• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What inappropriate things have you said? What IS considered inappropriate?

Suzanne

V.I.P Member
Is it obvious insults, like: you look awful in that? I would tend to say: it is a great item, but perhaps is not your colour and that is ONLY if I am asked a direct question.

I think the worst I ever said was telling a guy that his shirt made him look like he had boobs... I didn't realise how bad it sounded until after I said it.

I think the worst I ever said was telling a guy that his shirt made him look like he had boobs... I didn't realise how bad it sounded until after I said it.

Ahh, I remember that I said once about my brother in law and in front of him and my husband: I make love INTELLECTUALLY with my brother in law and both of them looked at me with shock and I honestly could not figure out what I had said wrong. I did have a great time chatting with my brother in law about deep things and it was often better than intimate things; whereas my husband is not that kind of person and it was only after when it was explained that actually what I was saying was offending my husband's intellect. I tried to apologise, but sadly NT's love to harp on about things and so, I was made to really regret those words. I hasten to add that my brother in law protested, but I think secretly he loved what I said; judging on how he reacted with me generally.

Is it obvious insults, like: you look awful in that? I would tend to say: it is a great item, but perhaps is not your colour and that is ONLY if I am asked a direct question.
No! I tend to bring up sensitive subjects to people or ask too direct of questions....my ex- german friend hated that with a passion, particularly asking how do you feel questions.
I don't trust my reading of other peoples emotions so I sometimes ask too many feelings questions...it is a lose lose thing....tends to go bad either way.:(

No! I tend to bring up sensitive subjects to people or ask too direct of questions....my ex- german friend hated that with a passion, particularly asking how do you feel questions.
I don't trust my reading of other peoples emotions so I sometimes ask too many feelings questions...it is a lose lose thing....tends to go bad either way.:(

Ah yes, I guess I am "guilty" of that too.

A co-worker was telling me about this horrid death of a person (drinking and driving). He knew him and needed off to go to the funeral out of town, non-family... I guess he was overflowing on the BS meter that seems to be built in me. I had no interest in this conversation what so ever, but was trying to fake it.

Later he said, what do you think? I said I guess he won't be waking up on earth tomorrow, but with a hang over somewhere else? The guy said, "thats horrible... I just asked you if I can go to the funeral?"

So now startled, since I got caught out in no mans land (never hearing the question he asked), of course I let him go, and felt like an ass the rest of the day, and apologized profusely.

Was there a funeral? Probably not... I would bet a Benjamin on it, in a second, but I slipped and said what I thought and it wasn't kind of me at all... I stand shamed but forgiven... I think : )

I can't think of any off the top of my head. People usually laugh and say "oh I wish I could be as blunt and to the point as you". They don't mean it though.

Ambiguity is another minefield.

You say something with good intent and it's taken the opposite way.

If my wife bring up some person or other i tend to pretend verbal abuse them.

Ie 'i just saw mickey coming out of the shop yesterday'

I will say '***hole' or something worse..

I only do it if the person hasn't done anytning wrong.

As i find it funny and often quite random the way people sometimes use verbally abuse each other.
So i only do it if there is no reason to :)

So this only works in my own head but i like it :)

I am blessed with not remembering too much of the things ive said that have hurt.
Mostly accidental :)

My whole being consisted of saying things like that for a long time.

So, i guess, when i do the above I'm making fun of myself for who i used to be!

I just say too much, period. Too annoyed with myself to bring up the most recent case. But apparently I had knack for this when I was young - when I was a toddler and an aunt was bathing me, apparently she said something like "oh your little butt is so cute", and apparently I told that if she liked it so much, she should kiss it. Pow. LOL :-D

Pretty sure it is not a compliment xudo...???:confused:

Yeah, that's why I said they don't mean it. They just laugh because they don't know what else to do or say.

I think the last time I was supposedly inappropriate was when I said I don't want to hold people's babies. My two sisters in law who are pregnant were talking about someone they know who has a baby and how much they want to hold it. I said I didn't understand why it's a thing and why new parents offer for everyone to hold their babies. Like, it's yours and pretty delicate so maybe don't go offering it round to everyone? And why do people want to hold other people's babies anyway?

There were colleagues getting into their uniforms and storing personal items in their lockers at work just before starting a shift. I was walking into that locker room to do exactly the same thing. I pushed the door open and immediately blurted "Jesus !! who stinks?"

The smell of Body odour was overpowering (to my nostrils anyway) I meant to think the question, just like I suspect every one else in that room was.

Doh !!

:)

I was half listening to a colleague one time describing her latest dietry fad. This lady was quite a large lady. How little she professed to eat compared with how much she appeared to be growing (sideways) just didn't add up, and she appeared to be genuinely unhappy about how much weight she always seemed to gain

It was only when I happened to be two people behind her in a checkout queue and looked at what she was actually loading onto the checkout belt did it become a 'lightbulb' moment (for me anyway) Lots of saturated fats and carbs.

She happened to glance at the queue behind her and noticed me. In that split second of recognition and feeling obliged to say something in greeting, what I meant to say was "Hello"
What I actually said was "That's why you're fat"

Doh !!

Last edited:
I worked at MAC cosmetics for some time and can say that my customers sincerely liked me at did my amazing Co workers.
Sometimes, in general random things fly out of my mouth which are...well, amusing to me and others for the most part. I mean to say, thankfully it doesn't upset anyone. I hear, "Briana, you're crazy" often.
It happened at work one day and since then I've wondered if this occurs more frequently than I'm aware.
A customer requested a discontinued lip liner. Her question was, "why would they discontinue my liner?"
My response was, "Maybe because God hates you."
What?
The customer laughed and we moved right along.
My boss was right there and after she asked me back to tell me what is said and laugh but still, what? I'd never equated such a thing before.
I know in that moment I had that option to say something about the mineral in nature being scarce blahblahblah and it sounded lame in my head- then the hate thing manifested itself.
I do feel like questions require answers. Strongly. No clue why.
Occasionally I'll make up stories to questions no one can answer since I can't comprehend that you expect an answer. Like a "why is the sky blue?"question. Usually, we've been over this already and you seem to not be accepting the real reason.
I usually tell them I'm joking straight away but if we're in conversation there might not be time for that and I'll forget. If It's brought up in future I'm generally shocked that they ran with my ridiculous answer and I'm totally amused.
I'm kind of a jerk apparently. Heeheehee.

There were colleagues getting into their uniforms and storing personal items in their lockers at work just before starting a shift. I was walking into that locker room to do exactly the same thing. I pushed the door open and immediately blurted "Jesus !! who stinks?"

The smell of Body odour was overpowering (to my nostrils anyway) I meant to think the question, just like I suspect every one else in that room was.

Doh !!

:)

Similar to a 'temporary smell situation' where a customary 'was that you?' Is vigorously denied by everybody.
It is also 'soon passed' ie socially forgiveable to say.

Yet the magical moment you burst in with 'you smell' was simultaneously glorious yet unrecoverable. :)

('Thats why you're fat' was an equally brilliant wish i was behind that person i the queue kind of moment)

The only thing i can think right now of is just telling my parents i'm not interested in talking to them, which they seemed to take as an insult. Stuff like that has happened before too, i don't get why people start laughing or get mad though when i'm just telling the truth.

Once I asked a girl if she had had her wisdom teeth removed, because she her face looked swollen... and it turned out that she just had gotten fat !:oops::eek:

A friend once sarcastically dared me to punch them in the face. I missed the sarcasm part and punched them. Luckily, I have some really understanding friends.

New Threads

Top Bottom