• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is the best kind of dog for an autistic person?

SL JediKnight

So I like to get a dog one day a large breed I can't have one right now cuz it where I live the top two breed I want is either I want Rottweiler or Golden Retriever I'm sure some of you might have heard the story about the autistic boy who had a Golden Retriever as a service dog almost got a dog a little while ago she was a Golden Retriever and some kind of terrier mix I wanted to keep her but my parents wouldn't let me keep her and my next door neighbor's are assholes excuse the language what other dog breed would you recommend for an autistic?

IMO there's not much of a point in considering any one breed when it comes to one's autism. There are so many other pressing considerations in owning a dog.

Starting with whether or not in the present or near future you are a renter or an owner. Renters must be completely cognizant of their landlord's policy on pets and what the financial cost and terms of a pet deposit may be. Unfortunately for better or worse, there are also statistics out there relative to dog bite claims that drive both insurers and landlords to expressly prohibit certain breeds. Be very aware of this dynamic when considering certain breeds.

Then you must consider other things, like how the do might relate to being in smaller, confined spaces or large, open spaces. Especially important considerations in terms of breeds. A herding breed dog will thrive in large open spaces. A toy breed dog will likely do much better in an apartment. Though most any dog needs to be walked regularly.

And how often would you be with a pet. Being aware of the possibility of separation anxiety. Some pets do poorly in this regard, and thrive on constant companionship. Where when you look down, your little friend is right there nearly all the time.

In the most general sense I believe the consideration of owning a smaller dog will inevitably involve fewer unknowns than owning a much larger pet. It all comes down to what kind of living considerations you can determine for your pet to thrive in, rather than suffer from.

And lastly, to be aware of what breeds have what good and bad points relative to temperament around other dogs as well as humans, and especially physiology. And veterinary cost factors. Don't assume that large dogs have longer life cycles. Investigate, read and research accordingly. You may be surprised at what dogs live longer than others.

One thing for sure, no matter what the size of a dog, most if not all will have big hearts full of unconditional love. The kind you may or may not ever sense with other human beings. In this respect any dog is a good choice for an autistic person. Be it a big, little, purebred or a rescue dog. :)

Last edited:
I'd say stay in the common pet breeds (and mixed breeds). Just about any dog will work. Stay away from strong aggressive, difficult to handle, expensive/rare, prone to medical problems, etc.

Do your homework and study the characteristics of the breeds that interest you. Most all dogs will match the description. If you get a mixed breed (and know the mix) read on both and will find they have obvious traits from both.

Be aware the larger the dog, the shorter the lifespan generally.

Mutts, that is mixes, are considered better off health wise.

Puppies will drive you out of your mind for about a month, and really not start trully settling down for 6 months.

Rescue dogs from the shelters are, all things considered, the kindest choice.

Do not take one on unless you know you can care for it for its whole life.

As the others have said, do your research into the care and temperament of ANY dog you are considering! Generally, mixed breeds have better health and more stable temperaments, but you can get a good purebred too. Breed specifications can be a good guideline, but realize that, just like humans, dogs have variable personalities and some high-strung or anxious dogs may not do well with an autistic person. You want to look for a calm, stable dog who can be helpful during challenging behavior; a dog who is not reactive, but gives love readily. Look for a "baby-sitter" personality in the dog, those make the best Service Dogs.

My retired SD is a Golden Retriever/German shepherd mix. His temperament is perfect, but his hips and general health have never been stellar. His hips caused his early retirement as a Service Dog, but he's been a SUPER SD/Emotional Support dog at home! I've noticed this particular mix make great SD personalities, but the hips always present problems. If I could breed this mix and control the hips, I'd do it in a heartbeat! My next SD puppy will probably be the same mix, but I'll budget for hip replacements in a few years. this is all stuff to think about BEFORE getting a dog!

As the others have said, do your research into the care and temperament of ANY dog you are considering! Generally, mixed breeds have better health and more stable temperaments, but you can get a good purebred too. Breed specifications can be a good guideline, but realize that, just like humans, dogs have variable personalities and some high-strung or anxious dogs may not do well with an autistic person. You want to look for a calm, stable dog who can be helpful during challenging behavior; a dog who is not reactive, but gives love readily. Look for a "baby-sitter" personality in the dog, those make the best Service Dogs.

My retired SD is a Golden Retriever/German shepherd mix. His temperament is perfect, but his hips and general health have never been stellar. His hips caused his early retirement as a Service Dog, but he's been a SUPER SD/Emotional Support dog at home! I've noticed this particular mix make great SD personalities, but the hips always present problems. If I could breed this mix and control the hips, I'd do it in a heartbeat! My next SD puppy will probably be the same mix, but I'll budget for hip replacements in a few years. this is all stuff to think about BEFORE getting a dog!
I agree!

Judge nailed it. But to throw in my two cents, I think I'll always have a guard dog because a guard dog contributes to my sense of safety and security. I have a Chow Chow right now, and it's reassuring how she's always on duty. Might get a Pit Bull next. But yeah, as it's been said consider utility before vanity, because think of how heartbreaking it would be to have to give your dog up if your living situation dictated such.

New Threads

Top Bottom