• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What are some things that bring you joy?

Lysander

Hi everyone,

I find that it's easy to become so distracted by the many challenging forces that we may need to encounter daytoday, that we may need to remind ourselves what we would enjoy doing when we get the chance!:)

Consciously thinking about what you would like to do allows you to plan for it and increases your opportunity to do those things!

I would love to hear some hobbies that bring you all joy!

I love watching LOTR/Hobbit, reading Tolkien, playing Pokémon GO, walking in nature, animals and taking pictures;)

I love Tolkien too. I have all the films and books in book and audio form. I have a huge collection of Lotr figures (3 inch size). Maybe 1200 figures with accessories like Helms deep and seige towers, etc. I set them up rarely now, since my son grew up and moved out. I used to just like setting them up, but he would then fight big battles and knock them all down. Which allowed me to set them up again. :D But I still keep the collection. I also sculpt original figures to add to the army. I have more. I will list later.

I also enjoy Tolkien...

I don't find joy too much anymore, but some of the things that have traditionally brought me joy:

1. I build models of tanks & military equipment. If I'm in the "zone" (which I now see as aspie super-focus) it can be magical.
2. I paint figures (SF/Fantasy & Historical). Much of what I said in #1 applies here.
3. Studying history. I guess this is a "special interest" thing.
4. Tabletop gaming, especially RPGs. If I'm playing a well developed character with a lot of personality, it can be a blast! When all the elements in a character come together & I can define a good personality for it, it can be magical too...

I enjoy finding a unique piece of furniture or just an old ugly something and making a project out of it. I'm probably happiest when I'm redecorating (which I'm constantly doing).
Being around my kids and grandkids bring me joy, but also makes me exhausted and I have to have a few days to recover afterward.
Crochet, jigsaw puzzles, playing with my dog, photography and writing. I also like messing with indoor plants but if I give too much attention, they end up dying. lol
Some things I used to do but can't any more.

Learning brings me the most joy. When I can teach myself something new or I work through a particularly complex problem, I am the happiest.

Cooking, watching playing or happy animals, learning new things, and being completely immersed in a good book or video game.
Oh, and music and dancing. And working out.
Hanging out with friends as well. Joking around with my boyfriend.

Quite a lot of things actually, I’m just not always capable of feeling joy.

Where do I start. There's so many wonderful things to enjoy in the world and such a short time to appreciate them. I only wish navigating the world were a bit easier...
So here goes

My wife.
My cat.
Cooking and enjoying good food.
A really engrossing book.
Uploading a completed video to YouTube.
PG Tips Earl Grey tea.
CAKE
Learning new skills.
Waking up and feeling full of energy (rare)
Coming home after having been anywhere.
Trying anything new and discovering I love it.
Good, thoughtful sci-fi.
Trashy, mindless sci-fi.
Amaretto biscuit flavoured ejuice.
Loud, nasty rock music on my headphones after my wife has gone to bed.
Newcastle Brown Ale.
Bananas and custard.
Conversing with the many good people I've found on this forum.

That's enough for now :)

Hi everyone,

I find that it's easy to become so distracted by the many challenging forces that we may need to encounter daytoday, that we may need to remind ourselves what we would enjoy doing when we get the chance!:)

Consciously thinking about what you would like to do allows you to plan for it and increases your opportunity to do those things!

I would love to hear some hobbies that bring you all joy!

I love watching LOTR/Hobbit, reading Tolkien, playing Pokémon GO, walking in nature, animals and taking pictures;)
"JOY" What a concept. I'm not sure I ever experienced joy, as I understand the it. The only time I feel happy is when I am lost in doing something and the whole rest of the world, especially people, sort of fade away and disappear. It doesn't really matter what it is, so long as I get lost in it. I can't stay there because someone is always disturbing me.

Last edited:
I love walking on crunchy leaves in the autumn. It brings me far more joy than it should to an adult my age. I just love the sound and the texture of it. This time of year, you can always find me going out of my way to walk on crunchy leaves.

I'm going to have to think about this one... I don't feel a lot of joy, but I do like some things...

My partner.
My cats + most animals really, they're fun to watch.
Drawing.
Metal music - even more so when I discover a new awesome song or artist.
Trees - especially forests on sunny warm days.
And... CAKE! (sorry, had to steal that one Autistamatic :D )

I love going to the beach by myself and walking along the shore. I get lost in the sound of the waves and the wind.

I enjoyed laying on a blanket in my backyard as a child and watching the clouds.

I enjoy alone time in my room playing video games and listening to music.

I enjoy doing a Bible study and learning something new.

I enjoy texting a close friend and even talking on the phone if they are a close friend.

I enjoy riding my bike alone and daydreaming.

I enjoy playing with gadgets and small things that do things.

A good massage.

A9MS.gif

My dog brings me joy. Whenever I want her, I know exactly where she is: at a chokepoint between me and the front door. She likes licking my face while I scratch behind her ears. She's a really lovey dog like that.

I love Tolkien too,I am a massive fan of the books and movies and I even have lord of the rings inspired jewellery in my collection which includes the one ring,the evenstar pendant and Arwen’s brooch,I also find joy in my doll collecting and also I get joy from when a drawing I do turns out the way I wanted it,I am also a animal lover and dogs always make me happy though it’s been almost a year since my dog passed away and I miss him very much.

time spent with family and friends
being immersed in nature
hiking
the ocean
gazing at stars/ the night sky
sightseeing/ exploring historic buildings/ architecture
teaching woodworking to elementary school children
playing and listening to music
Autumn - my favorite season
The changing weather, the atmosphere just after it's rained
The scent of night-blooming jasmine, and, espresso, rosemary, wood-fired bread, wafting in the air
chocolat
photography
cooking/ baking
sewing
building
reading

Last edited:
As I've said several times on here...

Mainly my photography, I probably spend too much time doing it, but it gets me out of the house and into the open air, usually just a stroll downtown...

What else?

A performance of music or poetry, usually in small venues like coffee shops...

When it's summer, going to a classic car show...

Heading out of town on road trips, exploring back roads with my camera...

Just simply going for a walk, I even enjoy winter walks, even on cold days...

All of the above are associated with my photography...

Discovering really good new music.
Ordering and then getting a new album in the post to add to my collection.
Seeing my collection grow.
Walking in the forest and finding mushrooms.
Eating good food.
Learning new things.
Reading something interesting on the internet.
Watching documentaries.
Visiting new places.

New Threads

Top Bottom