1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Featured What makes you laugh?

Discussion in 'General Autism Discussion' started by SimonSays, Mar 3, 2021.

1. SimonSays

SimonSays A work in progress

I mean really laugh, a proper belly laugh. The kind of laugh where my sides ache, eyes water and I can't always catch my breath.

Larry David on Curb your Enthusiasm. It's also a Jewish thing in many ways.

Jackie Mason
    Billy Connolly
    Eddie Izzard

Sacha Baron Cohen playing Borat

Me sometimes, having seen something I think is absurd, it makes me burst out laughing in the street. Then after having laughed I realise how absurd it is to just laugh out loud at something only I find funny. That also makes me laugh.

• Like Like x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Magna

Magna Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

I don't belly laugh very often or regular laugh for that matter. Also sometimes it's odd or strange things that make me laugh. When my wife and I were dating many years ago, for some reason this TV commercial made me laugh so hard that no sound was coming out. Thankfully my wife stuck with me rather than running from me thinking I was a freak. I think puppets are funny.

I have belly laughed watching Curb your Enthusiasm on occasion.

I would be a comedian's worst nightmare if I was in the audience during a live set because most of the time even if I'm amused by something I'm stone faced. That doesn't mean I don't think something is funny necessarily, but to me there are many levels of funny and most levels don't elicit an outward response from me.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 7
  3. OkRad

OkRad μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος οὐλομένην V.I.P Member

Heee. You at least made me smile and even more thinking of you laughing your butt off and your (to be) wife wondering what was so funny! :) I never saw the commercials. What do they have to do with jeans?

• Like Like x 2
  4. Magna

I think Levis had a certain kind of jean at the time that were supposed to be wrinkle free known as Sta-Prest. There were a series of commercials with the puppet and his cohort. I researched later on and the puppet is called Flat Eric.

• Like Like x 2
  5. jared mills

jared mills Rookie

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha,Joker Style,I learned it from him as well as this kid from school who is an expert in everything about him:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Last edited: Mar 3, 2021
    • Like Like x 2
  6. Tom

Tom Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Without a doubt the person who made me laugh harder then anyone else by several notches was Mr. Warmth (aka Don Rickles).

Profile_-_Mr._Potato_Head.jpg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. George Newman

George Newman Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wolfsage

Wolfsage In training to be Wolf King.

Old Spice commercials. And Madea.

• Like Like x 1
  9. The Pandector

The Pandector Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

This is me, to a 't.'

I really enjoy snappy-repartee on the rare occasion I come across someone who will indulge in it with me. It is my natural humor. But I find I have to manufacture smiles and laughs while doing it or my partner will quickly lose interest. Gotta show the teeth, even if it detracts from the dead-pan joy of it.

BUT... I was collecting my words to write this response when I wondered who Tom is and read his ID plate. Bucket list: trampled by elephants; check. I'm still belly laughing!

I love the ridiculous when the hidden point is sublime.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Sean Emgee

Sean Emgee New Member

Watching the slapstick humour of Laurel and Hardy, the splenetic rants of R.E.G in Withnail and I and much more besides

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. SusanLR

SusanLR Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

@SimonSays Yes, Borat is one of the funniest that has really made me laugh.
    Dumb and Dumber, Harold and Kumar.

I normally don't laugh much either. Sometimes I'll suddenly say, "Ha! Look at this!"
    If I see something I read or see that seems silly to me.
    HaroldKumar.jpg Gotta get to White Castle...

12. SimonSays

SimonSays A work in progress

Is that just the way you are? Is it something you attribute to being on the spectrum?

But you imply that there are levels that sometimes do. Is there anything you can remember that did make you laugh out loud?

13. Gift2humanity

Gift2humanity Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

When younger toilet humour made me laugh.
    Are used to act silly in school because I was bored and I used to make myself laugh.
    I have not a good belly laugh in ages when I have I used to act silly in school because I was bored and I used to make myself laugh.
    I have not a good belly laugh in ages when I have depression, I think I’ve had depression all my life. It’s got a lot worse lately and I find it very hard to laugh I miss laughing because i used to love it.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2021
  14. Gift2humanity

Gift2humanity Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

Dumb and dumber made me laugh when it came out.

15. Magna

I do laugh out loud on occasion, but it's very rare. When I say "levels" of funny I mean something like this:

If someone tells a joke that is humorous to some degree for me such as: "How much space do fungi need to grow?" Answer: "As mushroom as possible.", I'll smile. It's it funny enough for me to actually laugh out loud? No.

Or, something can be funny and I can be mildly amused by it, but it may not elicit a smile. I'll be inwardly amused. And just like Gift2humanity said, for me I admit I'm amused by toilet humor. I too had belly laughs watching Dumb and Dumber when I saw it for the first time. Especially the toilet scene.

16. Progster

Progster Gone sideways to the sun V.I.P Member

Toilet humor.
    Slapstick comedy.
    Monty Python.
    Black humour sometimes.
    This:

17. Ihaveaspergers

Ihaveaspergers Active Member

I don't ussually laugh a lot like that.
    Sten-Åke Cederhök is a favorite of mine.

This is from the Swedish version of Steptoe and son