• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What makes you feel the best or most stable?

disconnected

V.I.P Member
looking back, I’ve probably had the best baseline mood when running. I’m weird. I’ve done 19 ultra marathons since 2012. Excessive running made me feel stable mentally. Next is motorcycles/mountain bikes and maybe skiing than backpacking.

My therapist says anything that gets me outside makes me feel better.

Short Term- I enjoy a lot of music. :)

I was never into gaming, but LOVED “Tony Hawk Proskater” and “Guitar Hero” for play station

When my brain can organise things. If there is disorder, I panic and as soon as I can put things in mental boxes, I can breath again.

And in truth, having a bit of money. The idea of having absolutely no money, does get me into a panic.

And in truth, having a bit of money.

Yes, having some money saved up helps me feel much safer. For me, money is security.

Aside from that, I am happiest anytime I get to make a thing. It really doesn't matter what thing. It can be writing a poem, writing a computer program, solving a math problem, building a play set, shed, or patio covering, making models ... anything that is constructive or creative makes me feel good.

When I have plenty of money coming in and some money put aside. I don't want to be rich, I just want to have enough to live on and not fear running out. As others have said, money is security.

When I have a project or I'm making something. I like to be productive and active, hate the feeling of being bored.

looking back, I’ve probably had the best baseline mood when running. I’m weird. I’ve done 19 ultra marathons since 2012. Excessive running made me feel stable mentally. Next is motorcycles/mountain bikes and maybe skiing than backpacking.

I was never into gaming, but LOVED “Tony Hawk Proskater” and “Guitar Hero” for play station
Sleep or very near sleep

I feel best and the most stable when I am with my family, starting with my wife.

Wow, I haven't thought about Tony Hawk Pro Skater" in years. That was one of the first games I ever played on a console, and I played the living hell out of it. Good times, good memories.

I suppose my best baseline mood comes for me when I'm driving. I'm never in a bad mood when I'm driving, especially when driving a fun car. I totaled my Mustang a couple years ago and haven't had a fun car since. Must get another!

Sad to say, I really haven't found it yet. ??? Maybe sleep, but then if there's a weird dream popping up, that really unnerves me until I get my bearings and realize it was just a dream.

Being somewhere warm. Tropical.

My family has a house down south on an island nobody seems to have heard of, and whenever I'm down there... ahh, it's nice. Warm or bloody hot, one way or another. I cant deal with cold places/things.

Also, when doing cosplay at any convention.

I feel most stable when I have a regular baseline schedule that doesn't change much. Having a job with regular hours will do that for me. It gives me the stability I need to be flexible outside of work, if that makes sense. It also gives me a sense of purpose and being useful, which vastly improves my mood. And it forces me to interact with people on some level, which is also good for me. Plus, money.

The one thing I never wanted to be doing was lying on my bed or dragging my leg a few feet and resting ,I was like you to A lesser degree now I can't rely on adrenaline to keep me sort of happy .
Now I fight to sleep.

Immersing myself in nature/ natural environments/ the mountains/ the ocean

Spending time with family

Exploring unfamiliar places

Positive sensory input of various types

Vigorous exercise/ hiking/ bodyboarding/ swimming to activate endorphins and an over-all sense of wellbeing

Knowing that the rent is paid and I don’t have to worry about it being late,I grew up with parents who didn’t pay the rent and we were evicted numerous of times so now I am very hyper vigilant about the rent being paid on time and I can get severe anxiety to the point I panic over late bills.

Last edited:
The only things that have given me a sense of stability and well being is physical activity. I trail run, mountain bike, crosscountry ski, alpine tour, hike, take long walks through town, swim, sail, surf.

I have always felt physically uncomfortable, so the fatigue and aches from vigorous physical activity gives me the sense that the pain and discomfort is for a good reason.

I get a short lived sense of accomplishment from these activities, and long term satisfaction of maintaining fitness and skill.

I also like to draw and build things. I am a woodworker, welder, machinist. Although, apart from drawing, these things can create more agitation and/ or frustration than satisfaction and srnse of well being. When a project goes well, it is pretty satisfying, and I have things I've made ( furniture, etc.) that still make me feel good years after I made them.

Edited to add that when I was younger, I liked to do things with others, but as I've gotten older, I prefer to do things bh myself. I'm not against doing things with others, its just easier for me due to my flakiness and challenges with time. Also, many times I get in a groove and don't want to stop and other people want to go home.

I also feel the best outside, next listening to music, then back when I was able, a nice doobie before bed always helped me get some nice restful, seemingly dreamless sleep.

New Threads

Top Bottom