• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What cheap microphones do you recommend for starting a podcast?

Greatshield17

Claritas Prayer Group#9435
I was advised to start a podcast and make YouTube videos to promote and expand my group. I have limited cash right now and so can't afford a high-quality microphone, what relatively cheap microphone would you recommend to start a podcast? After watching the video below, I am thinking about getting the Blue Snowball, but what would you recommend?:

I use an Audiotechnica AT2020 for mostly everything because it's low-noise and usually under $99 USD.

What's your budget? Also, are you looking for a dynamic or condenser? Field recorder inbuilt? USB / XLR? etc

Don't forget to check second hand. You could potentially pick up something much higher spec for a lot less money.

Ed

I use an Audiotechnica AT2020 for mostly everything because it's low-noise and usually under $99 USD.

What's your budget? Also, are you looking for a dynamic or condenser? Field recorder inbuilt? USB / XLR? etc
Under $50 to be honest because that's all I have right now. I just want a simple mic that I can plug into my laptop and record, and sounds really good (the Blue Snowball in the video above seems to fit that criteria quite well); I do though plan on upgrading as, please God, my podcast and group expands and develops.

If you're willing to do a little bit of post-processing, you can definitely get away with something in that price range (Audacity and a few nyquist plugins probably have you covered if noise is an issue). From my experience, cheaper condensers are usually a bit higher on the noise floor, but you can always opt for dynamic if that's an issue and you don't want to mess with post. USB is also a good option for the former (condenser) because you don't have to worry about an interface, phantom power and all of that.

I was advised to start a podcast and make YouTube videos to promote and expand my group. I have limited cash right now and so can't afford a high-quality microphone, what relatively cheap microphone would you recommend to start a podcast? After watching the video below, I am thinking about getting the Blue Snowball, but what would you recommend?:
It depends on the environment you're recording in. Is it untreated? (Meaning lots of ambient noise.) Do you have a boom arm or do you need one? Will it be on a desk? Will you be hand-holding? (Some mics pic up vibration more than others.) Do you have a mixer already? If so, does it supply phantom power (48V)?

I need more info before recommending.

20191120_203552-scaled.jpg

20200118_184340-scaled.jpg

I run an online radio station as a hobby so I've got a bit of experience here.

New Threads

Top Bottom