• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Highway Cowboy

Hi guys, recently diagnosed Aspergers, age 46. I'm a HGV Driver. High functioning autism /Aspergers.

What am I supposed to do after diagnosis? I'm not looking for any benefits or anything like that.. Just wondered what I'm supposed to do now.

Paid a fortune for private diagnosis cos NHS told me that I would not benefit from being diagnosed. Any help advice or suggestions greatly appreciated

e978bb526a489365731a9af4eee96241.png

What would you like to happen?

What would you like to do now?

How has diagnosis made you any different than the last 46 yrs?

Is it easier to understand why certain things happen now?

:)

Hi guys, recently diagnosed Aspergers, age 46. I'm a HGV Driver. High functioning autism /Aspergers.

What am I supposed to do after diagnosis? I'm not looking for any benefits or anything like that.. Just wondered what I'm supposed to do now.

Paid a fortune for private diagnosis cos NHS told me that I would not benefit from being diagnosed. Any help advice or suggestions greatly appreciated

Welcome to AC.

Best rule of thumb. Keep it on a "need-to-know" basis only. Otherwise be prepared for how precarious it may be to indiscriminately tell friends and family.

You don't really have to do anything. If you don't need any benefits and just wanted to understand why you are the way you are, you could have self-diagnosed with information from the web -- for free -- or a few books. And this is a great place to ask questions about specific things you want to know.

Welcome! What do you do now??? If you are like quite a few of us who were adults when diagnosed you get to spend the rest of your life learning to accept and be kind to yourself. Maybe like what I am doing right now, enjoying tea, chocolate, an app of a space heater fan, and satisfaction of giving a bad Google review to a tree trimming service running equipment when they are not actually using it. (20 minutes of a hideously loud running wood chipper without a single stick going in!) Again, welcome, I love seeing more and more middle age people showing up!!

listen to your self! what was the diagnosis going to do for you?

Hello and welcome.

You don't have to 'do' anything if you don't want to. For some people (me included) just knowing/getting a diagnosis was enough to give myself less of a hard time for all of my 'neuro-differences' and for not fitting in.

I still don't fit in, but I care much less which is a huge relief.

The most important thing is about what you want. If you need help to work that out, or bounce ideas off people, you've found the right place here.

Welcome to AC.

Best rule of thumb. Keep it on a "need-to-know" basis only. Otherwise be prepared for how precarious it may be to indiscriminately tell friends and family.
Thank you, the only person I have told is my missus. I have not told anyone in my family or anyone at work. It isn't really something you can just drop into a conversation is it. I think people would laugh at me or take the pee if I told them...

Hello and welcome.

You don't have to 'do' anything if you don't want to. For some people (me included) just knowing/getting a diagnosis was enough to give myself less of a hard time for all of my 'neuro-differences' and for not fitting in.

I still don't fit in, but I care much less which is a huge relief.

The most important thing is about what you want. If you need help to work that out, or bounce ideas off people, you've found the right place here.
Thank you, it's good to know I'm not on my own

welcome.png

This might sound like a simple observation,but the actual label has done nothing to change who you have always been ;)

You don't really have to do anything. If you don't need any benefits and just wanted to understand why you are the way you are, you could have self-diagnosed with information from the web -- for free -- or a few books. And this is a great place to ask questions about specific things you want to know.
Thank you , it probably sounds very "cliche" but I think I have known for years but tried to hide from it. Just recently I've been finding certain situations increasingly difficult such as family gatherings which I would rather chew drawing pins than attend! I just needed someone to tell me why I am the way I am. After a losing battle with my GP and the NHS I decided to pay private. I just sometimes feel I'm on the wrong planet

What would you like to happen?

How has diagnosis made you any different than the last 46 yrs?

Is it easier to understand why certain things happen now?

:)
If I'd broken my leg I'd have a cast on my leg, crutches and a ton of leaflets on how to manage my injury etc..But following diagnosis it just seems like that's it now, just get out and deal with it no "aftercare" as such, no cure, no support or anything

Perhaps most importantly you've come to the right place. To compare and contrast your manifestations of Aspergers/ASD with ours. And perhaps most of all, realize that despite going through life with that nagging feeling of being an alien among your own kind, that you are not alone. ;)

For me it's very liberating to discuss something so potentially abstract to so many, yet while in here to see so many who so quickly "get you".

It is so refreshing to be in the company of "my kind of people" who actually understand me as a person, not judging me or thinking I'm strange

Perhaps most importantly you've come to the right place. To compare and contrast your manifestations of Aspergers/ASD with ours. And perhaps most of all, realize that despite going through life with that nagging feeling of being an alien among your own kind, that you are not alone. ;)

For me it's very liberating to discuss something so potentially abstract to so many, yet while in here to see so many who so quickly "get you".
It's so refreshing to be in the company of "my kind of people" who actually understand me as a person, people who don't judge me or think I'm odd because I'm not like them

New Threads

Top Bottom