• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are some weird things NTs have said in response to your behaviors/choices?

umbrellabeach

I went to an unfamiliar restaurant this evening and ordered the simplest thing I could find, which was on the kids' menu. When I asked for a kids' meal, the cashier called me "humble." I don't understand why. I've never heard of food being associated with humility, and the reason I ordered that item was that it was simple so it would be good for my food sensory issues. Unfortunately I never got the chance to explain that to the cashier since she did all the talking. Oh well. I liked what I got, anyway.
Has anyone else gotten weird responses like this?

Not exactly. Usually the waiter/waitress takes my plate away while I'm still eating. In a few cases I've snatched my plate back. One time I just made a desperate grab for the rest of my pizza and huddled around it. Let the skinny girl eat!

Why do they take it away?

They once gave me a colouring book. I'm twenty-six.

Last edited:
I went for a meal with my friend who was larking about because I was taking so long to read the menu. She said to the waitress -

'It's ok, he's special needs 'cos he has Asperges'

To which the waitress replied (I kid you not) -

'Well we do have a vegetarian menu, but it's not that good'

Why do they tale it away?

They once gave me a colouring book. I'm twenty-six.
I'm not sure. I know they like to take away plates they think you've finished with, but ya think a fork poised to skewer food would be a hint.

I went for a meal with my friend who was larking about because I was taking so long to read the menu. She said to the waitress -

'It's ok, he's special needs 'cos he has Asperges'

To which the waitress replied (I kid you not) -

'Well we do have a vegetarian menu, but it's not that good'
I see that asparagus mispronunciation has some extra merit.

I was once out for a meal with a friend last year and the waitress tried to take her plate away in front of her while she was sitting back having a 'breather'. She wasn't finished.

Not exactly. Usually the waiter/waitress takes my plate away while I'm still eating. In a few cases I've snatched my plate back. One time I just made a desperate grab for the rest of my pizza and huddled around it. Let the skinny girl eat!
Weird. Never has a waiter or waitress taken away my plate without asking first.

Same. In all my restaurant experiences, the waiter/waitress has always asked me if I'm done first.
I wonder if it's a regional thing. I've noticed through travelling and moving that in some places employees seem to be trained better in customer service than in others

I used to go to a chain restaurant where they always asked first even when the plates were completely cleaned off. I thought that was funny.

If you place your utensils in a way that signals you've finished eating, I will remove your plate. I'm not a mind reader and I expect my guests to know basics of dining. Utensils crossed - still eating, utensils together - finished, at least in my part of the world. People not being able to place utensils properly is really frustrating.

Why don't you just wait until they leave? Unless you are working at a fancy restaurant, in which case you would expect people who go there to know.

I work at a fancy restaurant, I'm supposed to give people good service, them not being receptive to it makes my job much harder. The worst is really people who try to help me out, lifting up their wine glasses for instance generally makes it much harder for me to pour properly and to pour the correct amount.

I've had trouble because some places won't allow an adult to order of the "kids" menu. I don't eat very much at once, so I hate buying a big meal, only to throw half of it away.

I have an awful time with menus. It's too much information and rarely organized in a way that's easy for me to follow. If I'm out with friends, I either ask the person I'm with what they like and order that (and hope for the best) or I order the same thing every single time because I don't need a menu to do that. When I'm with family, it's easier, because they'll wait patiently while I try to make sense of the menu. Or, if they know generally what I want (say, chicken, not steak), they'll get me to the right part of the menu, so I can find things more easily.

Allergies are even more fun (for my son, I don't have food allergies). Try explaining to the waiter that taking the apples out of the fruit salad is not adequate and they need to not put the fruit salad on the plate at all, unless they wanna make your kid super sick. If an apple touched it, he's going to react. Period. This is not a difficult concept, as it applies to the vast majority of food allergies.

I get asked "why do you do ___?" often enough. Sorry. Can't help it. It's called "stimming". *sigh*

If you place your utensils in a way that signals you've finished eating, I will remove your plate. I'm not a mind reader and I expect my guests to know basics of dining. Utensils crossed - still eating, utensils together - finished, at least in my part of the world. People not being able to place utensils properly is really frustrating.
I never heard of that. Interesting.

I never heard of that. Interesting.

I've heard it, but I've never actually encountered anyone who still followed it. :p Around here, if there's food on the plate, you ask before taking it. If the plate is empty, it's fair game to be picked up.

Wow, I thought that you turn your fork upside down (like pointing into the plate instead of up away from the plate) to indicate you're finished. I wonder if this is a geographical/cultural difference, depending on where you are in the country/world?

Well, here in South Africa its common that parallel utensils mean your done, and my culture originates from the Dutch.
"So is there cure?"
Asperger syndrome is a development disorder, you can't cure a amputated leg, and why would I want a cure?

Wow, I thought that you turn your fork upside down (like pointing into the plate instead of up away from the plate) to indicate you're finished. I wonder if this is a geographical/cultural difference, depending on where you are in the country/world?
It might very well be geographical.

How you use them is very culturally/geographically defined (as a kid I'd be severely told off for using them American style. Thai style would be unthinkable!), so what you do with them at the end probably is too.
I was taught to place knife and fork together at the twenty past four position, knife on the right of the fork facing in, fork curved side down.

New Threads

Top Bottom