• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What is Life?

Ursus Chainus

V.I.P Member
The starting point for my theories on Functional Cognitive Typology is the definition of life. Defining what life is, is critical in understanding all living things. I find this definition missing in psychology. Since psychology tells us that we are disordered, maybe we should try to understand this from a very basic level.

What is life?

what I am not asking or find uninteresting:

• What is the meaning of life? (42 of course!)
  • What does life do? (reproduction, birth death, etc.)
  • What life means to you? (struggle, joy, pleasure and pain)
  • Regular dictionary definitions of life
  • Religious or philosophical definitions (purpose of life stuff)
What I am asking:
  • A simple definition of life that covers it completely
  • Explanations of what is living and what is not living in explaining the simple definition
I would like to hear what other people think life is in one simple sentence. Then expound on that sentence.

In talking about life in a simple way, it helps us understand where we fit in this world.

I am curious if anyone else thinks of it the way I do. it should be a fun conversation :)

That's Life

That's Life (1st person)
What's life? (2nd Person)
A magazine (1st Person)
How much does it cost? (2nd Person)
A dime (1st Person)
But I only have a nickel (2nd Person)
That's life! (1st Person)

That's Life - USA

l have been studing philosophy and one philosopher states that we define by saying what it isn't. Life isn't- conceptually anything except hopefully freedom to do and be what you want.

l have been studing philosophy and one philosopher states that we define by saying what it isn't. Life isn't- conceptually anything except hopefully freedom to do and be what you want.

What isn't life?
If you were to look at a rock... would you define it as life? What about a star? What kind of "stuff" is life that is not the things that are not alive? :)

The starting point for my theories on Functional Cognitive Typology is the definition of life. Defining what life is, is critical in understanding all living things. I find this definition missing in psychology. Since psychology tells us that we are disordered, maybe we should try to understand this from a very basic level.

What is life?

What I am asking:
  • Explanations of what is living and what is not living in explaining the simple definition
I would like to hear what other people think life is in one simple sentence. Then expound on that sentence.

In talking about life in a simple way, it helps us understand where we fit in this world.

I am curious if anyone else thinks of it the way I do. it should be a fun conversation :)
A state of being that is both subjective and objective; objective in the sense that it is real, subjective in the sense that the entity that is living, (except for God, but that would bring this discussion off-topic; plus this answer is only my philosophical guess, and I'm not quoting or referring to any Catholic philosopher or theologian). experiences reality subjectively. (In other words a living entity is a subject, not an object.)

A state of being that is both subjective and objective; objective in the sense that it is real, subjective in the sense that the entity that is living, (except for God, but that would bring this discussion off-topic; plus this answer is only my philosophical guess, and I'm not quoting or referring to any Catholic philosopher or theologian). experiences reality subjectively. (In other words a living entity is a subject, not an object.)

Ok... so it is a "state of being". Must life be aware that it is alive? Must it have the ability to understand its place subjectively? Is a single celled organism alive? A single celled organism might or might not be sentient. Does sentience define life?

What is it a subject of? What does subjective mean?

Last edited:
What isn't life?
If you were to look at a rock... would you define it as life? What about a star? What kind of "stuff" is life that is not the things that are not alive? :)

l am not a rock, so therefore life is not a rock. But in life, you can be stuck in between a rock and a hard place Or you may meet in life a person with rocks for brains- this describes a few of the kitchen staff l feel. l also had to be a gray rock and learn no contact with ex in my life.

Ok... so it is a "state of being". Must life be aware that it is alive? Must it have the ability to understand its place subjectively? Is a single celled organism alive? A single celled organism might or might not be sentient. Does sentience define life?

What is it a subject of? What does subjective mean?
Not aware that it's alive or understand it's place subjectively, but rather a desire or instinct to survive or live. I'd define sentience or subjectivity as, the ability to in someway be receptive to reality and respond or interact in someway; in this case, in accord with the living creature's own desires, instinct or appetites. (to use the Catholic philosophical term, although it might be a stretch to say that plants, fungi and singled-cell organism have appetites; but they do seem to have some kind of instinct or behaviour to survive in a way.)

Not aware that it's alive or understand it's place subjectively, but rather a desire or instinct to survive or live. I'd define sentience or subjectivity as, the ability to in someway be receptive to reality and respond or interact in someway; in this case, in accord with the living creature's own desires, instinct or appetites. (to use the Catholic philosophical term, although it might be a stretch to say that plants, fungi and singled-cell organism have appetites; but they do seem to have some kind of instinct or behaviour to survive in a way.)

I believe this is excellent, even singled-cell organisms have life, which reminds me next of single male cells that seem to have less desirable instincts that they impose on female cells in my LIFE. lol

tenor.gif

Life

577286ebdd0895225b8b47a0.jpg

Not Life

hcchKkv.jpg

Not Life pretending to be Life

Sorry if this seems philosophical to you, but I question the relevance of the question to your objective. Surely 'what is sentience?' is closer to the mark, since I doubt you wish to discuss the psychology of bacteria or plants.

I'm not sure where sentience might be considered to start exactly, perhaps you could productively ask where behaviour starts? Something a bit more complex than the bare minimum required for life is what I'm trying to suggest.

A board game with more bells and whistles than what most people live with during this pandemic.

For me, life is about praising my Heavenly Creator, Jehovah, which involves, finding pleasure in things around me ie deep appreciation for the gift of life.

What is life?

What I am asking:

Usually it exchanges gases

The reason I ask these questions is not to question your responses (everybody) but to take you through my thought process. I can give you my answer for what life is but it does not explain how I came to it. I am more than appreciative that you answer! Thank you! This is an important part of the process for me (see 9) :) Some of my early definitions may be close to what you say here.

Here is how I build theoretical frameworks
1. I ask the question to myself
2. Come up with a theory
3. Do thought experiments to see if that theory is likely
4. If 3 shows the theory is unlikely... go to 2
5. If 3 shows it is likely do further thought experiments
6. If 5 shows it is likely... loop until it shows itself not to be likely then back to 2
7. If many many loops and alternate thought experiments show a theory to be very likely, start wrapping it in words.
8. Test every word definition and study the words that I wrapped around the theory (this process can take years)
9. Share it with other people and get thoughtful feedback (the hardest part)
10. Redefine as needed and if thoughtful feedback shows fallacy: go to 2

1-6 are almost entirely wordless in my brain.

l am not a rock, so therefore life is not a rock. But in life, you can be stuck in between a rock and a hard place Or you may meet in life a person with rocks for brains- this describes a few of the kitchen staff l feel. l also had to be a gray rock and learn no contact with ex in my life.

Haha... I resemble that remark! I worked in a kitchen, lol. Also the gray rock thing has happened with many many people in my life. Especially exes! I have had some doozies... my fault though for not paying attention to the deep part of me that warns me about these things.

I believe this is excellent, even singled-cell organisms have life, which reminds me next of single male cells that seem to have less desirable instincts that they impose on female cells in my LIFE. lol

Well I am sure you have the same taste in the "opposite sex" as I do... Horrible! Luckily with the theories I am trying to describe here, I found someone like me and stopped using my "taste" to find people!

Also... talking about cells:
Yeah... aging is awful as the cells "forget what they are supposed to be" I have hair growing, like, in all the wrong places now :(

Why do they have this instinct or behavior?
It is a bunch of protoplasm with an urge to replicate.
Why the urge?
That's "Chutes & Ladders..."
full

@Ursus Chainus, the nature of life/sentience is dependent on whether God exists or not. You cannot approach a reasonable approximation of the former without, first, determining the latter.
For me, life is about praising my Heavenly Creator, Jehovah, which involves, finding pleasure in things around me ie deep appreciation for the gift of life.

Well... since I cannot believe in God (this is one reason I build theoretical frameworks) can you help me understand which God must exist?

Also can bacteria praise God? if they cannot, are they life?

Usually it exchanges gases

The ocean and atmosphere exchange gases, are they life?

A board game with more bells and whistles than what most people live with during this pandemic.

I think the definition of life is much simpler than this. I can do it in one sentence :)

Again... this is not to say your beliefs or definitions are wrong. It is more about taking you through my definition. God is not part of it, so if you are religious, this definition will disappoint you :(

Would you elaberate on what you exactly mean? Sorry, not good with questions.
Well... this is simply a definition of what life is. Not really what life is for a human from our subjective experience.

The first thing is to ask a question: If Y does X is it alive? If Y does not do X, is it alive?

A rock is not life but bacteria is. Neither thing can praise God but one is living. So what makes bacteria life?

If your definition is : God created life... God created rocks too. The question is... what kind of stuff is life and how do we know it is life?

New Threads

Top Bottom