• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What kinds of workplace accommodations have you successfully received?

hiraeth

V.I.P Member
If I look up "workplace accommodations for ASD" I see pages and pages of different recommendations, which makes sense given that there are many types of jobs and great variation on the spectrum. But the thought that continuously hits me is how often I find myself thinking "I had no idea this was something you could ask for". "Is this just theoretical recommendations, how likely will an employer actually bother with this in practice?"

If you are currently in a job where you receive accommodations on the basis of ASD, what are they? How difficult was it to obtain them in the first place?

I am interested in hearing from all types of work and workplaces.

I do an office job:

No telephone
Directly report to senior manager
Headphones
Flourescents removed from above my desk
Desk isolated from others
Excused from big meetings

I had to nearly get fired to get them - a long and painful tale.

You don't need to disclose your diagnosis in order to get accommodations (in the U.S., anyway). You just need a medical doctor to state in writing that you have a medical condition that requires certain reasonable accommodations. This is the route I would go.

In my case, the only formal accommodation I asked for (and got) was a reduced work schedule, from 40 hours a week to 35. As I was an hourly employee, this also meant a drop in pay, which I was okay with.

An informal accommodation I did not request, but got, was that there was a loud and offensive chatterbox in the cubicle next to mine, who was constantly discussing her personal business on the phone, such as family problems, with heaven knows who, a friend I guess. I complained to a supervisor, not really wanting any change but instead just "wanting to get something off my chest," and within a few days, the other worker got re-assigned to a cubicle several spaces further away. Thank you!

I have always felt that the less personal and medical information you turn over to an employer, the better. They have no business knowing your business.

If I look up "workplace accommodations for ASD" I see pages and pages of different recommendations, which makes sense given that there are many types of jobs and great variation on the spectrum. But the thought that continuously hits me is how often I find myself thinking "I had no idea this was something you could ask for". "Is this just theoretical recommendations, how likely will an employer actually bother with this in practice?"

If you are currently in a job where you receive accommodations on the basis of ASD, what are they? How difficult was it to obtain them in the first place?

resource vercida.com A company that helps !with job searches ‘if you have disabilities !including autism . You can look for jobs in the UK ,Belgium ,the Czech Republic and France.

I have never received any accommodations of any kind at work. However, I was lucky enough to work with my special interest and work alone, a Aspies dream. I enjoyed my work so much that I am still doing it, at 73.

I've been accommodated in many jobs for anxiety, various small things I was not required to do because I explained that it made me painfully anxious, but I was careful to not ask about anything essential to the job.

I've been accommodated in many jobs for anxiety, various small things I was not required to do because I explained that it made me painfully anxious, but I was careful to not ask about anything essential to the job.
If I understand correctly, these were informal accommodations? In other words you didn't need medical documentation and applicable legislation to achieve them - just a frank talk with a supervisor?

I think the distinction is useful.

As I covered in the video about autistics working that I put up not long ago, there's legislation across the world which is supposed to both protect us and ensure reasonable accommodations are made when necessary. As some of the conversations I've seen & been involved in here and elsewhere recently are demonstrating, it's rarely as easy to get those accommodations as it should be.

One common sequence of events is:
1. Autistic has trouble with something and asks for accommodation.
2. Boss says "Too expensive/disruptive" or the classic "If I do it for you, everyone will want it"
3. Autistic puts up with it for a while then eventually goes back to boss and points out their obligations under local anti-discrimination legislation.
4. Autistic finds themselves in trouble or fired based on their "lack of capability" to do their job, their sick leave or some other pretext relating to team dynamics.

It's slowly getting better with some employers taking their responsibilities seriously, but there are still too many who don't. Even companies that make bold statements about their diversity are often unaware that diversity of neurology is even a thing.

Here's the video if anyone's interested.

I really haven't required any special accommodations when I've worked. I think if I needed any my employers would give them to me.

If I understand correctly, these were informal accommodations? In other words you didn't need medical documentation and applicable legislation to achieve them - just a frank talk with a supervisor?

I think the distinction is useful.

Oh, yes, exactly, they were informal. Sorry about that, and sorry if the topic of the thread concerns formal accommodations.

I only mentioned it in one job, and I wished I hadn't, it wasn't understood in any useful way. Perhaps the informal route @Fino described is a better idea, and mentioning other reasons, such as it makes me a bit stressed when it's noisy, and I find it hard to work as efficiently as I can usually, etc.

Oh, yes, exactly, they were informal. Sorry about that, and sorry if the topic of the thread concerns formal accommodations.
oh no no no, I was digressing, but I don't think the topic is either formal OR informal but just general.

I have a lot to say on the subject of "reasonable accommodations" but I'm too durn tired. Suffice to say, your idea of reasonable and your employer's may differ.

What a novel topic. I, only last week, gave a speech on autism employment... which I'm hoping will hit YouTube soon... but until it does... and to answer the question: None. At all. Which is why I left and pursued my own business. Because then I could be in an environment that I enjoyed without the need to deal with being in a business who does not effectively value their employees.

New Threads

Top Bottom