1. Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What if the War of the Worlds actually happened, and how would the aftermath change history?

Discussion in 'Politics Discussion' started by AGXStarseed, Aug 13, 2019.

1. AGXStarseed

AGXStarseed Well-Known Member

(The reason I've put this in politics is firstly because the original novel was a commentary not only on Victorian fears, prejudices and superstitions but also on the theory of evolution and British Imperialism - with Wells stating the idea of Martians invading Britain and defeating the British forces so easily was after a discussion with his brother Frank about the catastrophic impact of the British on indigenous Tasmanians. Secondly, since this is discussing a "what-if?" scenario that involves the entire world, the chances are political discussions will pop up sooner or later).

In the novel The War of the Worlds by H.G.Wells, the story is told from the perspective of a narrator who talks about Martians landing in Britain and going on the attack in their massive three-legged "Fighting Machines" - all armed with a deadly "black smoke" chemical weapon and a powerful heat ray. After the Martians take over following a rapid and successful conquest of London, the story shows the Narrator trying to survive as the Martians begin creating other machines to do what they need to do (such as the Handling machine and the Flying machine) and as Red Weed engulfs the land.

While the story ultimately has a happier ending
    as the Martians succumb to Earth's bacteria due to having no immunity to it, the narrator reunites with his wife and Britain's allies come to help following the end of the war to help rebuild England - which eventually returns to some level of normality
    , it does raise the question of what would happen afterwards?
    There's been a few works that try to answer this in their own ways, but I'm curious as to what you guys think would happen next if such an event truly occurred in the past.

Sticking purely to the novel, the War of the Worlds takes place entirely in England. Since no official date is given other than the events taking place in the "last years of the 19th century", let's say the events took place in June 1895.
    Moving on from then, how do you think the world would change in the aftermath of the war up to the current year?
    Would the first/second world wars still happen? How would Britain's empire along with its relations to the rest of the world change for better/worse? What major discoveries/achievements that took place between 1895 and 2019 would still occur and which wouldn't?

Be aware that this is all opinion based and there's no correct answers, especially as history has shown us that it could swing in almost any direction for better/worse.
    There's only a few rules regarding this discussion:

1. This is strictly war of the worlds related - no other H.G.Wells properties so no time machine, no "food of the gods", no cavorite, etc.

2. The Martians never return to Earth during the 1895-2019 time period.

(My idea for this discussion is due to us getting two new War of the Worlds TV adaptations this year - one from Fox (assuming Disney hasn't cancelled it) and one from the BBC).

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
  2. Wolf Prince

Wolf Prince My future job title.

They had one made for world war one as well. Though i cant remember if it was the AE chanbel or PBS.

3. Judge

Judge Well-Known Member V.I.P Member

An interesting thought.

Had the world at the turn of the century nearly been destroyed by superior extra-terrestrial technology, would that have served as a catalyst to bring all those voraciously imperialistic powers to come together and cease attempting to expand their borders?

For all the petty squabbles of Earthlings, could they all finally come together to defeat a common enemy? And if so, could they sustain a new and lasting peace?

But then I recall towards the end of the film "55 Days at Peking" with David Niven and Charlton Heston pondering something similar. Maybe unifying for a mere 55 days is all humanity may be capable of. :oops:

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  4. Wolf Prince

That was a good movie. Lots of action.

5. AGXStarseed

Ah, you mean "The Great Martian War 1913 - 1917"?

I've heard about that; not got around to watching it yet.
    The only other two programs I can remember that went into a "what happened next" scenario was firstly the 1980s TV series that followed the 1953 film.

The second was the animated film War of the Worlds: Goliath, which showed the first Martian invasion been global instead of limited to just England and happening in 1899, before moving forward to 1914; humanity having adapted Martian Technology into new vehicles/weaponry to combat the Martians while setting up a global organization called the Allied Resistance Earth Squadron (A.R.E.S) to unite soldiers from around the globe to combat the inevitable second invasion.
    In that film however, it still shows the First World War threaten to break out despite the first Martian invasion.

In regards to this discussion, I'm asking how you think history would change - based on the aftermath of the Martian's attack on England in the novel.

6. AGXStarseed

Well it's just England in the novel's case, but I do like your train of thought.
    In the case of the novel, Britain and its empire now having access to superior technology - not just the deadly heat rays and black smoke, but the power sources behind the Tripods and their weapons, the rapidly-growing Red Weed potentially been used as a new fuel supply to replace coal and oil and humanity gaining not only vehicles with flight capability years before the Wright Brothers but super (possibly hyper) sonic flight capability as well - how would that alter the world for better/worse?

I doubt humanity would be united together for the long haul; like with all (or almost all) animals, I think it's in our nature to compete with one another and while we may join up when our interests align, I think as well that we're too willing to hold onto the injustices of the past - even if there's nothing to gain from them.
    Changing something instinctive is either pretty tricky or outright impossible, depending on who you ask.

I'm reminded a bit of a story I got told at school when I was a kid, where a group of wilderbeast learn a tactic that involves them all working together to prevent a lion from attacking the young/weak/sick members of the herd by having the stronger herd members all in a circle with the weaker herd members in the middle - the lion not willing to go head to head with a healthy wilderbeast.
    However, the herd begin to bicker amongst themselves afterwards over who did the best - which divides the herd and again leaves them open for the lion to kill one of their young.
    (The story having the moral of "united we stand, divided we fall").

7. Wolf Prince

To many ways really. Aside from the tech involved. Theres who lives and dies. Who makes this choice or that choice. Even the situations would be constantly changing as would humanies. Future. Assuming anyone survives the world would never be the.same.
    And yes thats the show i was talkong about.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  8. Xerces Blue

Xerces Blue Evil Overload

Honestly most space invasion stories are full of plot holes and things that don't make sense.
    There isn't any reason to invade a planet.
    Want it's lifeforms - collect DNA samples and clone them as much as you want.
    want their mineral resources - you'll find just as much in the asteroids as on the planet and if you have Starships (craft able to go from star to star) asteroids will be easier, cost less and are all over the place.
    Bio-mass? carbon, hydrogen and oxygen, the first 2 are the some of the most common in the universe.
    for the oxygen just grab a comet.

9. AGXStarseed

I think the Jeff Wayne version of the story tried to rectify this by involving an introduction from the Martian's point of view, with it been shown that their invasion of Earth was done out of necessity and desperation.
    (Give the video a minute to load up, it's a bit slow on this website):
    Jeff Wayne's Musical Version of the War of the Worlds - The New Generation: "The Prequel"

10. Streetwise

Streetwise very cautious contributor

eat all humans, no humans left ,leave ,no human history after that ,Some humans left ,depends on their capacity to adapt.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  11. AGXStarseed

Well in the Jeff Wayne's War of the Worlds PC game, if the Martians win they eventually come across a fully-established underground human city - said to be the same one that the Artilleryman sings about building in the musical:

The Song:

The Martian Ending (Underground City Discovered) -3:20 onward:

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019