• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What Do These Abbreviations Mean?

Amee

Hey, so I'm pretty new to this place, and I find it really interesting, however there seem to be alot of shorts of words that I haven't encountered before so I'm guessing there related to aspergers/autism etc. So the ones I've seen the most of are AS, ASD, NT, and that's all I remember now. Could someone please tell me what they mean? And if there are other lingo that I've missed haha ^^,

AS actually stands for Asperger's syndrome, which is basically "high-functioning" autism. The latest version of the DSM has done away with this specific label, however.

DSM = DIagnostics and Statistics Manual

It's the book a lot of professionals in mental healthcare use for diagnosis. Currently the 5th edition is being used (by most professionals; came out May 2013) and has clumped together Asperger's, PDD-NOS and Autism into one and just refers to it as "Autism Spectrum Disorder"

Ah right :) I know what they are, as I've been diagnosed myself, I just don't know the shorts for them haha :) thanks for clearing it up

Welcome aboard, Amee!

I'm glad you asked these questions; newbies across almost all forums ask
questions about various abbreviations, shorthand, and so on used on the
specific forum in question.

What do DD and DH stand for? i've been reading them as dear daughter and dear husband.

I found DD, DH, DS particularly confusing as I thought Aspies were inclined not to use endearments. Really couldn't work them out. But apparently some do. Maybe its just me that finds them awkward to use and sickening to hear. Seems really odd when seeing them in a post on a forum. Just say who you mean!

For completeness, some other common ones we could add:
OCD: Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
AC: Aspies Central (ie, this forum)
OP: Original Poster
GF: Gluten Free (diet)

New Threads

Top Bottom