• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is the difference between an obsession and special interest?

Ruby

People would tell me that I'm obsessed with something/someone if I keep talking about it, look at photos/videos of it ect. If I can't stop thinking about a certain thing most of the time, is it an obsession?

Last edited:
When something stops us from functioning our daily life that we are supposed to do, it's an obsession. But if it's a sort of hobby we do only on our free time, it's special interest. :)

When something stops us from functioning our daily life that we are supposed to do, it's an obsession. But if it's a sort of hobby we do only on our free time, it's special interest. :)

Eh, I think that would be more addiction than obsession. But I agree, maybe not about getting in the way of functioning but special interest is only free time while an obsession would crop up in your mind at any time.

Special interest is apparently somnething anyone can have... and obsession only applies to a pathological profle I think.

It's funny how we can medicate people that have obsessive behaviour, but special interests are totally fine.

Always makes me wonder, where the line is between obsession and special interest. Is someone who has vast knowledge of stamps and collects these, obsessed with stamps? Or is it a special interest? And what if....this person actually runs a store to cater to this interest? Is he knee-deep in his special interest (or obsession)?

As Divrom said; I think there's some perspective to it.

I think that, in line with what commonly is said to be a autistic trait; obsessions and narrow interests, there's something else to consider. What if it's not that I have narrow interests, because I'm obsessed with subject X, but instead I have narrow interests, because I just don't care about a lot of other things, because I can't connect to those. Same end result, different approach. And let's face it, my brain, just like anyone elses needs to be occupied, so it makes perfect sense to focus more on the things I actually care about. It's not like I want to waste all that mental potential on "nothing" because non-interests occur as blank thoughts.

Perspective, nothing more. Perspective is everything. It is the difference between good and evil, all over the world. Obsession vs special interests pales in comparison of complexity, and so is simple to use as the element responsible for the "differences" in belief regarding them...

Although, I am not speaking about definitions. Just perceptions of the concepts

New Threads

Top Bottom