• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Kind of Music Did Your Parents Listen to While You Were Growing Up?

Yeshuasdaughter

You know, that one lady we met that one time.
V.I.P Member
Post one song for your mom and one for your dad, showing what kind of music they liked when you were a child.

I'll go first:

Dad:

Mom:

My mother loved Ace of Base. I will not be linking to any of their songs here. She listened to them so often that just hearing the opening bars of one of their hits is enough to make me cringe.

My biological father loved grunge rock, so we had that in common.

Country, mostly Grand Ole Opry. My Dad didn't listen to music much. I can't easily find any videos of what my mom listened to. She'd record songs off the television with a reel-to-reel tape recorder. I think we also watched "The Porter Wagoner Show."

This has some very early Willie Nelson

We watched "Hee-Haw!" on TV regularly. It was a country version of "Rowan and Martin" and "Smothers Brothers"

I liked country music and still do. Good country has a level of honesty that most rock never gets close to. No rock song makes me cry but there are a couple of country songs that really get to me. Glen Campbel and Johnny Cash were my favorites. There were other individual songs I liked but no other artists I'd call favorites. I didn't get a lot of exposure to rock it until I was a teenager. By the time I was in high school it was my preferred genre.

Last edited:
But i remember this on a record player
R-6119558-1411550246-6197.jpg

My mum who's now 80 listened to country music, soundtracks from musicals, Elvis Presley and similar artists, Dire Straits, Queen.
My dad liked classical music and some local folk artists.

My dad liked classic rock. My mom liked country. I still like both, but now I'm more into alternative and indie. Country especially makes me nostalgic.

My dad didn’t really listen to music. He occasionally put on a CD in the car with Chinese music on it but that’s it. My sister was a huge Beatles fan and she listened to the oldies station on the radio often. She did like other current acts as well such as Fiona Apple and No Doubt. I had an interest in disco music and started to develop a love for 80s music. My dad has no idea where our love of music came from.

My parents always usually left the radio on its classical station. I heard Vivaldi once and I was hooked. They grew up in the 70's though.

Dad:

Mom:

My dad loved Steely Dan, Peter Frampton, some Frank Zappa (70s), some prog, and some jazz.

My mom loves Paul McCartney, The Beatles, some Alice Cooper, and usually listens to top 40/soft rock.

New Threads

Top Bottom