• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What does the word 'hope' mean to you?

What does hope mean to you?

• Not letting yourself give up

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • Waiting for something to change of its own accord

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Having faith that a higher power will make a change

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

AspieWatchmaker

V.I.P Member
It has come to my attention that the word hope seems to mean different things to different people. Perhaps there is correlation with religousity. To me it is a word that does not enter my vocabulary very often, but when it does I simply mean that the other person (or myself) should not give up. Sometimes in talking to people they take it to mean something akin to giving up, but without telling yourself to give up. Or that you should do nothing and wait to see if something external improves your situation.

This word seems to be religiously charged to a lot of people. Tell us what the word means to you, and if you are comfortable sharing, where you fall on the 'religious spectrum'.

My 'RS' score: 2/10

P.S.: mods feel free to move this thread somewhere else, I wasn't sure where to put it.

Hope? To me it means nebulous possibilities without any promises. No more, no less.

Without any particular religious connotations.

Hope, to me means that even when I do not feel successful, or am told I am not good enough at 'whatever' - it is right and good to continue to strive with out falling into negativity.

No religious connotations.

Hope: a feeling of expectation and desire for a certain thing to happen.
Christian Hope: a confidence that something will come to pass because God has promised it will come to pass.

As a connoisseur of the English language and a Christian, I'm good with both definitions. Which one I use depends on the context.

None of the above.

To me hope is, first and foremost, a feeling/emotion.....and I can't explain that. (I can say, though, that for me, there is little/no expectation in it -- it is much more like wishing than expecting.)

But, there is a cognitive aspect to it that maybe I can explain......there is a type of thought/knowledge/belief that can (does not always, though) produce hope -- it is necessary to produce hope, actually -- which is just seeing/knowing/believing that things might happen, might be, or might work out the way I'd like them to happen/be/work out.

It has come to my attention that the word hope seems to mean different things to different people. Perhaps there is correlation with religousity. To me it is a word that does not enter my vocabulary very often, but when it does I simply mean that the other person (or myself) should not give up. Sometimes in talking to people they take it to mean something akin to giving up, but without telling yourself to give up. Or that you should do nothing and wait to see if something external improves your situation.

This word seems to be religiously charged to a lot of people. Tell us what the word means to you, and if you are comfortable sharing, where you fall on the 'religious spectrum'.

My 'RS' score: 2/10

P.S.: mods feel free to move this thread somewhere else, I wasn't sure where to put it.
Partly that whatever is wrong will stop and also that the faith I have Will stop it

For me, hope is a possibility. A potential way out. You're not stuck yet.

It's also a feeling. You may not feel it every day but when you become hopeless, you can see the difference immediately. Wouldn't wish it on others.

Hope doesn't have to be religious. To me it means the belief that things can get better someday, so you're not going to give up. It isn't mutually exclusive with trying actively to make things better, either. In fact, hope that things will improve is often required in order to keep trying.

Nothing at all to do with faith in a deity or a religion.

More to do with a faith or belief in myself.
I know I have the capability to make small changes in my perception and believe they'll be positive changes.

For me, hope is something I would like to happen or something I want which suggests change. A change to what is currently happening.

An idea that my own or anothers future will be different in some small way for the better.

I hope an exam is passed.
I hope recovery runs smoothly and someone is feeling better soon.
I hope someone has a great morning.

And in my darkest moments, I hope I find an answer or direction to follow in my thoughts soon because where I am is extremely unpleasant.
I know I will, I always have but a little hope that I can bring it about sooner rather than later never hurts.

New Threads

Top Bottom