• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What do you think about these autistic characters?

fashwash

I was wondering what other autistic people's opinions are on some characters who are autistic (or who people have said are autistic).

Sheldon - Big Bang Theory

Music - Sia's Music

Crash Bandicoot - DEATH BATTLE Spyro vs Crash (THIS ONE IS MOSTLY FOR FUN)

The only one of these I've seen is Sheldon/Young Sheldon and I think he represents more of a self-important, spoiled rich brat than someone on the spectrum. IMO a terrible example.

Mayim Bialik (Amy Farah Fowler) with a Ph.D in neuroscience has stated before that if anything, Sheldon Cooper's traits and behaviors seem to focus far more on OCD than autism.

Meanwhile the writers of show (Chuck Lorre and Bill Prady) seemed to always skate around the idea of being specific of them in any neurological sense.

If anything I see Sheldon Cooper as a composite character with no behavioral specifics. Neurologically an amateur creation of a fictional character by non-medical professionals.

Lest we forget "Rain Man". A fictional character based primarily on Kim Peeks, who was not autistic.

Last edited:
The only one of these I've seen is Sheldon/Young Sheldon and I think he represents more of a self-important, spoiled rich brat than someone on the spectrum. IMO a terrible example.
I don't like Sheldon much either, even if autist's like him exist his autistic traits are played up to a very large degree mostly for comedy. I think most jokes are fine at certain doses. And having a character like that be one of your main ones creates a stereotype that is damaging to autistic people who are not like that and really just damaging to autistic people in general. The Savant Genius Autist stereotype.

The Savant Genius Autist stereotype.
Portraying so many fictional characters as savants and associating them with autism remains a problem. Creating yet another Hollywood stereotype that isn't helpful to the autistic community at large.

The whole savant factor is the one aspect of the tv series "The Good Doctor" that I do not like. But I suspect that behind closed doors it's probably something considered to appeal to an NT audience. An entertainment gimmick and little else.

Personally I want to be acknowledged for simply being different. - But not "special". :rolleyes:

When I first saw the show, I thought it was childish, and the realized Sheldon was a caricature of my older brother. my wife saw me watching the show loved the humor, realized it's my family us four brothers, she looks like Penny, I sort of act like Leonard, I don't think I'm as funny as him. she loves the show. for me the humour is juvenile

I hope it's okay to bring this up but Sheldon Cooper is a disaster of a character & does nothing but make autistic people look bad.

I do not consider Sheldon autistic, he's just very annoying, self-important, and the character is meant to grate. I do not find him at all funny either, even though the show tries to use him to comic effect. I find him such a pariah that I haven't watched more than a handful of episodes. If I were put in a room with someone exactly like him, I would need to go elsewhere. I have, as yet, never met anyone like that and I hope I never do.

The protagonist I absolutely detested is Ben Platt in Dear Evan Hansen. Being shy and Isolated at that age, he was portrayed as merely a confused NT who let a lie snowball. The portrayal was most certainly not of a shy person with social anxiety. It seemed like a Broadway and Hollywood portrayal to let smug NTs think they understand shyness from social anxiety.

Don’t know anything about Crash Bandicoot or video games at all, but the other two are among the WORST representation I’ve seen and are doing way more harm than good.

Sheldon is one of the worst characters. If he is meant to be autistic then the writers did a poor job at it.

The good doctor is also another portrayal that is annoying…athough I haven’t seen much of it.

I also watched Atypical and didnt think much of that.

Would not consider Crash Bandicoot as ASD.

The good doctor is also another portrayal that is annoying…athough I haven’t seen much of it.

What I saw of this show was so awful. It felt like his colleagues put up with him just because he was a...good doctor. Like if Jesus only healed the pretty lepers.

Even though it wasn't mentioned, I have to throw out Dr. Reid on Criminal Minds. They allude multiple times to his undiagnosed Autistic traits. Yet he has no problem flying all over the country without notice. No issues, no meltdowns, no overload.

My biggest gripe about this and Sheldon is it enforces the idea that anyone with a disability must overachieve to justify their existence in society.

The opposite is all the implicitly Autistic suspects on Law & Order. Always male, too. Like we're all pervs just waiting to stalk and harm women (whether through intent or our own obliviousness).

What I saw of this show was so awful. It felt like his colleagues put up with him just because he was a...good doctor. Like if Jesus only healed the pretty lepers.

Even though it wasn't mentioned, I have to throw out Dr. Reid on Criminal Minds. They allude multiple times to his undiagnosed Autistic traits. Yet he has no problem flying all over the country without notice. No issues, no meltdowns, no overload.
Yet he has no problem flying all over the country without notice. No issues, no meltdowns, no overload.

It should be mentioned that just because someone with Autism (Fictional or Otherwise) doesn't have issue with such things, it doesn't make them any less Autistic. The saying "When you've met one Autistic person, you've met one Autistic person" applies here. Autistic's have varying traits that are unique to each and every individual.

The real Sheldon, my brother was eccentric, waited 15 years to get his Engineering degree, did not go to university do a piece of paper, but rather learning lost job due to mental health issues spoke to professor who recognized his genius, who told him the piece of paper is not about you but rather others to show them you do know what you know. So, to me Sheldon is sad figure. the truth is not comedy, or funny. He passed away a couple of years ago I could not find his degree or awards. I suspect he chucked them on his 65 birthday, disillusioned with life

Yet he has no problem flying all over the country without notice. No issues, no meltdowns, no overload.

It should be mentioned that just because someone with Autism (Fictional or Otherwise) doesn't have issue with such things, it doesn't make them any less Autistic. The saying "When you've met one Autistic person, you've met one Autistic person" applies here. Autistic's have varying traits that are unique to each and every individual.

I still find it hard to believe. More importantly, he has no sensory issues. The show seemed to exaggerate positive qualities, and aside from that he was just awkward. None of the issues we talk about here (lights, noise, mutism, routine, taking things literally, etc.). He was a convenient plot device who could spot patterns in the last 5 minutes of the show, so crimes could be solved. I think it would have been more interesting if he burned out after 2 years.

Music - Sia's Music
Canonly an autistic character, but only portrayed as a caricature in a non satirical way (think like how south park has satirized many celebrities and public figures, only causing controversy some of the time). Sheldon cooper is the vanilla tropes for what the media thinks autism is portrayed as, “Caucasian male, high functioning, socially awkward, savant/good at math, and always always has an interest in trains.”

New Threads

Top Bottom