• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

What 1 thing do you wish non-aspies knew about Asperger's?

Divrom

V.I.P Member
The title says it all really.

What one thing do you wish NTs knew about Asperger's?

That vaccines don't give it and, even if you they did that's a parent basically saying that they think being aspie is worse than having something like the measles and in the end you're robbing your child of immunities just because you're scared of them not being nuerotypical.

That sometimes we need things explained to us more than once, or to be shown how to do something step by step. I've heard that many people with autism have a poor short-term memory, and I definitely find this to be the case with myself, even though my long-term memory is very good. Just because it takes me longer to do something or to truly digest what someone asked or said, doesn't make me any less intelligent than an NT.

I am not aspie per se
But not NT.
I wish people knew i am REALLY 12 yrs old. 15 on a good day. 10 on a bad day. You can scream iny face, punch me, kick me, and more but it wont change.

Just because I am reading Aristotle does not make me an adult.

I bet they wish i knew how confusing I am. Ummmm. I do which is why i stay alone

I just wish we could trade places for one day... there would be no need to say a word... : )

That many blunders, faux pas, gaffes, mistakes and errors on the part of Aspergers are due to Aspergers working things out logically - which is often at odds with NTs' social intuition in the situation. That Aspergers' lack the social-political hardwiring to intuit what to do/say/inhibit in a social situations (which includes most mainstream work situations) and therefore Aspergers have to reason out things in their minds, using their intellect - which can lead to terrible mismatches with the social world, which relies instead on animal instinct much of the time.

That just because Aspergers do X or fail to do X does not mean they're fine with what they've done or not done; that much of their behaviour causes them terrible stress and sleepless nights afterwards as they realise how differently from themselves others were interpreting the situation; that just because they did not interpret the situation 'correctly' at the time does not mean they don't interpret what's what afterwards - possibly even seeing details and nuances more acutely than many NTs.

Last edited:
I just wish we could trade places for one day... there would be no need to say a word... : )

Yeah, walk a mile with my brain and lets see if you can get out of the door.

When we switch back,after my boring mile in your brain I will be expecting a full apology.

Once you've recovered from your shock, and found your keys/phone/wallet.

Live and let live.

Get a hobby or "some" and let this crap go.

What may be lacking in sociability will be made up ten fold in intelligence, and then some, in many instances. Take it or leave it.

Creating a heated discussion (or wanting to have an arguement) with a HFA?
Obsessive, fact rich, results orientated, sleep is for the weak and who needs food anyway? logical and non dramatic Aspie.?
Book some time off work and gird your loins this won't be over in one evening.

That contrary to popular belief, Aspies and people with mental health issues in general, are NOT retarded.

I've been called that word and worse on many a forum before now.

That contrary to popular belief, Aspies and people with mental health issues in general, are NOT retarded.

Ummm....both myself and my brother have been called that at one time or another. Truthfully, who hasn't?

Think context rather than the actual definition of the word alone. Work on not taking such a word so literally.

In all fairness to yourself, I think you need to deal with the reality of how commonly people can incorrectly use words to define their disagreement of the opinions of others. That no matter who you have interacted with, that they are not delivering a perceivable or professional clinical evaluation of your words and actions. That in fact, they are simply using the word "retarded" as a euphemism to define what they either don't understand, or vehemently disagree with in a socially polarized atmosphere. No more, no less.

Perhaps it's best to simply avoid or limit your exposure to polarized social atmospheres and subjects where people might be more prone to using such words in the first place. And no, it's not a professional opinion. Just a suggestion of one person on the spectrum to another. ;)

That we are not 'less' than NT... we are just different... in an ideal world I'd like understanding and acceptance.. but I imagine we've got some time before that's realistic

New Threads

Top Bottom