• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is the accomplishment you are most proud of?

Building a 3,152 piece Lego Super Star Destroyer a few years back..

Usually I don't have that much patience.. but Star Wars is truly something else.

Tonight I would have to say that getting both Molly and Larry to use their litter boxes all day with no accidents is what I am most proud of.

Being with the same man almost 30 years later. The longest I've stuck at anything.

Three amazing children. All grown up and making their own way in the world. Chasing their own dreams.

Being able to say I served my country. Got through the training, loved my shiny boots and immaculately pressed uniform, understood the structure and what was required of me, wore my stripes with pride, great to feel like I was part of something much bigger and didn't stand out too much.

I actually got to make a video game (and two expansions). And work with other developers in their own creation & testing process. I always wanted to do this as a kid, but my absolutely godawful school performance (which continued into college) said that I'd never actually get to do it. Well, the industry is a very different place now, and I got the chance. Without having to have a real "job". I've been a contractor for the game and expansion #1, on #2 I'm just volunteering for free as I dont actually need the money, but the developer as a whole sure does.

Now granted, in this case the process of "making" a game could also be translated to "repeatedly threaten computer with a variety of heavy objects" or "try to resist punching monitor" due to just how bloody irritating the process is, but still. So very satisfying.

Other than that, not much. I havent worked a job in probably like 9 years, and I dont do relationships.

Well, learning to travel on my own was something, I guess.

In my life, I've made a lot of resolutions and promises, and fallen short on a lot of them.

But I promised myself that, when I got married, I would treat my wife right. I have never raised my voice to her, insulted her, or even joked about insulting topics. I have kept that promise from the day I made it.

I don't feel particularly proud, due to all the horrible things I go through, but well, despite everything, I am coping living in a land that is not mine and not my language and despite having absolutely no lessons; just absorbing the language, I can get by in French. I am useless with writing in French and find it still very difficult to understand when it is spoken, but my husband, who is really, really shortfisted with compliments towards me, actually commended me for my French the other day and said that it does annoy him, because if I studied French, I would become fluient. I doubt it though, because I find it a very hard language ( when I delved deeper into English a few times in the past, I felt the same way).

So yes, I can have a conversation with French people, who often commend me for my command of French, although with GREAT disappointment, when I did a voice message for my spiritual mom, I spoke a bit of French ( she assumed that I sounded part English and part French), I played it back and was dismayed at how ENGLISH I sounded. All it was, was different words I was saying; but absolutely not sounding French and lol I was so upset and had to delete it; but in fact, it was not cringeworthy, which is a blessing.

An English woman once said on hearing me talk to a French lady. Wow, you sound amazing, Suzanne; your voice just flows and you sound so natural speaking French. I smiled and said: please, do me a favour? Do not come and live in France, because if you do, you will soon see how AWFUL I sound and she laughed.

I base this on my brother in law, who is no longer alive. Before I moved to France, he sounded French. On moving and speaking a bit, I detected a slight English accent to his voice.

OHHHH and I am actually REALLY proud of my cross stitching!

My music collection.

Being able to speak 4 languages fluently.

My financial independence - having reached my 40s without debt.

I was pulled out of school before I turned 15 because my parents thought I was wasting my time and should start work as an apprentice hairdresser.

32 years later I decided to go to university. I achieved my first HD (high distinction) for a Philosophy essay and I was the only student out of 100 to get that mark. The lecturer told the rest of the class that if they wanted to know how to write a HD essay, they should read mine. That was a pretty proud moment.

Unfortunately my mother completely destroyed my moment of glory by implying I only got the mark because the lecturer fancied me. But that's a whole other story!

Having opportunities to be involved in music again. I've joined a choir and now going to be involved with playing in a band! Performance arts is another thing I'm opening myself up to. I am also going to be a bit more ambitious by applying to begin a bachelors degree in fine art at some point soon in future.

OK, so I can't choose- all of these have helped me feel better about myself:
-Age 19, was a "freedom rider" with MLK's SCLC in 1965 in Peach County Georgia registering people to vote.
- In 1991, by myself at age 45, backpacking with scuba gear through 13 islands of Indonesia over a 2 month time period scuba diving along the way. Travelled from east to west starting in Indonesian New Guinea (Irian Jaya back then) and ending in Singapore. So was going in the opposite direction as all other travellers I met. What an incredible blast it was too!
- Quitting smoking after smoking an average of 2 packs per day for 48 years.. Never say never. I truly believed I'd go crazy if I stopped but I didn't.

New Threads

Top Bottom