• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What age did you or would you let your hair go grey?

Primrose

V.I.P Member
My hair is still it's natural colour at the moment. I'm thinking when it starts to go grey in the future I will let it.

I know many people even in their 80's around here still get their hair dyed. I think I prefer the natural look though.

Interested in others thoughts on grey hair.

I just let it be its natural colour (whatever that is), I've never wanted to dye it and never will. And why anyway? What's wrong with grey hair? :)

Natural is definitely best. We are who we are. Why hide it?

I actually shave my head, and have done for 30 years, but if I didn't the remaining hair would be grey. Some people think I used to be blonde, when I had dark curly hair as a young man. My beard is grey, with a few specks of dark still in it, but you can only see that if I grow it though.

@Yeshuasdaughter, you make me have hair envy!

I noticed my first threads of grey when I was in my 20s. Just a few here and there. I ignored them and now, in my 50s, I have about 10-15% grey hair. I may never be fully grey. My mother at 74 has no grey at all and she does not dye her hair. My dad is full silver.

But my hair is changing in other weird ways. As I get older I suddenly have weird curls develop. Some of my greys are even full on spiral curls but we are talking individual hairs. The rest is a weird mash of chunks of strait and curly. To combat this weirdness I got a bob hair cut. But with humidity my hair poofs out and I look like a pumkin head!
Overnight I became "matronly". Aaagghhhh!!!!

I'm a natural dark blonde and have curly hair. I used to dye it a color as close to my natural color as possible to cover the white hairs. I hated it. Dye damages the scalp and affects the texture of hair, making it feel like straw. At about age 40, I said to heck with dye, and asked my long term hairdresser to help me grow it out. By then, my silvery white roots were already showing so she cut my hair really short. My hair (and nails) grow very fast so within a month or two, the dyed hair was gone, cut off, and I grew my hair to a comfortable length.

My hair now is a natural silvery blonde and it is thick, healthy and shiny. Most people who don't know me just think my hair is silver blonde rather than old lady "gray" hair. I like it and people compliment me about my hair. I will NEVER dye my hair again. That's too great a price for vanity. :)

I'm starting to gray and I wouldn't think of dying my hair. I'm a man so I know it's not as common for men to dye their hair to hide the gray. But my wife's hair is graying and she decided not to dye it and I think it's great the way it is. Right now it's like she has natural highlights and streaks that women pay a lot of money for to look that way.

I started dying my hair in my mid to late forties when my kids kept telling me I look so old. I stopped in my late fifties because I didn't want to fuss with it any more and apply more chemicals to my body that I didn't need. My natural hair is a mishmash of color from white to black and every shade in between the back being darker than the front. My eyebrows are light brown and I pluck the occasional stark white or black hair out of them when they occur.

Mine started to go grey in late 40s I think. Funny thing was after all these massive treatments for Leukemia (late 50s) when it grew back in it was brown again and still is several years later.

I won't color it but don't think there is anything wrong with doing so. But I think if you do, you have to keep up with it if you want it to look natural. Unless you like purple, green, etc.

Started getting white hairs in my early 20s, so I started dying my hair un-natural black as was the style at the time. I don't get gray, my hair is either black or white, supposedly something to do with native American ancestry. After I got married and settled down I just let it go, its now very Salt and pepper. My wife says I look distinguished, I think I just look old.

My mom dyed her hair and I wonder if it was a contributing factor to her contracting lymphoma. She was an otherwise extremely healthy person, ate a very healthy natural diet all her life, exercise, fit and trim, etc. No lymphoma in our family genetics that I know of.

What hair? With a bald spot and receeding, I cut it around 1/2 inch, so grey or my natural blond, I don't think it matters. I am not that vain.

If my hair would go gray or even better, all silver, yeah. Mine is gonna get cut short and dyed blond with a pink stripe. :p Or maybe I will grow it really long again and have them bleach it and turn it silver. Haven’t decided.

I started going gray in my 20s. Now it's silver white. Seems like my Irish grandma, and she used to dye hers black using walnut juice, as a younger woman. I did dye mine in my 40s, but now I don't bother, as there's no brown in it at all anymore. It looks fine, I don't care about being silver. It's cut very short.

I started going gray in my 20s. Now it's silver white. Seems like my Irish grandma, and she used to dye hers black using walnut juice, as a younger woman. I did dye mine in my 40s, but now I don't bother, as there's no brown in it at all anymore. It looks fine, I don't care about being silver. It's cut very short.

Sounds nice! I have a friend who uses herbs like sage, rosemary and thyme to darken her hair, seems to be effective. I think I'd prefer to just go grey, when the time comes.

My hair is going white hard to tell for me still looks blonde in the artificial lights in my bathroom incandescent lighting. maybe when I switch to more natural LED day light bulbs. I was always picky about the lighting when I looked at colour professionally.

Hell No !
I'm not ready yet :)

Plenty of anxiety over several years gave me :

1) - a noticeable white stripe. Like a white forelocke.
2) - rapid deterioration of hair pigment cells.

It's possible there's genetic involvement too.

I'm left with a 70 year olds hair on a fifty-odd year olds head.

Also when I hit fifty, I got curls and waves.
I look like I'm wearing a cumulonimbus cloud instead of a hat ! :)

So, No. Not yet. Give me hair dye and plenty of it.
I'll phase it out creatively when I'm ready.
I'm not ready yet :)

New Threads

Top Bottom