• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are the most pleasant ASD labels to you?

What terms do you like the best

• ASD

Votes: 13 37.1%
  • Autistic

Votes: 14 40.0%
  • Person with autism

Votes: 3 8.6%
  • Aspergers

Votes: 8 22.9%
  • Aspie

Votes: 22 62.9%
  • Person on the spectrum

Votes: 7 20.0%
  • Autie

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Aspergian

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other not listed

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • Neurodiverse

Votes: 10 28.6%

• Total voters

Full Steam

The renegade master
V.I.P Member
I'm pretty sure I've missed one or two, so let me know and I'll add other choices.

I quite like Aspie, but it seems less than serious.

I also like autistic because it's correct and unifies all spectrum people, but comes with societal baggage, and I often use the terms ASD or spectrum as they seem to say the same thing without the baggage.

I'm pretty sure I've missed one or two, so let me know and I'll add other choices.
Homo sapiens superior...!
nerd_orig.gif
:p

How about Neur-D for short...? (I'll be here all week. Try the veal!)

Total confession... I am staring at this and I cant make it make sense to save my life. I'm starting to feel really stupid, because I know I am missing something probably very simple...
Dunce hat award is not an option thank God.

"Autistic", "autie" and "aspie" are the ones I like -- I like autie and aspie because they are non-clinical....much less chance of negative connotations. I wish that "autistic" was more widely seen as meaning everyone on the autism spectrum.

Total confession... I am staring at this and I cant make it make sense to save my life. I'm starting to feel really stupid, because I know I am missing something probably very simple...

We would need two dunce hats awards if it was because I didn't even notice it was odd, and then didn't notice it was humor (no criticism of your joke, Crossbreed, I like it, I think it's clever), until you posted this....

It's probably got a name (is it a pun? I just know it's wordplay, I'm not good with remembering stuff like that) but basically "Neur-D" sounds like "nerdy"

I prefer a label only in clinical setting such as with doctors for medical purposes. I preferred Aspergers because I feel it helps in those situations to distinguish while we are all on the spectrum, the part of the spectrum you are on and know the traits/personality of it.

I think it's Aspie for me.
I'm pretty new to all of this. When reading personal accounts or blogs online, alot of different terms were used. If someone described themselves as an Aspie in what they wrote I had a picture in my mind of someone who requires little assistance with their day to day functioning albeit accompanied by anxieties but with some pretty amazing abilities to adapt (intelligence)

When reading accounts of Autism, (over the past 12 months or thereabouts) more formal language and medical terms were used (mostly by parents) and mainly concerning a younger group of individuals.

Almost as if autism described the children and Asperger's described the adults?

I assumed it was funny because it sounds like 'nerdy'. I could be wrong though :p

New Threads

Top Bottom