• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What being Aspergers means to me.

John Parris

I've been struck by the difficulty we seem to have answering the question 'what is Aspergers?'

So I thought I'd start a discussion by answering the question 'What Aspergers means to me.' Please feel free to comment – maybe put in words what it means to you!

'Hello. My name is John, I'm 70 and Aspergers.'

'Really! Interesting, so what does that mean?'

For me, the defining feature of Aspergers is how the brain deals with inputs and outputs. The brain has difficulty interpreting inputs from the five senses, sometimes too sensitive, sometimes the opposite, many times failing to process all the detail in the signals being received. Also the brain has difficulty in the command and control of outputsthe co-ordination of physical actions and communication. Being Aspergers, I may not be sensing the world as it really is and subconsciously I know I don't have the skills to deal with it. Before diagnosis, I didn't realise this, I just believed I should strive to be like everyone else.

Facial expressions show the physical co-ordination problems. The brain has to co-ordinate many muscles to form expressions. Non-Aspergers people learn to skilfully control these muscles to give subtly nuanced expressions. As an Aspergers person I have difficulty doing this. Look at my usual vague non-responsive benign face. Then when I try to make an expression it looks either exaggerated, understated or just plain wrong. Also, I shuffle around with my nightmare gait, creating havoc with collisions and breakages. In many activities requiring physical skill with pen, brush, hand tool or ball I'm just plain embarrassing.

I find verbal communication difficult, regularly saying the wrong thing to the wrong people at the wrong time, in the wrong situation and badly put. Not good with social situations, sometimes I've avoided them, been stumped or I tended to blurt out my first often negative or inappropriate reaction, only having to walk it back when I've had time to think about it – or someone has told me its wrong. Sometimes I think my response was a really good joke!

My development has been severely affected by these difficulties. I blundered in or compromised with sometimes weird workarounds to avoid difficult situations. As a result I learnt the wrong way from the wrong, often bad example from the wrong people or situation. This has two main components: First, my expectations about how situations work; what I think I can or should say or do were often just plain wrong. Second, what I said and did were usually defective copies of what should be. I call these Wrong Expectations and Poor Copies. Sometimes these might seem convincing, often they were grotesque parodies.

It is often said that Aspergers people are all different. My conclusion is that at a fundamental level we are all very similar. The same poor understanding of sensual input, poor physical co-ordination and communication skills. Further, the way I think I think is basically normal, albeit adapted by struggling to understand the way things are and to respond with poorly co-ordinated tools.

Yes, we have different characters and personalities and some Aspergers people also have other disabilities. But in many other ways the differences between us are in how we have mis-learnt from our individual experiences. Because of this what I expect and how I say and do things can be very different to other Aspergers people. We baffle people, we make diagnosis and description difficult as we have developed different Wrong Expectations and Poor Copies. But these are results of trying to cope, not symptoms of the problem.

So I believe we are all the same but different!

Having Asperger's (perhaps the title should read ASD/Asperger's?) means that I process information in a different way. Information meaning: sensory input, emotions, social information, facts, etc. My body langauge and tone of voice is also subtly different. This means that I stand out as being different, I think in a different way and I have a lot of misunderstandings with people and so find it hard to fit it an be accepted in mainstream society. Some things, particularly of a social nature, that are easy and come naturally to other people can be difficult for me, and this results in often intense anxiety. I simply don't have a social brain.

It also means: I have (or had) a good long term memory, I have a good eye for detail and analytic skills, and although I may work slower, the work I produce is of a high standard. It means that I can remain impartial and emotionally detached, have an independent mind not easily influenced by others and can view things objectively. I'm also an independent learner and can pick up new skills and absorb new information very quickly on my own, without formal teaching.

I've been struck by the difficulty we seem to have answering the question 'what is Aspergers?'
(snip)

It is often said that Aspergers people are all different. My conclusion is that at a fundamental level we are all very similar. The same poor understanding of sensual input, poor physical co-ordination and communication skills.
So I believe we are all the same but different!

Sorry, but your conclusion is based on only one example -- you. As such, it has no validity. Why is it even necessary to repeat this again and again? Not all aspies (or autistics) have a poor understanding of sensory (not sensual) input, or have poor coordination and poor communication skills.

I am asked this by my husband and I say: my brain is wired differently to your brain. When he asks questions that not even "experts" can answer such as: meltdowns and anxiety and obsessions etc, I just say: well, neurotypicals experience those too, but the way they express is how their brain is wired, just as they way we express is the way our brain wired.

The other question is: isn't being on the spectrum a mental illness? I answer: is being a neurotypical a mental illness? Of course not!

It was a part of me long before i got diagnosed. So for me it means my thinking is different. My emotions are more powerful. Im independent in thoughts and have different ideas about things.

I do not think coordination and communication skills are universal. I excelled at the first and can do well with the second. I do have however have anxiety issues that may create limitations, and may overshoot/overdo things so to speak as I have difficulty sometimes with regulation.

Having Asperger's (perhaps the title should read ASD/Asperger's?) means that I process information in a different way. Information meaning: sensory input, emotions, social information, facts, etc. My body langauge and tone of voice is also subtly different. This means that I stand out as being different, I think in a different way and I have a lot of misunderstandings with people and so find it hard to fit it an be accepted in mainstream society. Some things, particularly of a social nature, that are easy and come naturally to other people can be difficult for me, and this results in often intense anxiety. I simply don't have a social brain.

It also means: I have (or had) a good long term memory, I have a good eye for detail and analytic skills, and although I may work slower, the work I produce is of a high standard. It means that I can remain impartial and emotionally detached, have an independent mind not easily influenced by others and can view things objectively. I'm also an independent learner and can pick up new skills and absorb new information very quickly on my own, without formal teaching.
Thank you Progster, very interesting and informative.

Sorry, but your conclusion is based on only one example -- you. As such, it has no validity. Why is it even necessary to repeat this again and again? Not all aspies (or autistics) have a poor understanding of sensory (not sensual) input, or have poor coordination and poor communication skills.
Thank you Catana, most interesting to see your examples.

I am asked this by my husband and I say: my brain is wired differently to your brain. When he asks questions that not even "experts" can answer such as: meltdowns and anxiety and obsessions etc, I just say: well, neurotypicals experience those too, but the way they express is how their brain is wired, just as they way we express is the way our brain wired.

The other question is: isn't being on the spectrum a mental illness? I answer: is being a neurotypical a mental illness? Of course not!
Thank you Suzanne, hope he's happy with these replies!

I do not think coordination and communication skills are universal. I excelled at the first and can do well with the second. I do have however have anxiety issues that may create limitations, and may overshoot/overdo things so to speak as I have difficulty sometimes with regulation.
Thank you Tom. Yes, I agree about both overshoot and anxiety.

New Threads

Top Bottom