• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What do you do to clear your head?

marble

I've been in a really dark place after some traumatic events happened in my life earlier this year.

I tried walking to the beach today, I guess that helped take my mind off things for a little while.

What do you do to find your own inner peace?

Yes, walking helps a lot, as long as it's somewhere quiet. Chopping and stacking wood is also very therapeutic.

I've walked enough to last me a lifetime lol. It actually doesn't seem to stop me from ruminating at all. Even cycling often doesn't require enough mental focus to clear my mind of negative thoughts. Chopping wood would, would there be any wood needed chopping.
I like focusing on my special interests, though. Especially when I am doing something industrious, like building a bike or rearranging the hobby room, or something like that. I have to be in an industrious mood to get started on those things though.

- Walk (just wander around with no particular destination) especially in nature.
- Puzzles like Picross or Dr Mario.
- Read if my mind is calm enough for it.
- Listen to audiobooks/podcasts while sitting under a blanket.
- Spend a few minutes tidying up the house (if I have the energy).
- Scented candles are great.

Self care is important.

I find working puzzles and (past) going for long drives helpful because in doing either of these things you have to focus on what you're doing so you're still thinking, just not as intensely. It's a calmer way to think about the problem without being totally absorbed in it.

Cycling usually helps me clear my head in the summer. As it's winter here, shoveling snow, walking, snowshoeing, yoga, a book, or an online game.

When I'm down I tend to journal, write poetry, doodle, or sing.
I do the journal thing, and when I'm upset I can almost fill an entire notebook. lol But I just think more about whatever it is bothering me. As it's a release, it's also (for me) a method of dwelling. It helps release the anger or whatever, just doesn't help it go away.

I do the journal thing, and when I'm upset I can almost fill an entire notebook. lol But I just think more about whatever it is bothering me. As it's a release, it's also (for me) a method of dwelling. It helps release the anger or whatever, just doesn't help it go away.

Me too, if I'm "in a mood" about stuff, I usually just go on a long swear word filled rant on my Blog (not on here)

Inner peace...
Clear mind...
I use self hypnosis to achieve those things but it does require a good amount of mental energy.

Sing, write or compose songs or music, hang out with our orchids and cat on the back verandah, distraction via youtube or Netflix, sitting down in a warm shower, "zentangling", "trauma journaling" on myptsd, being around water, animals, gazing at beautiful vistas, talking to a trusted confidant (ie. my partner or councellor), snuggling with my fuzzy froggy under the blankets, painting, reading uplifting and/or informative texts/books/ etc., walking in nature and taking photo's of beautiful sights, aromatherapy, self soothing via touch, ie. smooth or soft surfaces, my forehead, reassurring myself via self stroking -arm, face, hands, writing poems, chopping wood is great, but I haven't had the opportunity to do that for many years. dancing, yoga, rigorous exercise, study and research ...just to name a few things.

Oh and I find group therapy quite helpful too, that's what I'm doing a lot of lately. I'm on a bus heading up to join a new one now.

Go forth and prosper!

Last edited:
There are many ways I suppose. Filling it with something else (ie. A special interest) can work.

Journal, listen/sing/dance to music, go for a walk, color. If I can focus, a word search or reading.

I recently discovered video walking tours on YouTube. I live in Australia and was wondering what London and NYC would look like all decorated for the holidays. The camera is on a head piece (I assume) as you just cruise through your chosen City as if you were walking . I found that it completely chilled me out because the visual is "natural" or, one long shot, so I found I wasn't over sensory stimulated , and simply turned down the volume if a siren/noise bothered me. The Guy I found on YouTube is "watched walker". Theres lots but he seemed to have the best quality camera where the footage looks somewhat 3D.
It also helps to "tell" my body to relax before watching a movie etc and to get preoperly comfy first , phone away and turned off.
Good luck and great post question

New Threads

Top Bottom