• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What pets do you have? Why? How did you choose them?

Horsegirl

I have a three guineas, a dog, and a horse (I don't actually own the horse but I ride him all the time and I consider him my pet)

You're my kind of girl. (am I allowed to say that?) :D
I'm stuck in "pets prohibited" rented properties, which is all rented properties in the UK these days, so I'm limited to plants which is sooo lame. I still get to care for another life in a way, I just don't care about them so it doesn't come close to pet ownership. :(
I would volunteer at a local shelter but my local one is where I used to work so.. that would be awkward lol.

You're my kind of girl. (am I allowed to say that?) :D
I'm stuck in "pets prohibited" rented properties, which is all rented properties in the UK these days, so I'm limited to plants which is sooo lame. I still get to care for another life in a way, I just don't care about them so it doesn't come close to pet ownership. :(
I would volunteer at a local shelter but my local one is where I used to work so.. that would be awkward lol.
Oh, that'd suck. I don't think I'd be able to survive without my pets, they are my best friends. I only have two human friends, the rest are animals:D

With 4 kids, I have about every kind of pet I could possibly have - dogs, cats, goats, lizards, frogs, fish, sugar gliders, birds and a mallard duck that my daughter rescued from a squirrel and hatched.
Now I have a dog. I had 2. You'll hear me talk about Honey now and then because she was my soul mate dog and was sooo much like me. She was husky/pit/shepherd mix. Long red clay color hair with white feet, chest and line going down her face and one blue eye one brown eye. We knew how to communicate with each other. Well, she was my best friend and companion and it had been me and her.
Okay, before losing her I adopted a bichon poodle mix from the shelter. He looked awful. Hair was so matted they had to shave him, ribs and spine showing from malnutrition and kidney stones from being dehydrated. Milkbud's his name and he loves sleeping on my head. But he does listen pretty good and has turned into a pretty good dog.

I have a white Border Collie named Boonie. He's one of the smartest dogs I've had. Since I have no human friends this dog has been a good friend to me. We go hiking, play ball, and have all sorts of fun. He looks after me and I look after him. I couldn't imagine life without a dog. Besides the dog I have a cat and four horses on property. The horses are a lot of fun to watch. One of those horses can be ridden.

I'm stuck in "pets prohibited" rented properties, which is all rented properties in the UK these days

My wife and I rent since I lost my place on the housing ladder some years back in a divorce and haven't been able to get back on. Every landlord we've had has been OK with us having a cat. There are some terrible landlords out there, but we've been quite lucky :)
Here's our smallest family member, James Tiberius Kirk (Jimmy to his friends).

k62tTLm.jpg

I have a horse and like every other horse she is the best horse of the world ;).
We found each other fifteen years ago, when she was three months old.
Back then we sometimes were sailing stormy waters , but now our relationship is a grown one.
She brought out my very strengths as well as my limitations, which I had to overcome for the sake of both of us. Learned a lot!
I used to have dogs before. My first one I got, when I was thirteen. Two others followed.
I trust animals generally more than humans and love to observe them.

I have been toying with the idea of getting a pet rabbit. There's lots of wild rabbits where I live and I've become very fond of them. I guess one thing is I don't want to make the commitment.

I wonder if I got one and set it free later if I got tired of taking care of it, if it would be okay and just join in with the bunny community romping all over. All they seem to do is eat grass and make more bunnies. Their babies are so adorable. I'm looking forward to next year's batch.

I wonder if I got one and set it free later if I got tired of taking care of it, if it would be okay and just join in with the bunny community romping all over.
Considered logically this seems to be a good idea.
Considered holistically, it would be better to let them their freedom.
Sorry for that...

We have ten cats, six dogs, five guinea pigs, two birds and a little over thirty chickens. We live in a very remote area surrounded by hundreds of acres on two sides. Thoughtless people tend to dump off their unwanted cats near our house and the strays end up invariably coming to us.

The first cat we ever acquired was found in the chicken coup eating chicken food. She was mangy and starving. We cared for her for the remainder of her life. She made an extremely nice pet. Pictured below is one of our cats (Jill) and one of our dogs (Lakota - on the left).

100_0770 (LR)(1500x1000).jpg
500_6505 (LRG)16x9-F(1500x844).jpg

What a beautiful boy, moggies or tuxedo cats are the best. Like my Charlie was.

What a sweetie :)
Jimmy is the first tuxedo cat either of us have had and we've both developed a liking for them. He's got so much character and is a great companion. My wife set up an Instagram page just to keep photos of him together and forgot to make it private. He's now got well over a thousand followers!

I’d be lost without my cats. I have four. And currently have one snoring next to me. He’s the best friend that’s always there.

Mia - Your black & white cat looks exactly like a cat my wife has. Our kitty has diabetes and requires 5 units of insulin twice a day. Your other kitty (gray) reminds me of the first cat we ever had. She was the cat we found in our chicken coup eating chicken feed. She was a super sweet cat. We miss her.

New Threads

Top Bottom