• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What OTC meds and supplements help you?

Full Steam

The renegade master
V.I.P Member
Gaba - balances glutamate and is calming. Gets rid of the "electric under the skin" feeling.
B12 - helps detox
B6 - detox
B1 - detox sulphur
5htp - helps depression
St John's work - depression
Potassium - I have low potassium
Glutathione - love this stuff. Detox and feels like a breath of fresh air. I mix caps with hand cream and rub on my arms.
Taurine - not sure but it helps. I can see better after taking it too.

I take more that I probably need, but all the above have very noticeable effects.

I was thinking about trying magnesium and calcium to see if that would help with my chronic need for clenching my jaw. And maybe perhaps do something for my tics - although I highly doubt it.

I am taking SAM-e right now. It helps a lot. I will try Glut soon. Thank you! I also do b6. Sam-e and B6 help me a lot.
ALso:
Vit C large amounts
Clacium, mag, Vit D (don't take calcium without vit D)
DIM
Gaba and Melatonin at night,m but not every night.
CoQ10! Very helpful
Essiac Tea on occasion

Sometimes: Selenium with Vit E to detox

Loads of turmeric. VERY HELPFUL!
Lots of ginger.
Various spices
Green tea.
Obijwa tea (like Essiac)

ive tried quite a few natural remedies for aspects of my autism such as sleep and challenging behavior,i think it was B6 + magnesium was one of them,i was one of the first to be prescribed the combo on the NHS for autism but my GP refused to use the amount used in the US for autism as he said in females it can cause an organ to fail [i cant remember which one].

the only supplement that works for me is melatonin but its not licenced in the UK,i used to be on it but when i was sectioned into a intellectual disability secure hospital they put me on zopiclone and took the melatonin off-the zopiclone never worked but the melatonin did,it changed my quality of life dramatically.
i was then took off the zopiclone before leaving,and after that doctors and shrinks refused to put me back on melatonin saying it was only licenced for old people and children under 18 in the UK.
HOWEVER,finally!! i am getting somewhere,albeit 4/5 years later.
my new pyschiatrist [intellectual disability specialized] is sending my GP a letter to ask him to prescribe the melatonin to me,he said doctors can legally prescribe it off licence in certain circumstances [but can also choose not to], he said he would have done it but because he is part of manchester councils social services intellectual disability team [yep,a mouthful] he isnt allowed power to prescribe,he has to request it from the GP.
melatonin changed my life,i am looking forward to finally getting back on it and not being awake till past 8pm the next day until physically crashing.

I am taking SAM-e right now. It helps a lot. I will try Glut soon. Thank you! I also do b6. Sam-e and B6 help me a lot.
ALso:
Vit C large amounts
Clacium, mag, Vit D (don't take calcium without vit D)
DIM
Gaba and Melatonin at night,m but not every night.
CoQ10! Very helpful
Essiac Tea on occasion

Sometimes: Selenium with Vit E to detox

Loads of turmeric. VERY HELPFUL!
Lots of ginger.
Various spices
Green tea.
Obijwa tea (like Essiac)

How much Sam-e are you taking, and how is it helping you? I'm only up to 400 mg for the last couple weeks and am noticing a little boost in motivation and a little less racing, negative thoughts. I imagine I will need to go up from here though.

Taking B vitamins helps keep my skin from hurting. If I go very long without taking the Bs I end up with skin that just can't stand to be touched at all, particularly my arms. I'd love to find something similar to help with anxiety and panic and insomnia but so far no supplements have ever helped with any of that.

My current lineup:

3x a day: BComplex 50, 1g niacin, 3k Vitamin C

Therepeutic niacin protocol, doing wonders, I started a Niacin Therapy thread

1x a day: 100mg Pregnenolone (to support adrenal system for stress) Vitamin D3 in oil (essential for living in the Frozen North) chelated magnesium (because it is difficult to get in food)

Sometimes: Maca for adrenal support, vitamin A until the bottle is gone, Serrapeptase for fighting glycation (thought it might be upsetting my stomach, will try it again)

Glutathione - love this stuff. Detox and feels like a breath of fresh air. I mix caps with hand cream and rub on my arms.

We got a liposomal version for Mr WereBear, who has the MTFHR gene. It comes in little packets to be eaten, and its nickname immediately became Skunk Jello. :)

How much Sam-e are you taking, and how is it helping you? I'm only up to 400 mg for the last couple weeks and am noticing a little boost in motivation and a little less racing, negative thoughts. I imagine I will need to go up from here though.

Just one tab. i am so sensitive. If I take it three days in a row it does indeed make me manic. It will pull me out of suidicla depression wihc I am in right now. So it does help but I have to be careful. It is very powerful on me. Anytihng is, really. I have sesnory problems

New Threads

Top Bottom