• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Is Wrong With Some People?

Reedstorm17

This has bothered me all day.

In gym class today, we were playing a game called Team Handball. If you get the ball, you have to pass it within three steps.

So, there's this kid in my class who I think might also have Asperger's, and it's not as well hidden as mine. He was on the other team.

So this popular girl, also on the other team, kept cheering him on when he got the ball, counting his steps (in a slightly high-pitched voice), and after he passed the ball or tried to score she would say, "good job!" In the same voice. She wasn't doing this to any other teammates.

Sometimes he smiled, but other times it was hard to tell what he was thinking. I don't think he was liking it very much.

I wanted to approach that girl and tell her to stop treating him like a baby because he's not any less human. The whole game I imagined telling her off about how unfair it is and if I know anything from my own experience, we just want to be treated like normal people, and because I'm pretty close to that it hurts to witness others not getting the same.

Of course, I only bit my tongue and walked away from her. Maybe one day I'll stand up to those people who don't have any respect for us.

I hope you do find the courage to stand up to those that do not respect you and, others. There will always be those people in this world but, standing up to them does make them, and others at least think twice before being so disrespectful for the most part. there are some that just don't care and, all you get for standing up to those sort is hate but, those are few compared to the ones that will at least hear you and think before they act or speak next time.

The girl sounds like she is trying to help, so I would tread carefully. Ask the guy how he feels about it sometime in private. If he doesn't like it, suggest he talk to the girl about it (tactfully), or offer to help with the communication. Aspie friends are far and few between and worth holding onto. She likely just doesn't understand or see the issue completely.

Very difficult and I feel for you, because I would be the same. But it was obvious she was trying to encourage him. If he smiled though, I would say that it was more in a mocking way, especially because he was not reacting any other time.

I have experienced females, when they perceive me as different, act as though I cannot function without them and I smile and am polite, but in my head, I am screaming: get out of my space and then, feel embarrassed, because she was only trying to be

Thanks.
Yeah, I understand the trying to help part, but it's just really hard to watch when I know how it feels.

That's a frustrating concern to say the least. I mean, if we take it on face value it may involve someone with good intentions who simply doesn't recognize how patronizing her actions are. On the other hand, you have to wonder if she as one of the more popular kids is simply mocking the boy in question. Kids can be so cruel at times, as most of us here know firsthand.

I suppose if I were to consider approaching someone under such circumstances it would involve some serious diplomacy that may or may not be above my ability to process properly. Equally to be fair we can't just expect or assume people to randomly comprehend what's at stake in terms of how autistic people wish to be treated.

Last edited:
Thanks.
Yeah, I understand the trying to help part, but it's just really hard to watch when I know how it feels.
I would be careful as the others said and make sure you know what truly is going on. But when you see something plain obvious i would totally go for it full force. When i was in school i didn't have the courage to do anything. Don't make the mistake i did. You will be out of school in no time and most people you know you wont really see at all anymore.....but it all only matters at the moment...

New Threads

Top Bottom