• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What autism resources would you like to see?

What autism resources would you like to see?

• More books by autistic people for autistic people

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • More research into how autism develops

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Autistic lead apartments / neighborhoods for autistic people

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • More autistic awareness by known corporations

• Proper autistic character representation in television shows, movies, and other media

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • More online interactive communities and forums for autistic people

• More personal stories, resources, and financial funding for autistic adults and the late diagnosed

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • More marketing for autistic needs like audio sensories, tactile sensories, and stimming toys

• Help with getting a car, license, and driving lessons for autistic people

• Total voters

Hannibal

a cannibal
V.I.P Member
If you have any ideas not listed here please comment them. I would love to hear them. You may want all of these options but pick the most desirable one, two, or three to you.

The thing I'd love to see most would be more resources for autistic adults. It seems to me when people think of "special needs"/mental disabilities, children and teenagers come to mind first and foremost. But autistic children grow up into autistic adults. Most resources on autism online and in books tend to be for helping neurotypicals interact with autistic people (e.g parents, teachers, workplaces); there's nowhere near as many resources out there for us to help us.

The thing I'd love to see most would be more resources for autistic adults. It seems to me when people think of "special needs"/mental disabilities, children and teenagers come to mind first and foremost. But autistic children grow up into autistic adults. Most resources on autism online and in books tend to be for helping neurotypicals interact with autistic people (e.g parents, teachers, workplaces); there's nowhere near as many resources out there for us to help us.

I 100% agree with you. This is my number one desire. I've noticed when searching for resources the majority of resources are for neurotypicals and specifically parents of young autistic children. These resources are needed like any other, however, like you said, those young autistic children grow up to be autistic adults. Not to mention how many people are diagnosed later in life and don't have the finances to pay for needed therapy, medication, or getting the diagnosis in the first place. People diagnosed as a child or young teen have the privilege of getting community help and sometimes free healthcare depending on their age and needs.

Numbers 5, 7, 8. Apart from help with car and license, also help with any autority or institution requiring paperwork, including hospitals.

More help for autistic people in hospitals, more awareness and training for hospital staff about autism.

I would really love there to be a website like TripAdvisor, but catering for autistic people, with ratings and reviews given to local businesses and services about how 'autism friendly' they are, whether they easily accommodate autistic people, whether they are recommended or not, etc.

New Threads

Top Bottom