• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Helps You Relax?

rach3rd

For me it is music. I love the piano pieces of French composer Claude Debussy. The colours he evokes by using parallel chords and pentatonic and whole-tone scales has always impressed me greatly. During the pandemic I learned a couple of his pieces. Here is one I enjoyed playing and recording. It is called "Serenade for the Doll" from the Children's Corner suite. I added some paintings to enhance it. I hope you like it and that it helps you relax.

Last edited:
Orange spice tea helps me relax, especially the really spicy kind I get from the farmer's market.

Exercise helps me relax, as well. Not while exercising, mind you, but it does release excess energy and leaves me feeling ready to just chill out after I shower and get back home from weight training. I also feel like I earned the right to veg out after an intense workout, so it leaves me feeling less guilty about doing nothing for a while.

Reading scientific journals on a wide variety of topics. I love Google Scholar and PubMed.

But, immediately I want to incorporate this knowledge into something practical,...and most of it won't be put into practice for another 10-20 years, much to my frustration. It's a strange feeling having an encyclopedia library of knowledge in my head and everyone around me (1) doesn't care (2) doesn't like change (3) lives in the now, and (4) looks at me strange for even bringing it up.

I am fairly low key and laid back mostly. I rarely need any help with that. Getting motivated can be more of an issue. And focussing in an ongoing way. I'd like to get more done sometimes.

Great music, thanks!

Working out. I am going to hit the gym hard now. My hand held massager by homedic. A hot shower feels great. Talking to my special guy in another state helps a lot.

Working out. I am going to hit the gym hard now. My hand held massager by homedic. A hot shower feels great. Talking to my special guy in another state helps a lot.

In my younger days there were two things that I really liked to do. Golf and ride dirt bikes. Golf is played at place that is quiet and looks nice, in short, a very relaxing place. However, I used to leave the golf course wanting to pull my hair out. Hardly relaxing. When I was riding, I rode hard, fast and off road. To keep from getting hurt, this required my complete attention. When I was done, I felt very tired and relaxed. These days my wife will not allow anything faster than a golf cart. No more motorcycles. At least I have learned not to get so upset on the golf course.

Bicycling, reading, listening to some records on the windup phonograph or to the classical station on the radio--

Playing the reed organ

Shooting (specifically shotgunning. Unfortunately I don't live near anywhere good for shooting right now & so I didn't bring my shotgun.)

Sewing

Anything

Finding peace & quiet

Drinking tea

Mowing the yard or ride my motorcycle. I'm came across a study a little while back that said motorcycle riding is very therapeutic for us on the spectrum who can. Something about how it requires so much brain power and engages all the senses in a way that is relaxing for the autistic mind rather than over stimulating as you would expect.

Walks & hikes, slow runs & other workouts.

Reading.

Learning and talking about abstract math with a person who knows it.

Cooking - as long as there’s no time pressure.

Mixing and categorizing results of watercolors, oils, & acrylics.

Cat purring in my ear.

@rach3rd
For about a year straight in my teens, I would listen to Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto to relax.

I found it an amazing coincidence that in my country with its tiny population — there was a concert coming up in a nearby city where they played this piece. It was like everything fell into place, and it was such a meaningful experience for me to go along because this piece helped me get through a very intense depression.

I'm guessing you enjoy his 3rd Piano Concerto from your username?

I also love Debussy, I think my favourite two pieces are Rêverie and Arabesque No. 1. Thanks for bringing my attention to another lovely piece I hadn't heard.

@rach3rd
For about a year straight in my teens, I would listen to Rachmaninoff's 2nd Piano Concerto to relax.
i'm working on the Rach. 2nd Piano Concerto at the moment. I have learned the first movement already and am now working on the 3rd movement. I'm saving the 2nd movement for last.

i'm working on the Rach. 2nd Piano Concerto at the moment. I have learned the first movement already and am now working on the 3rd movement. I'm saving the 2nd movement for last.

Oh awesome! If you ever get the chance to record it once you've finished learning, I would so very much love to listen. It's such a wonderful piece, all the best with it :)

Reading scientific journals on a wide variety of topics. I love Google Scholar and PubMed.

But, immediately I want to incorporate this knowledge into something practical,...and most of it won't be put into practice for another 10-20 years, much to my frustration. It's a strange feeling having an encyclopedia library of knowledge in my head and everyone around me (1) doesn't care (2) doesn't like change (3) lives in the now, and (4) looks at me strange for even bringing it up.

It seems we have this in common. I suppose people look at me as strange also.

New Threads

Top Bottom