• Welcome to Autism Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Aspergers Syndrome, Autism, High Functioning Autism and related conditions.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Private Member only forums for more serious discussions that you may wish to not have guests or search engines access to.
    • Your very own blog. Write about anything you like on your own individual blog.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon! Please also check us out @ https://www.twitter.com/aspiescentral

Were you imaginative as a child?

Daydreamer

Scatterbrained Creative
Fiction played a significantly large role in my childhood. In a way it helped me cope with my surroundings. Having an imaginary world that I could escape to when times got rough altered my mood at times. I spent years creating my own paracosm, adding small details to it each day (even down to the kind of markings the chairs had in a particular room).

Perhaps you could consider it an obsession. I was a peculiar child. As for imaginary friends, I had several. That last sentence probably makes it come across as though I was lacking in the friend area, however I actually had a group of friends but still felt lonely regardless. Out of place even. I designed leaflets for pretend events in this fake world, and even created a unique culture for it. Also, I came up with plenty of story ideas that I'd like to rewrite someday. My teachers would often remark that I "have a way with words". When I was in College I was offered a recommendation letter into a creative writing scholarship. Unfortunately, I had to turn it down. On the plus side, I'm still working in an area I find interesting.

Hopefully I'll be able to find some time during my studies to get into writing again. Although I am fairly swamped with coursework at the moment. I have to make a documentary, and create a mobile app. Lots of planning involved. Chances are I'll probably be on this forum less in the upcoming months than usual as a result. I'll try not to burn out though. Regular breaks are important too.

So, how about you? Were you imaginative as a child?

I hated having to talk when playing with other kids and much preferred playing alone so I didn't have to talk out loud. I always enjoyed that little fantasy world I created and also added more and more detail. I never grew out of it, though. And it's a place I can still go when things get real stressful or I'm worried over something I have no control over. The only way I can get it off my mind is to escape reality for a little while.
I can remember sitting down with a pen and paper drawing out the floor plan of the house, so, yes, a lot of detail in my own paracosm also. It's always been a nicer place to be than the real world. I don't have to talk out loud. I control all the characters and surroundings and I'm often off exploring Utah and Wyoming. :)
But I remember as a child I had several different scenarios and when I would lay down to go to sleep, it was like I would look inside my head and pull out the file of which I wanted for the night.
I used to write stories for my oldest sister to read and she loved them. Always wanted to write.

I remember having an imaginary friend when I was about 4. Mom freaked though so my friend wasn’t allowed back.
I don’t remember having much of an imagination, but once I discovered books, I would read for hours and lose myself in the story world.

I wasn't very imaginative as a child.
Never had imaginary friends or imaginary parties with dolls and such like other kids did.
I was always interested in the facts behind how things worked. My interests were in finding out
as much about everything as possible.
It wasn't until I was in my teens that I did become interested in getting lost in Science fiction or Fantasy
books. I learned to create in detail in my mind what everything would be like in the worlds I read about.

No, I wasn't very imaginative as a child. I didn't engage in imaginary play or games, didn't have imaginary friends and hated dolls, I was never into comics or superheroes or stuff like that, though I did like to read science fiction or adventure stories. I liked building or making things, exploring the countryside or doing experiments, learning about how things work and trying to invent things.

I had a totally imaginary world in my head with a thriving ecosystem and population. I always retreated there from the harsh real world. I have always enjoyed science fiction and speculative works, but also read non-fiction to make better sense of things around me, especially people.
I enjoy writing fiction, but I have a weakness. Whilst I can create lush, believable worlds and situations, I always struggle with dialogue. IRL I have a distinct need to be clear in conversation, to cover all the bases and I find my characters always do the same, which isn't very engaging for most readers.

Fiction played a significantly large role in my childhood. In a way it helped me cope with my surroundings. Having an imaginary world that I could escape to when times got rough altered my mood at times. I spent years creating my own paracosm, adding small details to it each day (even down to the kind of markings the chairs had in a particular room).

Perhaps you could consider it an obsession. I was a peculiar child. As for imaginary friends, I had several. That last sentence probably makes it come across as though I was lacking in the friend area, however I actually had a group of friends but still felt lonely regardless. Out of place even. I designed leaflets for pretend events in this fake world, and even created a unique culture for it. Also, I came up with plenty of story ideas that I'd like to rewrite someday. My teachers would often remark that I "have a way with words". When I was in College I was offered a recommendation letter into a creative writing scholarship. Unfortunately, I had to turn it down. On the plus side, I'm still working in an area I find interesting.

Hopefully I'll be able to find some time during my studies to get into writing again. Although I am fairly swamped with coursework at the moment. I have to make a documentary, and create a mobile app. Lots of planning involved. Chances are I'll probably be on this forum less in the upcoming months than usual as a result. I'll try not to burn out though. Regular breaks are important too.

So, how about you? Were you imaginative as a child?

Yes

I was very imaginative and creative as a child, I would come up with loads of wonderful ideas, but as I got older they seem to have dried up. I find it really difficult now to be creative.

Apparently I don't have quite the imagination as others on here. Either that or I'm just not into science fiction. My paracosm is more realistic, only it's MY reality and what makes me happy as opposed to actual reality that can make life miserable sometimes. Paracosm - @Daydreamer - looked it up after reading it in your post and I like it much more than daydreaming or fantasizing. It's more accurate in description. So, hope you don't mind - it's my new word. :) And it says you can actually physically experience whatever it is makes sense because I can take myself to Utah and feel that excitement and peace just as if I were actually there.

Apparently I don't have quite the imagination as others on here. Either that or I'm just not into science fiction. My paracosm is more realistic, only it's MY reality and what makes me happy as opposed to actual reality that can make life miserable sometimes.

Personally, I was quite into fantasy and speculative fiction. There were aliens involved in my world, and bizarre mythical creatures, but robots held the most significant part. I was often oddly fascinated with the relationship humanity has with technology and my imagination reflected that. There were realistic elements to it, but they were mixed with more outlandish ideas. Despite this world being my escape, it was far from a happy place. There were dystopian elements (A lot of them were metaphors for my frustration with my situation at the time, and my thoughts on certain issues), but also positive parts as well.

Paracosm - @Daydreamer - looked it up after reading it in your post and I like it much more than daydreaming or fantasizing. It's more accurate in description. So, hope you don't mind - it's my new word. :) And it says you can actually physically experience whatever it is makes sense because I can take myself to Utah and feel that excitement and peace just as if I were actually there.

I think it depends on what you are trying to describe. Daydreaming I tend to associate with one-off fantasies (although I have had reoccurring daydreams before, sometimes even in the same day) that aren't connected to any pre-established world. They are just your subconscious throwing random things together based on your current stream of thought. Whereas with a paracosm you already have a planned out story and world. Sometimes I add to mine, I like to write stories on it now and then. :)

Yes. Still am.

As evidenced by this creative and loquacious reply.

loquacious
ləˈkweɪʃəs/

adjective
  1. tending to talk a great deal; talkative.
Ha, irony. I approve. :D

Last edited:
Personally, I was quite into fantasy and speculative fiction. There were aliens involved in my world, and bizarre mythical creatures, but robots held the most significant part. I was often oddly fascinated with the relationship humanity has with technology and my imagination reflected that. There were realistic elements to it, but they were mixed with more outlandish ideas. Despite this world being my escape, it was far from a happy place. There were dystopian elements (A lot of them were metaphors for my frustration with my situation at the time, and my thoughts on certain issues), but also positive parts as well.

I think it depends on what you are trying to describe. Daydreaming I tend to associate with one-off fantasies (although I have had reoccurring daydreams before, sometimes even in the same day) that aren't connected to any pre-established world. They are just your subconscious throwing random things together based on your current stream of thought. Whereas with a paracosm you already have a planned out story and world. Sometimes I add to mine, I like to write stories on it now and then. :)

loquacious
ləˈkweɪʃəs/

adjective
  1. tending to talk a great deal; talkative.
Ha, irony. I approve. :D
Yes. That's why day dream and fantasy never really fit, and paracosm fit the definition whereas I had no other definition before you shared it. So thanks for that.

Yep.
Still do, but not as much as I would like to.
I had a good friend that let me play a lot of solo adventures in Dungeons and Dragons (table top roleplaying). In retrospect I think he learned me a lot about how the world works (How NPCs react). I wore him out, but it had sparked an interest that I still am passionate about today. For me imagination is a mix between running scenarios that are relevant to the real world and escape from reality. Every other thought I have play out into alternate realities. I am almost starting to think my brain is just the framework for running scenarios, but with limited capacity for deep knowledge of... well, everything, it is flawed and I can be replaced by AI soon. But I hope that scenario does not play out in my lifetime.

I had a very rich imaginative play life. That was my preferred life. I even had my own small helicopter, plane, and boat. I was completely free of all rules. I lived a hassle free life. This was my escape safe place.

I wasn't very imaginative as a child.
Never had imaginary friends or imaginary parties with dolls and such like other kids did.
I was always interested in the facts behind how things worked. My interests were in finding out
as much about everything as possible.
It wasn't until I was in my teens that I did become interested in getting lost in Science fiction or Fantasy
books. I learned to create in detail in my mind what everything would be like in the worlds I read about.
This is similar to me. I used to look at book that had exploded diagrams and cut way pictures of machines, tanks and airplanes and would figure out how parts of them worked.
Irritated my teachers at school because I often couldn't sit still until I told the class what I had figured out

I was/am not imaginative either. All my stories and play were derivative, not original. Not that I would even write the stories. I really hated creative writing and would get anxious about it and become catatonic (art of selective mutism?) but also I still can't do imaginative art, only art from observation. That's okay though. I am still creative!

New Threads

Top Bottom