• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is the oldest thing you own?

Kalinychta

V.I.P Member
What is the oldest object in your house?

I have a few old books from the 1930s, a typewriter from the 1970s, and a kimono from Japan from the 1960s. (Nothing too special.)

I have some fossils and indian artifacts, some civil war musket balls, but my favorites are a silver roman coin and bronze roman arrowhead I picked up at a shop in Trier Germany.

A pine chest of drawers, made during 1880's and two bronze African tribal masks that are around 150 years old.

I love old things. They're so interesting and well made.

A small cedar box from 1910-1920? Was my grandmother's, a gift to her from one of her students.

Eh, myself?

I used to have a flower fossil I found with my friend but it got lost somewhere along the way.

I have a few old books from the 1930s, a typewriter from the 1970s, and a kimono from Japan from the 1960s. (Nothing too special.)

All those things sound special Kalinychta.

I have some plant fossils, a fish fossil, a sponge fossil, many thousands of years old.

It all depends on perspective. I have some rock samples from the Canadian Shield, about 3.6-3.9 billion years old. I also have some Ediacara fossils (dickinsonia) at about 600 million. Both personal finds while working, not bought. Not all that old. Some pieces in my meteorite collection could be in the 5-7 billion range or more. My training taught me to not be disturbed by numbers like this, but I still find it fascinating.

You really got me thinking...probably the 1930's - an engagement ring. I have a typewriter too :) but it would be 1960's I think.

As for man made, I have several things from the Victorian era, like a small china dish and a round Edison blue wax record. My workbench table is probably Victorian too but I've never been able to find out for sure, it came from a dumpster downtown that was in front of a house built in 1891 that was being renovated. As for natural, I have rocks from different places I've lived, a chunk of granite from my hometown, a piece of "greywacke" from San Francisco (very young as geology goes) and I also have a piece of "Lassen-Keck" volcanic rock from a cliff near my land up in Jefferson. I also have a chunk of pumice from Mount Shasta, probably from the 1786 eruption, you can buy pumice chunks in the towns at the base of the mountain, they are sold as foot callus scrubbers but some people believe them to be sacred.

sort of awkward sort of not awkward depending on whether you know it may be sacred .
Good point. I was thinking from the point of view of those who know, and believe it to be sacred, to see the pieces not only selling - but selling for people to scrub their feet with.

You really got me thinking...probably the 1930's - an engagement ring. I have a typewriter too :) but it would be 1960's I think.
May I ask you when you hear the term 1960s does that seem in the far distant past? I was born in 1970 so it doesn’t seem very long to me

New Threads

Top Bottom