• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are you looking forward to in the 2021-22 NFL Season?

Who will win the Super Bowl this year?

• Buccaneers

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Packers

Votes: 1 20.0%
  • Chiefs

• Bills

• 49ers

• Titans (no I'm not biased)

• Other

Votes: 2 40.0%

• Total voters

VernalSole1355

Fellow Aspies, AMERICAN football season is upon us!

The NFL season officially starts this coming Thursday (9/9/21) with the Dallas Cowboys travelling to Tampa Bay to take on the Buccaneers. Most games will be played on Sunday (9/12/21) & a pair of games on Monday (9/13/21).

Those of you that are fans of the NFL or football in general, what are you looking forward to this season?

I am looking forward to seeing how Jacksonville does with the rookie QB Trevor Lawrence, and hoping the NE Patriots do not make the playoffs again. I am curious how Aaron Rogers will do because of his dislike for Green Bay management. I expect Tom Brady to start showing some signs of his older age with Tampa, but who knows there. He may still play until he's sixty, as he needs Super Bowl ring for each finger.

But my expectations are as follows:

Josh Allen MVP (Most Valuable Player)
Sean McDermott COY (Coach Of Year)
Greg Rousseau DROY (Defensive Rookie of the Year)
Buffalo Bills (Super Bowl Winner)

Yes, I am biased there, lol.

Sorry, I have no interest in team or pro sports. I decided a long while ago to pursue individual sports that require skill to stay safe, like whitewater open canoe, or SCUBA; certified for overhead environments, decompression and night diving.

The NFL season officially starts this coming Thursday (9/9/21) with the Dallas Cowboys travelling to Tampa Bay to take on the Buccaneers. Most games will be played on Sunday (9/12/21) & a pair of games on Monday (9/13/21).

Those of you that are fans of the NFL or football in general, what are you looking forward to this season?
I'm looking forward to the news not being dominated by players' getting in fights, cheating on wives, drug use, political stands, and other assorted stupidity. Don't believe it will happen, though.

Try adding in brackets USA for the 6.5 or so billion people who aren't from the USA!

CFL (Canadian Football League) all the way for me!

I think I like the intimacy of our league up here, fewer teams, when sports leagues become super large I find them hard to even follow

I'm looking forward to the news not being dominated by players' getting in fights, cheating on wives, drug use, political stands, and other assorted stupidity. Don't believe it will happen, though.

Yes I agree with you, it’s political and stupid. I’m looking forward for the tv not being dominated by political players, so you hit the nail on the head.

As always I just find myself confused.

Others around me sure like it all. But I see any of it on TV and I have no bloody idea what's happening. What even are the rules, do they just smack into each other at random? Even if I dont exactly care about other sports, their general methods at least make sense, but American football is this bizarre nonsensical mess that I've never been able to decipher.

Others around me sure like it all. But I see any of it on TV and I have no bloody idea what's happening. What even are the rules, do they just smack into each other at random? Even if I dont exactly care about other sports, their general methods at least make sense, but American football is this bizarre nonsensical mess that I've never been ablhttps://www.liveabout.com/football-101-the-basics-of-football-1333784e to decipher.

The below link explains the basic rules pretty clearly for anyone that is interested. Once one learns the basics, then things start to make more sense the more they study what is happening and the more specific other questions they then have to fill in the other details.

How to Explain Football to Someone Who Has No Clue

I am a casual observer now as the obnoxiousness has reached a absurd level. So I am just casually rooting for my team to actually start being a NFL team and not a bunch of clowns running things including the owner in the clowns assessment.

The below link explains the basic rules pretty clearly for anyone that is interested. Once one learns the basics, then things start to make more sense the more they study what is happening and the more specific other questions they then have to fill in the other details.

How to Explain Football to Someone Who Has No Clue

That's the thing: I already knew this stuff.

It's moreso that there's like 50 extra layers of weird concepts and terms I dont understand, and then the even weirder bit with all these bazillions of different plays that they do, which I assume are chosen by throwing darts at a board, and heck if I know what the difference between any of them is.

Though the other bit that makes it hard to really take any of it in is how bloody LONG it takes. It's, what, a 60 minute clock? And then takes like 4 hours. I have trouble understanding how that makes sense, or how anyone manages to pay attention to it.

Granted it's not the only sport to have this problem. I fully understand baseball, but it has the same issue, everyone spends WAY more time standing around or walking slowly or whatever, and the bits where Stuff Actually Happens seem few and far between.

And then of course you add greed displays- er, I mean, commercials, and it just takes even longer...

It's moreso that there's like 50 extra layers of weird concepts and terms I dont understand, and then the even weirder bit with all these bazillions of different plays that they do, which I assume are chosen by throwing darts at a board, and heck if I know what the difference between any of them is.

Though the other bit that makes it hard to really take any of it in is how bloody LONG it takes. It's, what, a 60 minute clock? And then takes like 4 hours. I have trouble understanding how that makes sense, or how anyone manages to pay attention to it.

Granted it's not the only sport to have this problem. I fully understand baseball, but it has the same issue, everyone spends WAY more time standing around or walking slowly or whatever, and the bits where Stuff Actually Happens seem few and far between.

And then of course you add greed displays- er, I mean, commercials, and it just takes even longer...

Yes, in some ways I know what you mean. I mean, regarding the complexity of the plays, mostly coaches and persons who played that type of football before understand such complex plays, as there is a book of plays they have to study, knowing where to run, where to move, what formation to be in, all based on the abbreviated call sent in from the sidelines (the coach or player on the sidelines assisting with such play calls will usually make such calls, if not the quarterback), and as based on what each player sees across from them on the other side. So, the average fan of this sport knows nothing about that complex stuff, including me.

As for the length of the game, you are correct too. Although its a 60 minute game, it drags on usually at least three hours because the clocks stops whenever the ball hits the ground, a player with the football runs out of bounds with the ball, when the first and third quarter end, for halftime, when some injury occurs, when a penalty occurs, and when one of the team coaches or players call a timeout, as each team has 3 per half. The actual live amount of play with the ball moving and players moving at the same time is actually only about 11 minutes. The rest of the time the players rest, and persons watching do whatever.

So, it seems to me that 11 minutes of play out of 3 hours of watching might not make sense to most. Lots though may like to talk (complain, critique or show vocal bravado) ) during stoppages, go eat, watch commercials, collaborate with each other what play (pass or run) could or should happen next, go to sleep if the score or game becomes boring, or whatever. In my case, certain sports bore the heck out of me, but football is not one, as each play is very important to determine who wins or loses, as a touchdown could occur on one play even (a long pass or long run), and not just the team with the ball could score, but the defense can score too, if the quarterback of the offense team threw an interception to an opposing player, or if the running back running with the ball dropped it, and the opposing player ran it back for a touchdown.

Last edited:

Others around me sure like it all. But I see any of it on TV and I have no bloody idea what's happening. What even are the rules, do they just smack into each other at random? Even if I dont exactly care about other sports, their general methods at least make sense, but American football is this bizarre nonsensical mess that I've never been able to decipher.
When I was in Australia too many years ago, there was a TV comedy, one bit which featured a sports announcer covering the "Australian International Farqurkling Team." He would confidently babble nonsense technical terms like everyone knew what he was talking about. He sounded just like an American sports announcer covering football or ice hockey.

New Threads

Top Bottom