• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What have you studied?

Canismajoris

Hypergiant
Just wondering: what have you studied? How did it go? How long it took? Did you graduate?

I find this interesting as some ASD people are good in school and others not.

I personally am pretty good as long as I am motivated. If not... the exact opposite.

Personally am Bachelor of Arts (cinema to be more precise). Had some serious problems (one of my teacher bullied me but got then suspended as he was stupid enough to also bully my other teacher). The school took 4,5 years.

Now I am studying Master’s degree in communications! (Oh the irony!!!) xD It will take 1.5-2 years more assuming I have the energy to graduate from the school.

some ASD people are good in school and others not
So true. I wish I could be better but I'm in an 'I can do it but it's going to take me three times as long as anyone else' camp.

what have you studied? How did it go? How long it took? Did you graduate?
Many, many things. Sometimes as part of degrees or actual courses, and of course a lot of self-directed study of things that interest me. I've begun three degrees. One I left because it showed itself to be entirely unsuitable for me. One I was unable to continue after I moved interstate. Another I hope to finish soon...in the next year (i.e graduate - yay!). In terms of subjects I've studied from the medical/nursing field, through to specific interests in the arts, to psychology.

Problems I have encountered...I find the pressure of focusing on study quite hard over the medium to long term. I seem to need 'breaks' which drags out my study. Also, any health issues, anxiety can really affect study. I'm sure I won't be the only one on here describing that issue.

Had some serious problems (one of my teacher bullied me but got then suspended as he was stupid enough to also bully my other teacher).
I'm really sorry you were bullied. I suppose you can take heart that that person did themselves in in the end. Often they walk away free. But it shouldn't happen in the first place.

Master’s degree in communications! (Oh the irony!!!)
Hehe. But, seriously, that's cool. I wish you the best of luck in your studies and to me it makes sense. Plenty of those on the spectrum find writing easier for example.

Engineering. Got my associate's degree in 2 1/2 years then got out. It was easier than high school because most of it was specialized in what I was already good at. I was pretty much cut out to do one thing, at least for a job.

I find the pressure of focusing on study quite hard over the medium to long term. I seem to need 'breaks' which drags out my study. Also, any health issues, anxiety can really affect study.
I feel you! I actually suffered frequent panic attacks while studying arts. It was not helping at all. From anxiety I think I have suffered as long as I can remember. One of the reasons for panic attacs was that I started to drink too much to help my anxiety. Sure there was social pressure too and alcohol helped me to be more social. Then I went to doctor and told the situation: they said that they can subsribe something for the PA, but that it would be better if I start to excercise and quit drinking. Did those and soon felt better - atleast with PA. Anxiety never went totally away.

I think I'm in a similar situation with coffee and anxiety. It's not that the coffee causes it, it just doesn't make it better, it makes the experience worse. So, right now I'm weaning myself off coffee - AGAIN. :p

It was great that you took the Drs advice and found it improved things.

In an academic sense - not much. I'm an autodidact. Great at learning but terrible in classes and no desire to have letters after my name. I've met far too many fools, plodders and derivative dullards with PhDs to have much respect for certificates. That's not to say I don't know some brilliant ones too, but qualifications don't impress me which is why I guess I could never be bothered to torture myself enough to get one ;)

I'm really sorry you were bullied. I suppose you can take heart that that person did themselves in in the end. Often they walk away free. But it shouldn't happen in the first place.
I 100% agree. But I have been bullied so many times that I actually did not realize it that soon. But when it got like so bad that even my classmates were rolling their eyes I understood that OK, now we are way over what is OK.

Plenty of those on the spectrum find writing easier for example.
Thank you and so I have read. English is not my native language so please forgive that I might not sound like on master’s level with words;)

Another I hope to finish soon...in the next year (i.e graduate - yay!).
Graz! So you are becoming a psychologist or? :)

I was pretty much cut out to do one thing, at least for a job.
Great! I also studied engineering after high school for two years but never graduated. During that time it was too hard for me to sit still and listen. That is why art school worked better.

Have you been able to work in the field you studied?

I 100% agree. But I have been bullied so many times that I actually did not realize it that soon. But when it got like so bad that even my classmates were rolling their eyes I understood that OK, now we are way over what is OK.

Thank you and so I have read. English is not my native language so please forgive that I might not sound like on master’s level with words;)

Graz! So you are becoming a psychologist or? :)

Re the bullying thing. Why are some people so hideous to others?! No answer required. But it just blows my mind.

I had noticed nothing whatsoever that suggested English was not your first language :)

Re. being a psychologist, no.
As far as I can tell I won't be going into a career. Even though I'm older it would still be possible if I really wanted it. But for me I realise it's not possible. It would be too much for me, unless I found the most perfect niche position for myself :p

And this is the reason why I drink coffee only in mornings and rarely after lunch. It is really strong stimulant. :O I remember reading that if it would be invented now it would be illegal substance!
That's funny because I joke all the time about coffee being like hard drugs to me. I give it up but it sneaks back into my life because, well, I love it, I want it. Tea is more manageable because I can have several cups a day without the full on effects.
I have never been able to drink coffee after 3 pm without being awake through the night. Yup, it's strong.

'What have you studied? How did it go? How long it took? Did you graduate?'

I have studied Interior Design, Early Childhood Education, Music and Visual Arts. I earned degrees in Interior Design and Early Childhood Education. Like you, it took me longer to finish my education in both fields of study. An additional 18 months, to earn my Degree in Design, and, an additional year, for ECE. I had wanted to study Architecture, but, I have a learning disability that stood in the way of acceptance into architecture school.

All the best to you and Rectify, with your current studies!

Thank you @Loren and well done for completing two degrees - and being able to study other things of interest to you.
Thank you, Rectify! Well done for studying various things of interest to you, as well, and for your upcoming graduation!

Last edited:
Great! I also studied engineering after high school for two years but never graduated. During that time it was too hard for me to sit still and listen. That is why art school worked better.

Have you been able to work in the field you studied?

Yes I kept my college internship job in an engineering office for a couple years but it was in the city and I didn't want to stay there. So I got an engineering job up in the quiet north and have been there over 20 years. To get the job it did help having my dad pretty much know everybody in the local industry, but my skills are why I was able to keep the job. And by now they have learned my strong points and my weak points so they know what tasks to give me. They know better than to send me on the road or even deal much with customers at all.

I have two degrees, AAS in computer technology networking option and AST in maintenance electricity. If I had the time I would go back and get one in hvac or welding.

Thank you so much. But for clarity, if things go as planned, I still won't actually graduate until early 2021.
I see. I hope the rest of the journey 'goes as planned', and 2021 is here before you know it! : )

Last edited:
Just wondering: what have you studied? How did it go? How long it took? Did you graduate?

I find this interesting as some ASD people are good in school and others not.

I personally am pretty good as long as I am motivated. If not... the exact opposite.

Personally am Bachelor of Arts (cinema to be more precise). Had some serious problems (one of my teacher bullied me but got then suspended as he was stupid enough to also bully my other teacher). The school took 4,5 years.

Now I am studying Master’s degree in communications! (Oh the irony!!!) xD It will take 1.5-2 years more assuming I have the energy to graduate from the school.
I studied geology (Bachelor of Science) with side tracks into chemistry, physics, and engineering. Hardly ever studied, just skimmed notes before a test. Did not attend graduate school due to having to make a living, and I had trouble with the social aspects of academic life. In essence, I passed all my classes but failed human interaction.

This was followed by a marginally successful career which got less successful as time went on, until I was unable to find work due to age discrimination. At which point I discovered I was autistic and retired.

A Bachelor's in Piano Performance and I just started a Master's in Social Work. The Bachelor's took me eight years and was filled with extremes of every emotion, ridiculous amounts of alcohol and drugs, and, contributed to by those two things, extremely volatile relationships.

8 years of madness! :eek:

Now things are calm. :)

New Threads

Top Bottom