• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

west Texas, New Mexico in March, where and when to go and avoid spring break crowds?

kay

Wanting to camp in desert areas in mid through late March but worried about spring break hikers and campers after reading about busiest times for Big Bend National Park. Anyone familiar with the western part of Texas and eastern half of New Mexico (maybe even south east Colorado) who would know of really great places to camp without people. In Missouri there is Prairie State Park which is even pretty much empty on Memorial day and Labor Day and certainly all of March. Any place similar out in the desert/high plains? If you know of a good enough spot that would work I would consider other options a bit farther north but the weather can get icy that time of year if I was to go to far up. We are looking for places with geologic interest and of course interesting plants and animals. A little history never hurts. I am a real nerd and can get excited over soil samples and my boyfriend loves bison. We also love dormant volcanoes. My boyfriend has a particular interest in badlands and collapsed volcanoes. Anyhoo, any advice?

My daughter and I once climbed to the top of Persimmon Gap Draw in Big Bend and never saw another person during our hike, but we did meet a huge golden eagle face-to-face when we reached the summit. That part of the park has some gorgeous, seriously remote desert wilderness (Dog Canyon, Devil's Den, Dagger Flat). You'll probably need a special pass to camp there. Most people who visit Big Bend go to Chisos Basin, so you should be able to steer clear of them by staying north.

My daughter and I once climbed to the top of Persimmon Gap Draw in Big Bend and never saw another person during our hike, but we did meet a huge golden eagle face-to-face when we reached the summit. That part of the park has some gorgeous, seriously remote desert wilderness (Dog Canyon, Devil's Den, Dagger Flat). You'll probably need a special pass to camp there. Most people who visit Big Bend go to Chisos Basin, so you should be able to steer clear of them by staying north.
Interesting. Persimmon Gap was one of the place names that had really interested my boyfriend due to his occasional obsession with making persimmon cookies. I sometimes forget how National Parks tend to have one popular area and the rest of the park gets ignored. I'll have to research that spot and see if it might work out. We aren't backpacking though so that could limit us quite a bit. But if we didn't have to hike too far we might consider some sort of hybrid backpacking. It's something I've been considering for a couple of nearby places that would be only slightly more trouble than our favorite walk-in camp site.

T or C in NM is a great area.
There are natural hot springs in town, two lakes, the Rio Grand, and several geological anomalies: Turtle back mtn, Elephant Butte, and.... a "buffalo" on the top of a mountain north of there. When viewed at the right angle they are very distinct. Also a ghost town and many great small towns nearby. Old volcanoes, abandoned mines, ect..

Many fossils, minerals, and artifacts to be found.
Might check out a few books: Gem trails of America and
Hot Springs of America... or something close... it has been a while.

Great area. Not crowded. Inexpensive and great weather.
Once rented a 2 bed, 2 bath house newly remodeled, all tile floor house for $350 a month! Not much work to be had though... BBQ on Broadway had breakfast for $2.22- 2 eggs, 2 pancakes, 2 bacon. It's been... wow... 15 + years though.

High Desert over Sonoran desert for me any day.

Have fun!!
It's cold and snowy where I'm at right now...

There are natural hot springs in town, two lakes, the Rio Grand, and several geological anomalies: Turtle back mtn, Elephant Butte, and.... a "buffalo" on the top of a mountain north of there. When viewed at the right angle they are very distinct. Also a ghost town and many great small towns nearby. Old volcanoes, abandoned mines, ect..

Once rented a 2 bed, 2 bath house newly remodeled, all tile floor house for $350 a month! Not much work to be had though... BBQ on Broadway had breakfast for $2.22- 2 eggs, 2 pancakes, 2 bacon. It's been... wow... 15 + years though.

Have fun!!
Not to mention one of the best names ever for a city. It's like a demand: Truth.... or Consequences. Awesome.

Have fun!!
I am interested in hot springs, particularly free and clothing optional. Is there somewhere you can legally collect fossils?

Not sure and it sort of depends on the weather... but The Enchanted Circle in North Eastern NM is really pretty and there is usually lots to do all year round. Taos is a pretty good town, nice people, nice shops, lots of places to camp... It is part of of a circle of ski resorts but its a really big circle...

Its not like it is crowded or anything and they usually have the roads in good shape even if the weather is bad... My Aunt has an old cabin up in Cimarron above the winter snow line, which is East of Taos not far form the Palisades (huge towering granite shards shooting straight up into the sky)... They are amazing. I have seen them all my life and they still fill me with wonder... What drove them out of the ground like that? I ask myself that question every time I see them...

Ruidoso or Cloudcroft, NM are both really cool little towns in eastern(ish) NM... Also ski resort towns but lots else to do also... They can be a little crowded at times simply because they were built not expecting to become so popular (Especially Ruidoso). Lots of native American culture in all these places. The streets are narrow and tight. The drive up to Ski Apache is something else, BUT if the weather is bad, I don't recommend it.

That road (though awesome), can be terrifying on a dry day... It climbs high and fast with wicked switch back turns and curves (many with no guard rails), but the scenery cant hardly be beat anywhere in NM (in my opinion). That road is so steep you need a vehicle with decent power to ascend it, and with some very good brakes and some skill on handling mountain braking coming back down. Its a 12,000 ft climb to the top in a really short distance. Lots of small bears, but some of the best trout fishing I have ever found. This is sort of like my back yard, so I have ran all over it most of my LIFE.

As far as Texas... Big Bend area is going to be hard to beat, plus best chances of good weather (maybe) : )

Not sure and it sort of depends on the weather... but The Enchanted Circle in North Eastern NM is really pretty and there is usually lots to do all year round. Taos is a pretty good town, nice people, nice shops, lots of places to camp... It is part of of a circle of ski resorts but its a really big circle...

Its not like it is crowded or anything and they usually have the roads in good shape even if the weather is bad... My Aunt has an old cabin up in Cimarron above the winter snow line, which is East of Taos not far form the Palisades (huge towering granite shards shooting straight up into the sky)... They are amazing. I have seen them all my life and they still fill me with wonder... What drove them out of the ground like that? I ask myself that question every time I see them...

Ruidoso or Cloudcroft, NM are both really cool little towns in eastern(ish) NM... Also ski resort towns but lots else to do also... They can be a little crowded at times simply because they were built not expecting to become so popular (Especially Ruidoso). Lots of native American culture in all these places. The streets are narrow and tight. The drive up to Ski Apache is something else, BUT if the weather is bad, I don't recommend it.

That road (though awesome), can be terrifying on a dry day... It climbs high and fast with wicked switch back turns and curves (many with no guard rails), but the scenery cant hardly be beat anywhere in NM (in my opinion). That road is so steep you need a vehicle with decent power to ascend it, and with some very good brakes and some skill on handling mountain braking coming back down. Its a 12,000 ft climb to the top in a really short distance. Lots of small bears, but some of the best trout fishing I have ever found. This is sort of like my back yard, so I have ran all over it most of my LIFE.

As far as Texas... Big Bend area is going to be hard to beat, plus best chances of good weather (maybe) : )
I have been to Taos one time but ended up having scurry on into Colorado because I think half of New Mexico was on fire by then and we ran out of places to go because highways kept closing. And I was with a non-hiking, non-camping aunt so I didn't see much anyways. But I must have been closeish to the Cimarron area.

Anywhere with no guard rails I am not doing again. Done that one too many times, once in Wyoming in a little Toyota Camry on roads that were 4-wheel only. I survived but it was so scary. I'll be driving a Soul with standard transmission (It's the car in my profile picture over there on your left. Taking the tent and hat you see in that photo, too. Love that hat). I only drive in mountains every 5 years on average so my experience is limited. Guess I'll have to miss the bears and trout and best views in New Mexico, I just get too scared.

I just talked to a friend of my boyfriend (she fed me a lemon square:)) and she told me the Big Bend part of Texas is one of the most beautiful places she's been. We are thinking we may go to Big Bend Ranch State Park hoping it might be less popular than the national park. All the Google street images of the area are so gorgeous.

One other possibility I am considering is going back to Guadeloupe National Park. That place has the feel of a barely used state park and I saw so little of it when I was there that I would love to go back. Still just concerned about going in late March, even that place attracts people during spring break.

If you know of any thimble museums in Texas or New Mexico I'm sure my boyfriend will want to visit! (That is a joke, he is pleading with me to not make him go to anything like a thimble museum because he knows how esoteric my taste can be. I am still upset that the cockroach museum is no longer in Plano.)

I have been to Taos one time but ended up having scurry on into Colorado because I think half of New Mexico was on fire by then and we ran out of places to go because highways kept closing. And I was with a non-hiking, non-camping aunt so I didn't see much anyways. But I must have been closeish to the Cimarron area.

Anywhere with no guard rails I am not doing again. Done that one too many times, once in Wyoming in a little Toyota Camry on roads that were 4-wheel only. I survived but it was so scary. I'll be driving a Soul with standard transmission (It's the car in my profile picture over there on your left. Taking the tent and hat you see in that photo, too. Love that hat). I only drive in mountains every 5 years on average so my experience is limited. Guess I'll have to miss the bears and trout and best views in New Mexico, I just get too scared.

I just talked to a friend of my boyfriend (she fed me a lemon square:)) and she told me the Big Bend part of Texas is one of the most beautiful places she's been. We are thinking we may go to Big Bend Ranch State Park hoping it might be less popular than the national park. All the Google street images of the area are so gorgeous.

One other possibility I am considering is going back to Guadeloupe National Park. That place has the feel of a barely used state park and I saw so little of it when I was there that I would love to go back. Still just concerned about going in late March, even that place attracts people during spring break.

If you know of any thimble museums in Texas or New Mexico I'm sure my boyfriend will want to visit! (That is a joke, he is pleading with me to not make him go to anything like a thimble museum because he knows how esoteric my taste can be. I am still upset that the cockroach museum is no longer in Plano.)
so I won't tell you about the lawn mower museum in Northwest England

so I won't tell you about the lawn mower museum in Northwest England
If only I could drive to that. That sounds like it might be equal to the vacuum cleaner museum in St. James Missouri. And yes, I have been to that one and got free magnets. So, have you been to the lawn mower museum? Is it good?

If only I could drive to that. That sounds like it might be equal to the vacuum cleaner museum in St. James Missouri. And yes, I have been to that one and got free magnets. So, have you been to the lawn mower museum? Is it good?
no never been ,heard about celebrities who have donated their Lawnmowers and gardening tools.
and I think lawnmowers from decades and centuries back .
I went to a Irish farm /home museum in Youghal(pron yawl) County Cork Republic of Ireland -liked that , there was a Welsh dresser and right at the bottom they have made cages for laying hens !to i imagine prevent foxes getting them !I had never seen that before.
they had taken a panel out of each of the small Doors and put in chicken wire then bedding with hay.

This conversation reminds me of Paisano Pete, formerly the world's largest roadrunner statue at 22 feet long and 11 feet tall (6.7m/3.35m). We saw him on the way to Big Bend. He has since been surpassed by one in Las Cruces made of refuse from a local dump. Recycled Roadrunner is 40 feet long and 20 feet tall (12.2m/6.1m).

PaisanoPete.jpg

Ummmm I'm not aware of any laws saying you can't pick up fossils, artifacts, and or gems/minerals. If you go looking they are literally laying on the ground.
A free remote hot springs.... San Francisco hot springs is in the mountains to the west I believe. It has been a long time and I was a little ... umm... out of it most of the time. Sex, drugs, and rock and roll and all that. Plus some very spiritual experiences. Locals say it is a "vortex".
Ojo Caliente is another hot springs up north. There are many to choose from.

We used to hike in a few miles with a screen and find the biggest misquete (sp?) tree/mound. Sift the sands in the shade... years ago it was likely a cool place to sit and work or rest. Lots of textured pottery shards and flint nappings. Just look for places that you would stay cool or protected. Never met a local that cared. I found a mono and matate in a cow pasture! Crystals and agates in the gravel driveways.

Any where in the state is a good place to visit. They even cleaned up downtown Albuquerque.

Have fun... I am more than a little envious as I sit here with frozen toes. -3°F here today. As the high probably. Lol.

This conversation reminds me of Paisano Pete, formerly the world's largest roadrunner statue at 22 feet long and 11 feet tall (6.7m/3.35m). We saw him on the way to Big Bend. He has since been surpassed by one in Las Cruces made of refuse from a local dump. Recycled Roadrunner is 40 feet long and 20 feet tall (12.2m/6.1m).

PaisanoPete.jpg
He is on my list of course, if we end up going that way. But I hadn't heard yet of the one in Las Cruces. Sounds like something I really need to see.

Ummmm I'm not aware of any laws saying you can't pick up fossils, artifacts, and or gems/minerals. If you go looking they are literally laying on the ground.
A free remote hot springs.... San Francisco hot springs is in the mountains to the west I believe. It has been a long time and I was a little ... umm... out of it most of the time. Sex, drugs, and rock and roll and all that. Plus some very spiritual experiences. Locals say it is a "vortex".
Ojo Caliente is another hot springs up north. There are many to choose from.

We used to hike in a few miles with a screen and find the biggest misquete (sp?) tree/mound. Sift the sands in the shade... years ago it was likely a cool place to sit and work or rest. Lots of textured pottery shards and flint nappings. Just look for places that you would stay cool or protected. Never met a local that cared. I found a mono and matate in a cow pasture! Crystals and agates in the gravel driveways.

Any where in the state is a good place to visit. They even cleaned up downtown Albuquerque.

Have fun... I am more than a little envious as I sit here with frozen toes. -3°F here today. As the high probably. Lol.
We are planning this trip for March so hopefully you will be thawing a bit by that time and have much less reason to feel envious. Of course I am pretty toasty here at 32 F. Not suppose to go into single numbers for days and then it will be the lows. Didn't know Albuquerque had a bad downtown area. And I missed it:p. I really like fossils but in Missouri it's mostly limited to shells, wormy looking critters, stuff like that. I need to take time to learn more about the fossils in the southwest since I will have time to look. This will be my first trip west that didn't include my aunt so I am really excited. Traveling alone or with my boyfriend or sister gives me opportunities I never had when I traveled with her. She bought her rocks and fossils rather than digging around in the gravel. She certainly missed out on the fun part.

you've made me think about Lyme regis in Southwest England, it was a big area in the 19 century for fossils .I've never seen fossils where I live on the coast.

New Threads

Top Bottom