1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What kind of cupcakes for St. Patrick's Day?

Discussion in 'Obsessions and Interests' started by Pink Jazz, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Pink Jazz

Pink Jazz Well-Known Member

While Christmas and Valentine's Day are my two regular holidays for making cupcakes (red velvet for the former and strawberry for the latter, both with cream cheese frosting), I think I should expand a bit and make something for St. Patrick's Day. The simplest thing to do would be to buy a Betty Crocker white cake mix and dye it green (or add blue dye to a yellow cake mix), but I would prefer something with a bit more flavor. However, I never made any cupcakes from scratch before and it seems like it might be a lot of work. Nobody makes a green velvet cake mix. I remember there used to be a green key lime pie-flavored cake mix available (can't remember the brand), but I think it has been discontinued.

What would be good cake mix suggestions for St. Patrick's Day cupcakes?

2. Ken S.

Ken S. Dog Cookie King V.I.P Member

Pistachio comes to mind.

• 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
    • 1 (3.4 ounce) package instant pistachio pudding mix
    • 4 eggs
    • 1 1/2 cups water
    • 1/4 cup sunflower oil
    • 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    • 7 drops green food coloring
    • 1/3 cup almond slivers (Optional)

3. Mia

Mia Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

You could do mint chocolate or simply chocolate cupcakes with with green mint frosting. If you are not a chocolate fan, and/or dislike the taste of mint then:

Here's a Green velvet recipe from McCormick's using a german chocolate cake mix:
    Easy Green Velvet Cupcakes

4. Pink Jazz

5. Crossbreed

Crossbreed Neur-D Missionary ☝

[​IMG] (Don't say "pink.") ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Pink Jazz

My strawberry cupcakes for Valentine's Day are pink.

• Funny Funny x 2
  7. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

8. Bolletje

Bolletje Overly complicated potato V.I.P Member

9. Alexej

Alexej Well-Known Member

Guinness flavoured base and an emerald green icing

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. GrownupGirl

GrownupGirl Tempermental Artist

I'm thinking I'd like to make chocolate cupcakes with mint-flavored green icing, green sprinkles, and maybe green maraschino cherries.:yum: But I'll probably be too lazy to make individual cupcakes, so I'll just make one big cake instead, and frost it.

One time around Easter I made carrot cupcakes with cream cheese frosting, and I put green and orange jellybeans on them to look like carrots.
    But you know, I'm kind of annoyed by the stereotype that rabbits love carrots. They don't. Except maybe the leafy green tops.

11. Yeshuasdaughter

Yeshuasdaughter Well-Known Member V.I.P Member It's My Birthday!

Chocolate cupcakes with Cream cheese frosting dyed green. [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. Pink Jazz

Well, I made the green velvet recipe that I posted, and it turned out well. Note that I substituted the liquid buttermilk with powdered buttermilk and water, since liquid buttermilk doesn't come in quantities smaller than a quart and it is highly unlikely I would use it all before it goes bad. I also used green gel food coloring, which I think I couldn't have done without since I don't think the regular liquid food coloring would have been concentrated enough.

• Like Like x 1