• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What do you think of Antipsychotic drugs?

ftfipps

I have been prescribed antipsychotic drugs on and off since I was about 14. I have read some troubling things about it causing high blood sugar which would lead to diabetes and changing brain function. I will say this, my agitation was at 100% before I started taking it. Now it is about at 20%, I can actually go outside my front door and go to the mailbox without any paranoid feeling. Before I started back on the med I would start ranting about angry subjects to my family members like ever night. I thought it was going to put my relationship with loved ones in jeopardy. Now, I'm like a different person. Is there a way to be unmedicated and keep my paranoia at bay? Any natural remedies or cleaner drugs you have had experience with?

They can have some nasty side effects which can be permanent.
But, if that's what it takes to be more functional and less miserable there may be no alternative.
True psychotic illness such as Schizophrenia, bi-polar, chronic endogenous unipolar are all imbalances
of various brain transmitter chemicals.
The antipsychotics are meant to balance them out.

You might try asking a holistic psychiatrist and doing some studies yourself on natural ways to treat
whatever type of imbalance you have. It's a place to start.

I’m currently on antipsychotics (Quetiapine), pretty low dosage as it’s mostly meant to help me sleep. The adjustment period sucked - I was a walking snack attack full of rage - but after two weeks that settled down. I felt more calm, I slept more, and the food cravings were gone. I did feel a little empty and/or numb, especially in the mornings. And my sleep became increasingly restless.
I recently halved my dosage to help with the daytime drowsiness and the restless nights. I’m pleased so far, although feeling more emotions again is a little scary too.

I have been prescribed antipsychotic drugs on and off since I was about 14. I have read some troubling things about it causing high blood sugar which would lead to diabetes and changing brain function. I will say this, my agitation was at 100% before I started taking it. Now it is about at 20%, I can actually go outside my front door and go to the mailbox without any paranoid feeling. Before I started back on the med I would start ranting about angry subjects to my family members like ever night. I thought it was going to put my relationship with loved ones in jeopardy. Now, I'm like a different person. Is there a way to be unmedicated and keep my paranoia at bay? Any natural remedies or cleaner drugs you have had experience with?
Hi, Good on you for looking for alternatives. I'm only recently diagnosed but yes I really related to what you sais about fearing you are jeopardizing some relationships. I too have high aggitation at times and posted recently asking for support. Have been trying codeine and an antihistamine too, but have read about cbd oil (or industrial Hemp oil) both from cannabis, and a member here also suggested it in large doses for those highly irritated moments . Well I found some and am trialling it just tonight. It seems quite incredible from what I have read in regard to helping our community with anxiety,aggression etc. It's a natural anti phycotic, anti depressant. Research on different products is essential as well as iys legality and availability in your area. I had just 3 drops under tongue and it chilled me out pretty quickly. I hope it works when I really need it!

Atypical antipsychotics tend to have less side effects than traditional antipsychotics. I currently take Geodon. It really helps, haven't found anything natural that's a good substitute.

I take it that you suffer from schizophrenia and I wish that on nobody. There was a study done by a psychiatrist whom claims to have healed a patient through intense psychotherapy over a period of several years. I wish I could remember the doctor that conducted the study and I haven't been able to find anything on Google. There may be natural remedies but you would want to talk to an ND (natureopathic doctor.) I really wish I had some more information to give you. :-(

Maybe you could talk to your doctor about an atypical anti-psychotic like Seroquel. Seroquel can lead to increased appetite so you have to be careful. For a while I was on Seroquel for sleep and I think it was a contributor to my diabetes. I noticed that since being off of Seroquel, my blood sugars are looking much better but once you become a T2 diabetic, it becomes a lifelong affliction.

Meds are often a trade off. You exchange some problem for some new ones (side effects). The guideline for doctors is: is the new situation better for the patient then the old. But this is often hard to determine and the patient should have a lot of input in the decision making.

There are alot of healthy alternatives in the means getting proper nutrition such as:
- All B Vitamins (also aids with anxiety)
- Omega 3&6
- St.Johns wort ( anxiety)
- Lion's Mane Mushroom ( heals myelin)
There are loads of studies with this info
Nutritional interventions for the adjunctive treatment of schizophrenia: a brief review | Nutrition Journal | Full Text

Anti-psychotic's deteriorate your brain and will only worsen the symptoms.
After i changed my diet my anxiety and depression drastically shifted.
Good luck!

I tried an anti-psychotic once and it gave me tremors and made me exhausted all the time, and I got in a minor car accident. 'Twas Abilify! Now I take Lithium.

I hate them. I hate all drugs. But I don't think herbal remedies are very effective and alternative medicine is pseudoscience. So if you have a condition that requires drugs to be treated, you're screwed no matter what.

One of the medications I have to take has "brain shocks" as one of the withdrawal symptoms. Shakes, sweats, spasms and projectile vomiting is terrifying enough, but seriously - brain SHOCKS? Did I get Dr. Frankenstein for a psychiatrist?:fearful:

I hate them. I hate all drugs. But I don't think herbal remedies are very effective and alternative medicine is pseudoscience. So if you have a condition that requires drugs to be treated, you're screwed no matter what.

One of the medications I have to take has "brain shocks" as one of the withdrawal symptoms. Shakes, sweats, spasms and projectile vomiting is terrifying enough, but seriously - brain SHOCKS? Did I get Dr. Frankenstein for a psychiatrist?:fearful:

The first paragraph is silly and shouldn't be said to people in case anyone is susceptible to such silliness. And how can you "have to" take a medication without living in a hospital?

Type 2 diabetes is not a lifelong affliction and can be quickly reversed on a whole food plant based diet. My HbA1c went from 7.1 to 5.9. It can happen within a month for some people. Plenty on it with a search.

I am also on Clonidine. I tried to stop taking it and then I read about a rebound effect causing high blood pressure after cessation. My heartbeat was visible in my eyeballs my blood pressure was so high. Regarding the atypical antipsychotics, I have read more about it, apparently they caused death of grey matter in brains of monkeys. I have to take it because of my paranoia. I know several people who have taken them for years and they are fine.

I tried an anti-psychotic once and it gave me tremors and made me exhausted all the time, and I got in a minor car accident. 'Twas Abilify! Now I take Lithium.

I took the next generation of Abilify for a while. It is marketed under the name Rexulti. I have read It is essentially Abilify sans the side effects. It had anti-depressant properties. I was very happy, almost giddy while I was on it. I didn't gain weight like I have while on Risperidone.

Hi, Good on you for looking for alternatives. I'm only recently diagnosed but yes I really related to what you sais about fearing you are jeopardizing some relationships. I too have high aggitation at times and posted recently asking for support. Have been trying codeine and an antihistamine too, but have read about cbd oil (or industrial Hemp oil) both from cannabis, and a member here also suggested it in large doses for those highly irritated moments . Well I found some and am trialling it just tonight. It seems quite incredible from what I have read in regard to helping our community with anxiety,aggression etc. It's a natural anti phycotic, anti depressant. Research on different products is essential as well as iys legality and availability in your area. I had just 3 drops under tongue and it chilled me out pretty quickly. I hope it works when I really need it!

Yes! Cannabinoids have natural anti-psychotics in them. I don't enjoy cannabis very much but I would try cbd oil in a heartbeat.

About 18 months after I was diagnosed Aspie, they put me on a tablet called Tegrotol Retard, I hated it because it had side effects of making me even more dozy than normal, even worse I objected to the R word because I was getting repeatedly called THAT word online at the time.

About 18 months after I was diagnosed Aspie, they put me on a tablet called Tegrotol Retard, I hated it because it had side effects of making me even more dozy than normal, even worse I objected to the R word because I was getting repeatedly called THAT word online at the time.
The Retard in that medications name just means it’s a slow release tablet though, it’s not meant to be offensive.

Yes! Cannabinoids have natural anti-psychotics in them. I don't enjoy cannabis very much but I would try cbd oil in a heartbeat.
Hi, I have been experimenting with the dosage since last Post, and yesterday had a high irritation period so it was a good opportunity to self observe and monitor my behaviours. I had been trying to gradually increase it over an hour period until hopefully hitting the right amount, but I wasn't able to curb my most severe behavior. Next time I will try the maximum amount in one dose and hope it works. I really don't want to do take prescription meds but these behaviours have to stop if I want to treat people with respect to the deserve and build healthy relationships. It would be perfect if this natural alternative is as strong as It needs to be for this purpose. It is difficult to get the info on correct doseage as the bottle is not labelled as cbd, but industrial Hemp oil, so that it can be accessed by people. I was assured that it is the same thing. If anyone here knows about dosage it would be great to know.

The first paragraph is silly and shouldn't be said to people in case anyone is susceptible to such silliness. And how can you "have to" take a medication without living in a hospital?
Thank for trivializing my fears. If you had been up on as many different meds as I have and suffered through all kinds of debilitating side effects like I did, maybe you'd see it differently.:rage:

New Threads

Top Bottom