• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What device can I use while walking alone and talking to myself

Gift2humanity

V.I.P Member
This is an unusual request for help.
I need to go for walks alone on the fields near me, to keep my stress levels low enough for me to cope with my life at the moment, the fields are in nature which helps.
I feel a strong need, and a want, to talk to myself, while doing so, and I want to talk to myself with out feeling self-conscious as there are dog walkers who use the same fields.

I don't want to hold my phone to pretend to talk to someone, I want my hands free.
I keep my phone in a case with a strap wrapped around my shoulders.

I wonder, Is there any digital device that I can wear and talk to myself while walking alone, other than a phone, so that I don't look like a loon talking to myself when I pass people?

Many thanks

Try wearing a pair of wired ear phones with the wire hanging down outside your jacket, and the other end tucked in somewhere. People will then think that the phone is at the end of the wire

Uhmm

You should totally record it
Seriously
Lots of insight to be gained from that sort of thing. It should look totally natural, like taking a memo. I pack around a messenger bag, with all the important things in it, including an old fashioned tape recorder and paper/pens. For taking notes. After talking to myself.
If I had money I would likely try and find a modern version of that, so records like an hour? Rechargeable batteries
External mic/headphone thingies

There is nothing wrong with talking to yourself. I just don't want you to miss out on valuable information..

What I basically do outside is wear a pair of wired earbuds and stream music off my phone. I also used it for phone calls so you can listen to music and still talk to yourself where people will think it's an phone call.

Get one of those old-fashioned bluetooth hands-free earpieces... you can get it cheap, get a broken one. Be sure to gesture with your hands, and also have a few pauses where the "other person" is talking.

some people wear a large visible earpiece here while talking seemingly to themselves, you wouldn't know whether it's fake or real phone call.

Uhmm

You should totally record it
Seriously
Lots of insight to be gained from that sort of thing. It should look totally natural, like taking a memo. I pack around a messenger bag, with all the important things in it, including an old fashioned tape recorder and paper/pens. For taking notes. After talking to myself.
If I had money I would likely try and find a modern version of that, so records like an hour? Rechargeable batteries
External mic/headphone thingies

There is nothing wrong with talking to yourself. I just don't want you to miss out on valuable information..
I wish I could experience nature directly, with no verbalisations or evaluations or intellectualisations.
The only way I achieved this was with psychedelics.

I would be talking about my practical problems, how the Divine can help me, the nature, as I cannot be present with it right now until I have released all of the trauma from my body.

I bought these https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Urbanist...eywords=Urbanista+Paris&qid=1622149745&sr=8-2

Can you let me know how it all works? I'm interested in something like that. I don't think I like the stick it inside the ear kind, but I never tried them, so fascinating
I'll come back to this thread.
On an evening I have high plans for the following day, but this last five days (today being the exception) I have stayed in and not eaten properly, some days not getting dressed, I can't afford things I need it got me down.

I go to bed all positive and when I wake up, my mood is so low I laying bed eating nuts and it takes me hours to get up, I am like a different person. Since I realised I have an expense and also might owe a lot of money from undeclared income, I wake up with acute anxiety. The only thing that calms it is deliberate dissociation or going out.
I was going out for a good month in nature and stopped this last week.
Each night I hope I can wake up with a positive mindset because there is nothing I can do about the current problems as I have no money.

So, once again, tonight I hope I will bounce out of bed in the morning and eat my breakfast out of bed and go out in nature.

I'll come back to this thread.
On an evening I have high plans for the following day, but this last five days (today being the exception) I have stayed in and not eaten properly, some days not getting dressed, I can't afford things I need it got me down.

I go to bed all positive and when I wake up, my mood is so low I laying bed eating nuts and it takes me hours to get up, I am like a different person. Since I realised I have an expense and also might owe a lot of money from undeclared income, I wake up with acute anxiety. The only thing that calms it is deliberate dissociation or going out.
I was going out for a good month in nature and stopped this last week.
Each night I hope I can wake up with a positive mindset because there is nothing I can do about the current problems as I have no money.

So, once again, tonight I hope I will bounce out of bed in the morning and eat my breakfast out of bed and go out in nature.

When I’m depressed it is difficult to achieve escape velocity from bed.

So I started a few sleep hygiene habits that have helped. One of them is that the bed is for sleeping and sex and that is all.

I have a rule of a half an hour maximum before I must meet up with myself lol in the kitchen for tea and breakfast.

Then if I feel it’s imperative to go back to bed I am allowed. But after tea and food and maybe a coffee, bed doesn’t look so good. Plus I already made it all neat and it’d mess it up if I get back under the covers.

There’s a good organization called Still I Run ( it’s for walkers too) which promotes movement for mental health.
Still I Run | Runners for Mental Health Awareness | Home

An aside: I don’t allow food in the bedroom unless I have a cold or flu.

Last edited:
Lots of single people walk and talk into their earpiece phone. You could just pretend, with the cheapest one available?

Last edited:
When I’m depressed it is difficult to achieve escape velocity from bed.

So I started a few sleep hygiene habits that have helped. One of them is that the bed is for sleeping and sex and that is all.

I have a rule of a half an hour maximum before I must meet up with myself lol in the kitchen for tea and breakfast.

Then if I feel it’s imperative to go back to bed I am allowed. But after tea and food and maybe a coffee, bed doesn’t look so good. Plus I already made it all neat and it’d mess it up if I get back under the covers.

There’s a good organization called Still I Run ( it’s for walkers too) which promotes movement for mental health.
Still I Run | Runners for Mental Health Awareness | Home

An aside: I don’t allow food in the bedroom unless I have a cold or flu.
I sleep on my sofa, I can't sleep in the bedroom, I can't say why on here.
Thanks for the link.
I do find breakfast helps.
I promise that I will eat the avocados first, but lately I've been chewing on nuts, dissociating for hours.

I have no trouble getting off to sleep, it's staying asleep that I struggle with, and for ages I was having anxious dark thoughts when returning to sleep, which put me off, I even wondered if I should get up at ungodly hours. I started taking valerian root, it took a couple of weeks to kick in, but when it did, it took those thoughts away, it also took away my regular-as-clockwork 4 hours of anxiety in the evenings, but the anxious thoughts have come back when I wake at ungodly hours in the night, so I figured I needed a break from it as it shouldn't be used for a long time.
I have other herbs I take.

I need to get uninterrupted sleep however I wake up and I am still tired, I dunno what that is all about, surely when you wake up with insomnia you are not tired, and as I am I can't resist snuggling down in to my sofa, regretting it as those weird dreams and thoughts come back.

I can't wait till I am off my valerian root break.

New Threads

Top Bottom