my first-grade classroom had a lunchbox with them on it. I knew people wouldn't understand if I said I was afraid of them so I had to "train" myself to like them. So for a while, they were a special interest. Not a true special interest, but something I had myself convinced I liked out of "survival".

My grandmothers basement. When I was 4 or 5, I can remember going down there with my dad. It was a very old house and the basement was really dark and creepy. For most of my childhood I avoided basements. Now they do not bother me at all. In fact, I wish that I had one. I could use the extra storage space.

When I was about ten,I slept in the top bunk of our bed. One night,or possibly early morning,there was very heavy thumping noise on the roof that woke me up.
It disturbed me enough to get my parents out of bed to investigate it. My Dad said it was nothing and blamed it on an apple falling on the roof. It could have happened,but the tree was on the wrong end of the house.

For at least the next six months,I would draw the curtains very tightly closed at bedtime so whatever it was that made the sound on the roof couldn't see me and "get" me :eek:

I wasn't a kid, but a teen and seeing the Zombie movie 'Night of the Living Dead' scared me off zombie movies for decades. I imagined them in dark places, in the back yard at night and in my dreams. But now I'm a Zombie Movie 'aficionado'.

I wasn't a kid, but a teen and seeing the Zombie movie 'Night of the Living Dead' scared me off zombie movies for decades. I imagined them in dark places, in the back yard at night and in my dreams. But now I'm a Zombie Movie 'aficionado'.

That was George Romero's first film and the film that kicked off his career.
It was filmed about 75 miles north of my home.
Romero and John Russo co-wrote it and it was filmed on a paltery $150,000 budget.

This:

View attachment 40609

Find it really hilarious and quite ugly now. It's a children's savings bank, that terrified me as a child. Now I find it funny. It's still really creepy looking though.
The yellow stuff on it was always there, it had pieces of tape keeping it together. The face itself, always lacked one eye, which gave me nightmares.
That's just plain demonic looking :p

New Threads

Top Bottom