• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are your future/current careers?

oskarandri

Talk about your future/current career? Like me, i want to become an oncologist, oncology is a specialty of medicine which involves the diagnosis,screening,treatment,prognosis and cause of Cancer and tumours, and i want to become a hematologist too, hematology is a specialty of medicine which involves the study of the blood and it's diseases. what's your career?

The only thing I've ever studied and worked in is IT. Mainly hardware and network maintenance, and general support. Occasional amounts of programming.

I'm tempted in the future to join the army or the police service purely for the fact that it goes against absolutely everything I am and it'd either make or break me, mentally and physically.

Well despite being quite smart, I'm too disabled to work :(

In a perfect world I'd probably be a neurologist. I seem to know more than all the psychiatrists I've had. My first psychiatrist didn't seem to appreciate it, when I questioned his first drug choice and explained what all the different receptors did and how the drug he prescribed me wouldn't work.

Edit: I guess I could work in IT as well. I'm not bad a programming. Although at present I only know Lua. That was very easy to learn though, so it shouldn't be too hard to learn a more useful programming language surely?

I have just graduated as an RN. My original dream job was a pediatric oncologist. However, the more experience and knowledge I gain, my preferences change. I love nursing. My favorite place to work is in cardiology. I've also been looking into being a nurse/ therapist and working with autistic children and teens. I am a self diagnosed aspie. My little brother has aspegers. I've really developed a passion for these kids. :) pursue your dream in the medic field. It IS possible.

I work as a data-entry operator--on two jobs. Been doing this for almost 33 years. I received a BA in Speech Pathology and English--haven't taken advantage of it yet. I believe I am too much into routine--otherwise, I would have gone beyond data entry. However, in 9 1/2 years, I will receive a decent pension so I could enjoy my Golden Years. I'd be 62 by that time. I plan on travelling extensively around the world.

How come you got away from pediatric oncology? I know there are some neoplasms which are curable in kids, and others which are not. Those which are not, it would seem, would cause any nurse to become discouraged. Those which are, however, if I'm not mistaken, could prove rewarding for any nurse associated with the child who has successfully conquered it.

I am a self-diagnosed Aspie myself. There was an entity known as "autism" during the 1960's (my childhood); it seem as if it was limited to those who would be referred to as "low-functioning" today. Asperger's was in the literature starting in 1944, but was not known to the general public until the 1980s. I believe most Aspies and High-functioning autistic people would have been diagnosed with "minimal brain dysfunction" or something of that nature during the 1960s.

My goal is to foster independence (in all aspects of life) within those who have Asperger's or Autism.

Good luck in your future career! Congratulations on obtaining your degree and (ESPECIALLY) completing the Clinical part. In my studies, I didn't do so well in Clinical because (possibly) of my Aspergian traits.

I am an HVAC (heating,ventilation,air conditioning) service technician. Also a volunteer EMT and fire fighter.

My current career:

I am currently an auditor working in a member firm a large accounting network in the world. My salary is way lower than industry averages. Bye bye, most active user on Aspies Central. Gone to work most of the time. This is the job from Hell for Aspies with ADHD like me. :p But well.

My future career:

I want to be a full-time sports writer writing about Spartans and Lions football, Spartans and Pistons basketball and Tigers baseball. (I'm not too conversant in hockey-talk.) I like the Wolverines too, but I am tired of either Wolverines or the Buckeyes, so here I am. It'd be good if I move to Metro Detroit permanently, but well, it is a boomtown after 6 years of economic malaise.

Last edited:
Currently I am working for a supernova cosmology research group helping them port a software package that they use over to the supercomputer at their lab. I eventually want to go into astronomy or maybe heavy ion physics.

I want to be a motovational speaker to bring more awerness to autism.aspergers also to inspire and advice to young children and adults of my life experience with my aspergers. I am 50 this year

I want to translate text and know a minimum of sixty languages. I'm still on my first ten, however. Hell, I haven't even been able to list more than forty that I currently really want to know well, but I reckon I will want more the more I learn.

I would also like to do original research in science, primarily physics and biology, but to do that I feel I have to learn everything that is already known about those, as well as everything known about maths, chemistry, statistics et cetera. So that's some way into the future.

I would like to be a mathematics fellow at a top university, ideally trinity college cambridge. I would also like to be a network security developer for SIS(MI6).

Current job is working for a public accounting firm preparing tax returns and assisting with audits. Just starting my 3rd tax season but really struggling with several aspects of the job. Working with many different managers/supervisors based on the client I am working on is stressful. Also being able to manage many projects at the same time with strict deadlines at times is tough. I also struggle with noise in background affecting my ability to concentrate. Sensory overload at times clouds my mind. Busy season is tough working 65 hours a week or so so with minimal time to recover. My big strength comes in terms of technical knowledge. I had a 4.0 in college in one of the toughest accounting schools but struggle with the actual work.

Current job is working for a public accounting firm preparing tax returns and assisting with audits. Just starting my 3rd tax season but really struggling with several aspects of the job... I had a 4.0 in college in one of the toughest accounting schools but struggle with the actual work.

I feel you, bro/sis. Really. My parents forced me on this career. For the longest while, I'd rather spend 65 hours coming here to talk to fellow Aspies like me and help in our issues, than to even think about auditing.

You may forget about one more thing: colleagues. They come and go and it hurts if we just developed a cordial working relationship, before they leave.

Don't even say 'oh, I am lucky to be in the job I am having', auditing/public accounting is known to be the slavedriver kind of job.

I sometimes have the thought that public accountant NEEDS us, though. In the Big Four firms in Singapore, it's all the same. 'Top' graduates from 'top' graduates with 4.0 GPA and outstanding leadership credentials and sports/ representation for Singapore and other countries spend three to seven years in the same firm, before 'moving on' to be top finance executives elsewhere. They are the lucky sons and daughters of the land, who never knew the problems of the disadvantaged (those born to a lower socioeconomic status, a minority race/religion/ethnic group, or with disabilities and conditions etc).

I do not see myself as an accountant anymore. If I can, I want to work in social media (time to brush my coding skills!) and this may mean extended absences from Aspies Central. So long as people accept me, as an Asian, as an Autie and as a male who wants to provide a good living for his family, and someone who wishes to work with the team for not just higher revenues, but also a more accepting culture that brings people and ideas together.

I hope I won't have to move too far from home. I feel, though, it is time for me to move on, if I want to build a happier and more fulfilling career. The world cannot be all the same anymore, at least for me.

Right now I'm a camgirl.... I'm very comfortable with sexuality so it kind of overshadows my social awkwardness. I'm not shy with nudity. I'm starting to consider this a career, as I'm paying more money on increasing the quality of my work. Some people make as much money as surgeons! You just need to keep at it and treat it like a serious career.
I don't need to leave the house, I just have to sit on the computer and look pretty. It's cool. And you don't need to go through an interviewing process, you just have to verify your age. It's a lot less stressful!

I am currently a student and work part time as a waitress in a coffee shop. I am studying geophysics and I want to be a seismologist and work with earthquakes.

Right now I'm a camgirl.... I'm very comfortable with sexuality so it kind of overshadows my social awkwardness. I'm not shy with nudity. I'm starting to consider this a career, as I'm paying more money on increasing the quality of my work. Some people make as much money as surgeons! You just need to keep at it and treat it like a serious career.
I don't need to leave the house, I just have to sit on the computer and look pretty. It's cool. And you don't need to go through an interviewing process, you just have to verify your age. It's a lot less stressful!
I'm glad you're enjoying that work, and I'm really surprised to learn there's so much money in it! It never really occurred to me that that could be a good career for an Aspie, but it makes sense. No interviewing process? Not having to leave the house? Wish I could find a job like that. :)

Number cruncher? Jeremiah Johnson? Riverboat Gambler? Adrenaline Junkie?

I usually refer to it as being a "private investor". But the reality is closer to all of the above at times.

But I get to live and work mostly on my own terms...as long as I can remain capitalized. That's pretty powerful stuff for an Aspie who has never fared particularly well in a job interview/search process. If you can find you have resources from within, use them as best you can. Whatever they may be.

So far all I've really ever done for pay is metal fabrication and the engineering of it. I like doing odd projects of my own on the side too.

But I also used to write and illustrate installation/repair manuals for the equipment we built. That fit me well because I could think and draw in 3D, could write using descriptive steps in proper grammar, and I could visualize how the equipment functioned and knew how to work on mechanical things anyway. I also enjoyed the fact that especially back 15 years ago, online instructions were not so prevalent, and it was a total puzzle finding who made a certain component, then sourcing instructions for it. I was always getting dirty tearing apart boxes and pallets, rubbing part numbers through paint, blowing up and reassembling images using the copy machine.

I'm at a point in my life right now where I can't take chances, and have 5 years until my daughter turns 18. Then I might try something else. Maybe auto mechanics, I am already good at that. What they do on that show American Restoration sounds enjoyable. No instructions, you have to be able to learn how something works and completely rebuild it and make it workable. Something new to learn every day, sometimes things you didn't even know existed.

New Threads

Top Bottom