• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What music do you play when you're down?

It’s classical music for me, just to give me a bit of a lift.

It has an effect on my brain that other genres can’t achieve.
Wakes my brain up, gets the blood pumping, puts me in a different frame of mind.

I just skip songs until I find something I wish to listen to.
I have found two albums that will get me into a good mood.「あずまんが大王」

Hard to say because the genres vary so much. I can pretty much guarantee you it'll be in a "minor" key though. Like 99% of the music I listen to anyway.

8867228824_dbb6fbb796_b.jpg
P!nk! :D

If I feel up, I endeavor to force myself to slow down.
If I feel down, I force myself to exercise and be active.

The highs and lows feed each other-- even for those of us who are not bipolar.

Music I like though, all the time:
Beethoven
Long John Baldry
New Order
Jimmy Buffett
Sophie B. Hawkins
AC/DC
The Clash
Disturbed
and lots of others.

When I'm feeling down I usually like to listen to music in a minor key like Evanescence blue stahli or maybe Lacuna Coil. I enjoy this music but it tends to keep me down in fact it can make it a lot worse. I just had a meltdown about 2 weeks ago and unfortunately I did listen to music that hurt me more than it helped. If I am needing to be lifted up I find it's better to listen to what you might call funky music that has a Beat that I can dance to. I am a terrible dancer but I do like the bounce to the music. :)
I'm thinking of music like Daft Punk's Lose Yourself to Dance or get lucky. I also enjoy Earth Wind & Fire the Commodores and Parliament.

When I'm in a mood I play Meat Loaf on my Alexa device nice and loud, especially the older songs because I know most of his classic stuff off by heart so I sing along.

i use to listen to these songs

fix you

mad world

songs from simple plan

the scientist

the glee versions of hears to us and candles

sometimes classical as well

Oh. My.
Thanks to @Crossbreed , I have just found this--- after 15 years of searching.
Don't know why youtube never crossed my mind.
Needing uplifted?
This is one of my favorites:

I'm almost always down, so my list can be quite long...

At the top, its Nirvana. As a person who dealt with depression most of his Life, I love how Kurt integrates sadness in his music, and makes it somehow more tolerable.

Next, Jimi Hendrix. What can I say, just a phenomenon

Linkin park, they have somewhat more "teenage" feeling to their music, but it's still quite mature if you listen

Chopin, he has a series of Nocturnes, that are all about reflection

Deftones also work quite well, I heard about them with the Matrix movie, but they generally have quite atmospheric music

Linkin Park, especially that song, would definitely make any low mood far worse for me.
I don't have much to smile about. So I need to be uplifted, pretty much all day every day.
Which means I could suggest many songs... but I post a lot of similar stuff, and particularly my favourite cheesy anime idol groups, performances by the voice actors and sometimes dance covers. I hope I don't bore anyone with reposts (I do try to be careful about that).

I think this one by Aqours is a recent enough addition to my playlist that I think I haven't posted it before though. I find the whole live show very uplifting; but I think the song "Miracle Wave" which starts at 3:35 is guaranteed to give you a grin. If it doesn't then there's no hope for you!
I mean the song alone is very energising and uplifting, for me. The live performance by the voice actors, if I'm watching the video, is just a great bonus.

And lastly a nonfictional idol group.
This is Afilia Saga and the song "S*M*L" is a lifesaver for me. It is uplifting enough to allow me to do difficult things like walk to the supermarket or even attend another horrible hospital appointment! I just put my headphones on and let the "sweet sweet melty love" carry me there. :)

Last edited:
I'm almost always down, so my list can be quite long...

At the top, its Nirvana. As a person who dealt with depression most of his Life, I love how Kurt integrates sadness in his music, and makes it somehow more tolerable.

Next, Jimi Hendrix. What can I say, just a phenomenon

Linkin park, they have somewhat more "teenage" feeling to their music, but it's still quite mature if you listen

Chopin, he has a series of Nocturnes, that are all about reflection

Deftones also work quite well, I heard about them with the Matrix movie, but they generally have quite atmospheric music

I listen to all of those! WE similar!:cool:

Linkin Park, especially that song, would definitely make any low mood far worse for me.

My problem is not that I'm sad per se, but that I can't relate to the world. So it's still better for me to listen to people that I find similar. Yep, a lot of these people ended up dead pretty young, which I actually find liberating and I'm not judging. Kurt has a great thought - it's better to burn out, than to fade away.

I know quite a lot about the Japanese culture, and although I can relate to big extend, dealing with pain in particular is something in this culture I find not for my taste. It feels like to prefer to fade away, silently, in a childish, safe dream. In the west, people generally try to put up a fight, although it's futile most of the time... Like the "The Last Samurai", "The Last Mohican" kind of movies, which is funny since these are movies about other cultures that the West destroyed to some extend, the West was the enemy. Although I dislike a lot of thing in the European culture, and prefer the Eastern one, the will to live and endure pain in the West is somewhat fascinating. Well, everyone has limit at the end...

I could not add this band, since the limit.

I like also Norwegian gothic:

And Irish, I guess another burn out...

My problem is not that I'm sad per se, but that I can't relate to the world. So it's still better for me to listen to people that I find similar. Yep, a lot of these people ended up dead pretty young
Yep, I can see your point, and I do appreciate the art that illustrates the feelings of the artist and those who can relate to those feelings. I don't believe that those feelings should be hidden. I just can't have it as background music or the theme tune to my day, especially when I am prone to low mood, or it amplifies my depression. .
I was given some Linkin Park CDs and a Sony Discman one summer when I was homeless, by a guy who found them ultimately "bad for his head", and I had to concur.. So I threw them away lol. It was like bad weed. :p

I don't know if the euphoric or empowering songs I listen to are representative of the Japanese culture. There are many uplifting and empowering European/ Caucasian American songs too; and many of the sad movies and shows I like are also Japanese.
I like a sad story that I can relate to, but there's a limited run time to those movies/series, so they aren't influencing my mood throughout the day.
Girls' Last Tour is a fantastic work of art. The earth and the human race really is about to die so it's relevant to everyone right now. :) "Learn to get along with the feeling of hopelessness"
Airdoll is one of my favourite movies, about the emptiness inside and meaninglessness of life for weirdos like me lol. It's great. I cry every time. :)
I just don't watch it when I'm in a low mood.

This is a particularly poisonous song that was stuck in my head one night as I tramped into a blizzard while pushing a bicycle with punctured tyres.. with nothing to look forward to at the end except for the relief from the pain. I therefore cannot recommend anyone listens to this ever. :)

Last edited:
I play sad music.

I love sad music. The more heartbreaking/gut wrenching the better! Well, except for a couple songs that hit a nerve too much now that they aren't my reality anymore.

I absolutely subscribe to the "sad songs help heal a situation" camp! I know some people are the opposite though.

Oh, and for me, it has to be country (with one or two exceptions), although I have songs from all across the genre that I like.)

New Threads

Top Bottom