• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What characters do/did you find relatable?

JellyBean

Your local hug-dealer
What characters that you've watched, read or listened made you feel happy or less alone with your diagnosis? Like what characters did you find relatable as a child and up to now.

I remember as a small kid I related to Fumble from Happy Feet, Fluttershy from mlp and Luna Lovegood in the Harry Potter series.

Later in life i found characters like Charlie Kelmeckis from Tpobaw, Anna Sakaki from When Marnie Was There, Sherlock Holmes, L from Death Note, Deku from Boku no hero academia, Allison Reynolds from the breakfast club and Fox Mulder from X-files really relatable.

Sorry if my english is bad, it's not my first language : p

Judy Hopps from Zootopia...the situation with her parents, "It's okay to have dreams if you don't believe in them" was all too familiar.
I found her relatable too, also all the judgement and hardships she faced from others just because she was a bunny, was totally something i related to as a person with aspergers.

What characters that you've watched, read or listened made you feel happy or less alone with your diagnosis? Like what characters did you find relatable as a child and up to now.

I remember as a small kid I related to Fumble from Happy Feet, Fluttershy from mlp and Luna Lovegood in the Harry Potter series.

Later in life i found characters like Charlie Kelmeckis from Tpobaw, Anna Sakaki from When Marnie Was There, Sherlock Holmes, L from Death Note, Deku from Boku no hero academia, Allison Reynolds from the breakfast club and Fox Mulder from X-files really relatable.

Sorry if my english is bad, it's not my first language : p
Aah, Fox. I had such a crush on him when X-files first aired. I don't really remember relating to any characters as a kid. I didn't watch TV much, and while I devoured tons of books I never really thought about how the characters related to me. I do remember that ever since I was a small kid I felt like most roles Alan Rickman played were very good. He seemed permanently exasperated by humankind and I liked it.

I've watched a lot more TV than I'd like to admit, but very rarely identify with characters.
However, I do feel a strong connection to early seasons Dr Brennan on Bones (I know, totally unexpected... :/sarcasm: ).
I watched the 1st season of Suits (and had to stop because they spend all their time walking and it made my head spin), and I felt that the main character was kind of relatable, with his interest and extensive in his field. But I didn't agree with what I felt was dishonest in his choice. I don't think he would fit the criteria for Aspie, it's just a guy with amazing memory, period.
Now, I don't usually like whiny dramas marketed towards stereotypes of what women are supposed to be, but I got caught up in Grey's Anatomy and just wish for Cristina Yang to get out of that TV and be my friend. The woman is brilliant, not clouded by emotions, overall not so bothered by conventions... and I'm surprised that when they decided to have an arc one season with a supposedly autistic doctor, they went with another one, but that's just me. I just identified a lot with a character driven by logic, intellect and not ashamed to have a few unconventional choices for a woman.

I liked Jim Hawkins from Treasure Island, not a TV show but well... you can't have everything.

I can't think of any characters to whom I totally related - rather, I learned from their experiences, and only related on certain things - but "sharing" that with these fictional characters was important for me emotionally, as I wasn't getting that in the real world. I did really like Luna in "Harry Potter" though - but I have only seen the movies, haven't read the books yet. In the movies, anyway - I related to her different way of viewing the world and being so very her, very different, and getting teased - but I didn't relate to how peaceful she was and not bothered by the teasing. I actually found that inspiring :)

:D:rocket:...Gru...just need to round up a cute agent lady and 3 cute orphan girls and a ugly dog...the rest I have covered!

probably Tomoko Kuroki from watamote. Almost 80% of situations she struggles with socially are one's I've found myself in. and also Mashiro shiina from the pet girl of sakurasou. she struggles a lot more than I do, but I found the way she's oblivious to social and the fact that she's often more concerned with her artwork than the world around her to be extremely relatable.

I think I have the strongest connections with Ciel from Kuroshitsuji, Haru from Free!, Arya from the Inheritance Cycle, Lapis from Steven Universe, and Riza from Fullmetal Alchemist. They're all pretty serious, and none of them seem very socially inclined. I actually think it's canon that Haru is autistic. If not, then it's a really popular headcanon. I'd say it's pretty obvious, though.

Sheldon Cooper from The Big Bang Theory. There's just so much in common between the two of us - social ineptitude, rambling about interests, trouble making friends, being made fun of and bullied, inadvertently picking fights with people, choosing not to drive, correcting people, throwing tantrums, anxieties and OCD tendencies, issues with tact, being "annoying", poor sense of humor, never having dated (kinda; he did start dating someone later, no spoilers), not being interested in sex, being scared of dogs and hypochondria all come to mind. I'm not a genius though, but many people consider me very smart (one guy said I have a computer in my brain). Another difference is that many of these qualities (especially picking fights and being annoying) actually lower my self-esteem very much, and I don't see that happening with Sheldon; he seems to be overly fond of himself.

I'm a bit dated on this subject in age it seems, but, growing up Spock was my ideal.
Now I see much of myself in Walter on Scorpion and Spencer Reid- Criminal Minds.
I know they're guys, but, can't think of any female characters off hand with traits I relate to.

Brick Heck from The Middle. We both enjoy reading, have awkward social skills, and have verbal tics (his is whispering to himself, mine is a loud "Ooooo" at cute moments)

Karma from Assassination Classroom, Mob from Mob Psycho 100, Mr Aizawa from My Hero Academia and Ralph from Wreck-It Ralph. Probably some others, but those are the ones that come to mind right now.

New Threads

Top Bottom